Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any steps to make getting credit easy in USA?

Wikiposts

Any steps to make getting credit easy in USA?

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:32 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all
Default Re: Any steps to make getting credit easy in USA?

Originally Posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

I'm going through the K1 fiancee visa process at the moment. Our wedding date is set for July 10 next year, and we'll be living in America thereafter.

My question is, I guess to other Brits/Aussies who've immigrated is are there any steps you can take while outside of America to make getting credit easier when you enter America?

I realise If I was loaded I wouldn't have a problem. But my fiancee and I have talked about wanting to buy a home within 2 years of my living over there, funds permitting. So a mortgage is a priority. Neither of us is bankrupt, and i've got great credit in UK/Australia as i've lived in both.

Also in relation to credit cards, If I have an Amex Credit Card in the UK is it easy to get one in the USA? I'm just wondering what are the best steps to move up the credit system in the states when I get there.

Thanks in advance
I've been here in the USA nearly 6 years and I still have a hard time getting decent credit rates. I've worked hard to maintain a perfect history with no late payments etc but it hasn't been easy because my wife's credit history was destroyed by a bankruptcy a few years before I met her. The only company that was willing to take a risk on me was capital one who gave me a $200 limit(wow that was big of them) when I got my first job and SSN. This was soon followed to my complete shock by a best buy card. My first big mistake was not understanding my credit properly because I took the advice that I should apply for as much credit as was reasonable so that I could begin establishing myself. Unfortuately, I got turned on a number of occasions which of course went against me with all the credit inquiries. Everyone is right here when they say that the US companies take zero notice of credit history outside of the US which really pissed me off as I had good credit back in the UK. Basically its all a question of time and paying your bills on time...also having a mortgage will greatly help your credit.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

hi,i was just wondering how you could plan your wedding so far in advance,as we cant arrange our until i have had my interview and no one tells us when that will be exactly,and the visa is only good for 4 months after you receive it,thx for any answer,chris
Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
I've been here in the USA nearly 6 years and I still have a hard time getting decent credit rates. I've worked hard to maintain a perfect history with no late payments etc but it hasn't been easy because my wife's credit history was destroyed by a bankruptcy a few years before I met her. The only company that was willing to take a risk on me was capital one who gave me a $200 limit(wow that was big of them) when I got my first job and SSN. This was soon followed to my complete shock by a best buy card. My first big mistake was not understanding my credit properly because I took the advice that I should apply for as much credit as was reasonable so that I could begin establishing myself. Unfortuately, I got turned on a number of occasions which of course went against me with all the credit inquiries. Everyone is right here when they say that the US companies take zero notice of credit history outside of the US which really pissed me off as I had good credit back in the UK. Basically its all a question of time and paying your bills on time...also having a mortgage will greatly help your credit.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
hi,i was just wondering how you could plan your wedding so far in advance,as we cant arrange our until i have had my interview and no one tells us when that will be exactly,and the visa is only good for 4 months after you receive it,thx for any answer,chris
You are posting in the wrong forum - try 'US marriage based immigration'.

Also you need to state your circumstances and define your problem clearly so that people can help you.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this is an old thread, dating back from 2003! I'll bet the OP has probably got it sorted by now....
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Wow, this is an old thread, dating back from 2003! I'll bet the OP has probably got it sorted by now....
I know - but Chukka (who I was replying to) posted yesterday. Thought I'd give her a helping hand...