British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anybody-here-have-family-will-refuse-visit-us-due-gun-fears-849350/)

Cornelius Suttree Dec 22nd 2014 9:12 pm

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

My aunt/uncle/a few cousins will not come to America because they are convinced they will be a victim of a mass shooting. Anybody else here have relatives/close friends that will not visit America because they are terrified of being a victim of a gun crime?

Nutmegger Dec 22nd 2014 9:18 pm

Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

No.

sir_eccles Dec 22nd 2014 9:24 pm

Not as such.

Though I think my brother in law shows little interest in visiting for political reasons (Patriot Act, fingerprinting at the airport type stuff).

lansbury Dec 22nd 2014 10:07 pm

No quite the reverse. Family visiting next May have already asked to be taken to the local range.

SanDiegogirl Dec 22nd 2014 10:12 pm

Not refusing to visit because of the gun culture, but they would never live here due to the politics and the fact there is a gun culture.

The pain of flying (security checks, flight delays, and length of flight) puts them off visiting more often though......

Hotscot Dec 22nd 2014 10:16 pm

Cornelius is a troll.

Likes to lob grenades then sits back...

Be aware.

(Moderators, please review.)

Cornelius Suttree Dec 22nd 2014 10:34 pm

When have I sat back? You threw a similar accusation against me in the poverty thread, yet I was posting towards the end. Sorry I don't spend my entire day on here.

kins Dec 22nd 2014 10:56 pm

Americans used to refuse to visit the UK because of the threat of bombs, Lockerbie, etc.

I don't see why Brits would be immune from similar stupidity...

Mrs Danvers Dec 22nd 2014 11:02 pm

My parents always loved coming here. However due to health issues and issues of trying to get health insurance for the duration they have decided not to come any more. They are in their mid seventies.

Friends have come and had no qualms about safety either.

The only issue they ever had was an immigration officer getting shirty with my father. He has steel pins in one of his legs and it set off the metal detector (but never has at any other airport other than Dulles)

Bob Dec 22nd 2014 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11510769)
No quite the reverse. Family visiting next May have already asked to be taken to the local range.

Speaking of local range...what's the going rate?

There's a new one opening up nearby, but it's $400 initiation fee and then $200 a year membership for the basic one. You get storage space and the like for a bit more.

Seemed a little excessive. There's a guest fee if you're with a member to shoot.

Sally Redux Dec 22nd 2014 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree (Post 11510801)
When have I sat back? You threw a similar accusation against me in the poverty thread, yet I was posting towards the end. Sorry I don't spend my entire day on here.

So do you have such relatives? What is your view?

Cornelius Suttree Dec 23rd 2014 12:05 am

I think it is sad that we live in a nation where it is completely rational to fear getting shot anywhere. Yet it happens. Way too much. Even in "nice" areas.

Sally Redux Dec 23rd 2014 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree (Post 11510882)
I think it is sad that we live in a nation where it is completely rational to fear getting shot anywhere. Yet it happens. Way too much. Even in "nice" areas.

I don't think visitors necessarily worry about it but it is a concern living there.

Michael Dec 23rd 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree (Post 11510882)
I think it is sad that we live in a nation where it is completely rational to fear getting shot anywhere.

You are so full of BS. I lived most of my life in the US and I never thought of ever getting shot. When I was a kid, my parents left the front door unlocked day and night.

However when I lived in safe Switzerland for 5 years, one of the girls in the group got raped in the elevator in her apartment building and a couple of other girls had to watch some guy masturbating out of his window when they came home. When the Swiss police were called, they said they couldn't do anything about it unless they witnessed it themselves. The girls asked the police to come any night when they got home and turned on the light and within 10 minutes, he'll be there but they police said they were too busy.

Hotscot Dec 23rd 2014 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree (Post 11510801)

You have originated several contentious threads then declined to participate.

Look how many posts you've made. If you're going to bring up a discussion point it behooves you to stick around and contribute to the discussion.

That's how it works around these parts.

Otherwise, that's how trolls operate.

(Plus, you talk rubbish.)