Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Old Dec 30th 2014, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

The following are the minimum blood tests they run every time I visit the VA and they give me a copy plus the my medical history and lab results are also online. My maid's doctor won't give her a copy of her lab results as if he is god and only he can understand and interpret the results. The HBA1C test is performed because my glucose levels are a little high but all the others have been done annually since I first used the VA.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?-blood-test.jpg  
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
..... I shall ask though as I doubt I get anywhere near enough sun (even in summer I avoid sun as I burn within a short time, red hair and freckles.) and I don't drink milk as it's gross, but I do eat cheese and they supplement the cheese but its not much, so a supplement makes sense.
Milk is not "gross". ..... That said, I am probably drinking your share and then some.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I drink milk with every meal. It's my go to...
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I drink milk with every meal. It's my go to...
Mine too. With breakfast, lunch when I'm at home, and then usually 2-4 12oz glasses before bed. We average about 4-5 gallons a week.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The following are the minimum blood tests they run every time I visit the VA and they give me a copy plus the my medical history and lab results are also online. My maid's doctor won't give her a copy of her lab results as if he is god and only he can understand and interpret the results. The HBA1C test is performed because my glucose levels are a little high but all the others have been done annually since I first used the VA.
Certain tests have protocol that needs to be met before the government will provide payment for it, Vit. D testing is one so unless the need for the test fits within the protocol medical services won't cover it. You can still get it, you just have to cover the cost yourself.

I have access to my lab results online, so the doctor can't withhold them from me, which he doesn't anyhow, he will print results of anything you ask from your medical record, he has no issue with patients having copies, but lab results are available online directly to the patient, although some can be tricky to understand if not medically trained to interpret them.

I've been tested for the following in the last year:

Urine Chem

Hematology profile:

RBC
WBC
Hemoglobin
Hematocrit
MCV
RDW
Platelet Count
MPV

Neutrophils
Lymphocytes
Monocytes
Eosinophils
Basophils

Sodium
Potassium
Creatinine

Total Bilirubin

Alkaline Phosphatase

Gamma GT

ALT

Amylase

Serum Proteins:

C Reative Protein

Immunology:

Tissue Transglutaminase antibody IgA

Nuclear Ab

Rheumatoid Factor

Vit B12

Ferratin

Glucose Fasting

LDL Cholesterol

HDL Cholesterol

Triglycerides

TSH

I have no idea what most of it is, but the doctor hasn't seen anything concerning except with Liver enzymes being off, but the usual suspects have been ruled out, and the liver shows no physical signs of damage and appears normal from the ultra sound, so not sure at this point why my liver enzymes are always off.

The human body can be tricky that is for sure, and sometimes seems to have identifiable cause at times why something is happening, and stumps doctors.

I am getting a liver biopsy sometime in the next 6 months, but the doctor doesn't think anything will come back, doing it as a precaution.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mine too. With breakfast, lunch when I'm at home, and then usually 2-4 12oz glasses before bed. We average about 4-5 gallons a week.
My GF likes milk, she drinks about 1 gallon a week. I use a tiny amount on cereal, but I don't drink the left over, I dump it down the sink.

I just don't like the taste, never have even as a kid, my mom had a hell of a time getting me to drink it. I usually wouldn't and gave it to the dog.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:37 am

..... I use a tiny amount on cereal, but I don't drink the left over, I dump it down the sink. .....
My FIL does that. He takes barely enough milk to get the cereal wet, and throws any at the bottom of the bowl away.
.... I just don't like the taste, never have even as a kid, my mom had a hell of a time getting me to drink it. I usually wouldn't and gave it to the dog.
One of the biggest problems with seven year old little Miss P's eating habits is that she fills up on milk before she has eaten the meal she has been given. We try to ration her milk during the early part of the meal, but if we blink she will swill down 4-6oz from the 12oz glass we give her. She usually has a 6-12oz second glass anyway towards the end of her meal.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the doctor as to what blood tests are run. My doctor was old school...he tested for almost everything...for years my annual blood test has run into 3 pages. My cholesterol is excellent...good chol. extremely high...bad chol. extremely low. Everything else is good...apart from the Rheumatoid Factor which is high...around 200. I have had tests for RA which have shown I am not predisposed to RA. A year ago tests on my liver where high...but I had diverticulitis resulting in colon resection surgery. Blood tests 6 months later were back to normal.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 31st 2014 at 9:09 am. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Certain tests have protocol that needs to be met before the government will provide payment for it, Vit. D testing is one so unless the need for the test fits within the protocol medical services won't cover it. You can still get it, you just have to cover the cost yourself.

