Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one from S/East CT?

Any one from S/East CT?

Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one from S/East CT?

Originally Posted by Stacey p
So we took the plunge and are living in Old Lyme CT. We moved from Bristol England in January which is where I'm originally from, the hubby is from Fife Scotland, all is good so far, just so many things we want to do and see whilst we're out here! Kids are enjoying school, hubby enjoying job ( most of the time it is still a job lol ), I have started a course for a diploma in illustrating childrens books which I'm loving, and have discovered skype is an amazing thing to have, I can gab for hours to the family back home and its free! I have had enough marmite sent over to last me the year mmmmm, and the hubby has another order of brown sauce to come over in June with the inlaws. Now just to find a good Indian takeaway....

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here living my way and wanted to share there moving experiences, where they live now and how they are finding it..........

Hi Stacey

We moved to Bethel CT in February and for one reason or another,I've really struggled with the move, and have been plagued over the last few weeks with terrible homesickness, but I attribute this to things that have happened since we moved, rather than the move itself if you get my drift.

I love where we are. It's a relatively small town, but the people have been fantastic. The accent is still a bit of a problem and I'm now very aware to slow down when speaking to anyone in the local shops. Our neighbours have been brilliant and would probably be headed back to Scotland had it not been for their support. They have taken us out for drinks, got us involved in local events in the town and all in all, have been a godsend for me.

My 2 younger kids are settling well. The oldest - not. She absolutely hates it here and we've had major hassles with the High School and trying to establish what grade - if any - she was to be in. This is now sorted out, but she is returning home in July for 7 weeks - don't know if this is a good idea, but feel I have no choice but to let her go and hope and pray that she makes the right decision to come back here and give it a go with the rest of the family.

We had to get our beloved Rottweiler put to sleep also - long story - which has been an extremely rough emotional ride. We payed a lot of money to get him here and to have to make that decision so early on in our move, was heartbreaking to say the least and hit myself and my husband extremely hard.

I don't mean to sound negative. All in all, it's been tougher than I thought, but we waited a long time to give this a go, and I will give it 100% while we're here. There are many positives along with the negatives and only when I talk to people back home, do I realise fully, how I'm lucky to at least have this opportunity and will do my best to make it work.

I hope your journey has been smoother than mine and I hope you've settled in to Connecticut life. Good luck for the coming months and have a great summer
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Stacey p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any one from S/East CT?

Originally Posted by Brat1
Hi Stacey

We moved to Bethel CT in February and for one reason or another,I've really struggled with the move, and have been plagued over the last few weeks with terrible homesickness, but I attribute this to things that have happened since we moved, rather than the move itself if you get my drift.

I love where we are. It's a relatively small town, but the people have been fantastic. The accent is still a bit of a problem and I'm now very aware to slow down when speaking to anyone in the local shops. Our neighbours have been brilliant and would probably be headed back to Scotland had it not been for their support. They have taken us out for drinks, got us involved in local events in the town and all in all, have been a godsend for me.

My 2 younger kids are settling well. The oldest - not. She absolutely hates it here and we've had major hassles with the High School and trying to establish what grade - if any - she was to be in. This is now sorted out, but she is returning home in July for 7 weeks - don't know if this is a good idea, but feel I have no choice but to let her go and hope and pray that she makes the right decision to come back here and give it a go with the rest of the family.

We had to get our beloved Rottweiler put to sleep also - long story - which has been an extremely rough emotional ride. We payed a lot of money to get him here and to have to make that decision so early on in our move, was heartbreaking to say the least and hit myself and my husband extremely hard.

I don't mean to sound negative. All in all, it's been tougher than I thought, but we waited a long time to give this a go, and I will give it 100% while we're here. There are many positives along with the negatives and only when I talk to people back home, do I realise fully, how I'm lucky to at least have this opportunity and will do my best to make it work.

I hope your journey has been smoother than mine and I hope you've settled in to Connecticut life. Good luck for the coming months and have a great summer
Hi Brat1,

Sorry to here your move has not been so great. Thankfully we have had an easier time so far, and sorry to here about your beloved dog, thats such a shame. Its just something you dont need at this point and aspecially when you have just had him brought over.

Its a shame for your daughter too, I'm sure she will settle eventually, it takes some of us longer than others, maybe when she goes home and realises that nothing has changed, friends are still doing the same thing ect she will feel better about coming here. My hubby lived in hong kong for 2 years when he was younger and he never wanted to go, but after the 2 years he didnt want to go back to Scotland! Where abouts in Scotland are you from? Hubby is from Fife and I am from SW England, although most of my family are from Glasgow.

Glad to here you have good neighbours though, we fortunately have had the same welcome around here and your right it is a god send. We only moved in January, in fact its 6 months tomorrow exactly and it has gone so fast. We are here for 3 years (maybe a little longer depending what happens) how long are you here for? Remember whenever you feel homesick just think of this as a big holiday, and if things get really bad you can always go back.

Do you have skype? If not you should check it out. Its all free when the other person has skype aswell, and it really helps to see someone aswell as talk to them when your missing them.

And don't worry about sounding negative, sometimes its nice to come on here and have a rant then you feel much better lol.