I have access to my lab results online, so the doctor can't withhold them from me, which he doesn't anyhow, he will print results of anything you ask from your medical record, he has no issue with patients having copies, but lab results are available online directly to the patient, although some can be tricky to understand if not medically trained to interpret them.
You can google them all to see what they are testing for. My printout gives the low-high normal range and the results of the test with a "L" or "H" next to the results if out of range. As long as the result is in range, I'm not concerned.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think it depends on the doctor as to what blood tests are run. My doctor was old school...he tested for almost everything...for years my annual blood test has run into 3 pages. My cholesterol is excellent...good chol. extremely high...bad chol. extremely low. Everything else is good...apart from the Rheumatoid Factor which is high...around 200. I have had tests for RA which have shown I am not predisposed to RA. A year ago tests on my liver where high...but I had diverticulitis resulting in colon resection surgery. Blood tests 6 months later where back to normal.
For the most part yes, but certain tests here anyhow have certain protocol that must be met for MSP (medical services) to cover the cost. Most tests are completely covered no issue, but the more expensive one's the doctor has to justify a medical need for it to have it covered.

Luckily there are only a small amount of tests that have the protocols in place so they don't come up very often.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
You can google them all to see what they are testing for. My printout gives the low-high normal range and the results of the test with a "L" or "H" next to the results if out of range. As long as the result is in range, I'm not concerned.
My results have the L and H as well and normal range. Everything is good mostly, cholesterol is a tad high, but I have adjusted my diet, and it wasn't so high to be a concern, just a note to change diet a bit, eat less fast food.

And the liver being a bit high, but no clue why yet, doctor was hoping the ultrasound would provide an answer but everything looked normal, so next step is a biopsy last I knew.

I get more blood work done next week, so maybe the liver is normal by now, been 3 months since last check.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And the liver being a bit high, but no clue why yet, doctor was hoping the ultrasound would provide an answer but everything looked normal, so next step is a biopsy last I knew.

I get more blood work done next week, so maybe the liver is normal by now, been 3 months since last check.
I assume it is the ALT test that is abnormal since I didn't notice any other liver tests taken in your list.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tested for the following in the last year:

Urine Chem .....

<snip>

TSH

I have no idea what most of it is, but the doctor hasn't seen anything concerning except with Liver enzymes being off, but the usual suspects have been ruled out, and the liver shows no physical signs of damage and appears normal from the ultra sound, so not sure at this point why my liver enzymes are always off.

The human body can be tricky that is for sure, and sometimes seems to have identifiable cause at times why something is happening, and stumps doctors.

I am getting a liver biopsy sometime in the next 6 months, but the doctor doesn't think anything will come back, doing it as a precaution.
Has your doctor suggested Low-T (testosterone) as a possible cause?

I had never heard of this until my friend in the US mentioned it recently. She and I now discuss health a lot as we are both approaching (or in, depending on your definition) middle age. She is late 40's, I am mid-50's.

She also brought vitamin D deficiency to my attention, and I plan to ask my doctor here to order a set of blood tests including vitamin D levels, as we have almost NO exposure to sunlight here in Scotland! She got hers tested after feeling very fatigued, muscle aches, etc., and it turned out she was D-deficient. So, even in sunny Georgia, you can be D-deficient!
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My GF likes milk, she drinks about 1 gallon a week. I use a tiny amount on cereal, but I don't drink the left over, I dump it down the sink.

I just don't like the taste, never have even as a kid, my mom had a hell of a time getting me to drink it. I usually wouldn't and gave it to the dog.
I'm the same as you. I take milk with cereal (though I usually will finish what's in the bowl) and I take a little in tea but I just don't like to drink it straight.

Mix in some strawberry or chocolate flavour and I'm all over it though

One of the biggest problems with seven year old little Miss P's eating habits is that she fills up on milk before she has eaten the meal she has been given. We try to ration her milk during the early part of the meal, but if we blink she will swill down 4-6oz from the 12oz glass we give her. She usually has a 6-12oz second glass anyway towards the end of her meal.
My daughter will put away milk like it's going out of fashion, too. The only problem with that is when she asks for a glass near to bedtime, but then she falls asleep not touching it. I hate throwing away full glasses of milk in the morning but by that time it's gone all minging.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Milk is not "gross". ..... That said, I am probably drinking your share and then some.
We now get raw milk from the local farmers' market - excellent stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.