Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any one from S/East CT?

Any one from S/East CT?

Old May 22nd 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Stacey p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any one from S/East CT?

So we took the plunge and are living in Old Lyme CT. We moved from Bristol England in January which is where I'm originally from, the hubby is from Fife Scotland, all is good so far, just so many things we want to do and see whilst we're out here! Kids are enjoying school, hubby enjoying job ( most of the time it is still a job lol ), I have started a course for a diploma in illustrating childrens books which I'm loving, and have discovered skype is an amazing thing to have, I can gab for hours to the family back home and its free! I have had enough marmite sent over to last me the year mmmmm, and the hubby has another order of brown sauce to come over in June with the inlaws. Now just to find a good Indian takeaway....

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here living my way and wanted to share there moving experiences, where they live now and how they are finding it..........
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one from S/East CT?

I'm from CT originally, from Old Saybrook, and have been to Old Lyme many times (mostly when I was a kid, though...lol).

You should check out Devil's Hopyard state park, and also Gillette's castle. Those are the two things I remember most from CT.

http://www.ct.gov/dEP/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325188
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325204

Welcome to the USA!

Rene
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stacey p
So we took the plunge and are living in Old Lyme CT. We moved from Bristol England in January which is where I'm originally from, the hubby is from Fife Scotland, all is good so far, just so many things we want to do and see whilst we're out here! Kids are enjoying school, hubby enjoying job ( most of the time it is still a job lol ), I have started a course for a diploma in illustrating childrens books which I'm loving, and have discovered skype is an amazing thing to have, I can gab for hours to the family back home and its free! I have had enough marmite sent over to last me the year mmmmm, and the hubby has another order of brown sauce to come over in June with the inlaws. Now just to find a good Indian takeaway....

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here living my way and wanted to share there moving experiences, where they live now and how they are finding it..........
If you don't mind driving an hour (north) for a good curry then there's a belter up near us!

Welcome to BE.
Old May 24th 2010, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Pooky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am from London and finally got my permanent visa after waiting ages. I'm living in Bloomfield, CT with my wife and getting into CT life. It would be great to swap stories and buy a beer with you guys. I know what you mean about finding a good indian takeaway, loooads in London and nothing in Hartford. If you like Football I am starting to get into World Cup fever and no one around me is into football....aaarrrrgggh....lol
Old May 24th 2010, 12:26 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pooky
Hi I am from London and finally got my permanent visa after waiting ages. I'm living in Bloomfield, CT with my wife and getting into CT life. It would be great to swap stories and buy a beer with you guys. I know what you mean about finding a good indian takeaway, loooads in London and nothing in Hartford. If you like Football I am starting to get into World Cup fever and no one around me is into football....aaarrrrgggh....lol
Bloomfield? Have you been to Thomas Hooker?

http://www.hookerbeer.com/
Old May 25th 2010, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
Bloomfield? Have you been to Thomas Hooker?

http://www.hookerbeer.com/
Hi, thanks for the heads up. I went on the website and the place is like 5 minutes from me. Will check it out and let you know.

Cheers
Old May 25th 2010, 1:31 am
Septic Sprout

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I went on the website and the place is like 5 minutes from me. Will check it out and let you know.

Cheers
Great! I haven't been yet. I tend to go to nearby Holyoke to a weekly tasting night at Paper City brewery ($7 to get in, all you can drink from 6-8pm, a band and also four bottles to take away with you included in the price!).
Old May 31st 2010, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Pooky, how long have you and your wife been out here? My hubby is a big football fan! Actually he is playing in a game on 12th June they have arranged at his work, its the UK ( he is Scottish and refused to play for an English team) V USA. Its all for good fun and we're all going to a sports bar after to watch the world cup match. You and your wife are welcome to join us, and kids if you have any?
Old May 31st 2010, 6:59 am
Just Joined

If you don't mind driving an hour (north) for a good curry then there's a belter up near us!

Welcome to BE.
mmmm an hour is starting to sound not too far away lol
Old May 31st 2010, 10:27 am
Septic Sprout

mmmm an hour is starting to sound not too far away lol
It isn't - not in America!

We just "popped" up the road to Portland for the weekend. At nearly 4 hours it's a drive we'd never have dreamed of doing back in the UK - but here you just sort of get used to it!
Old May 31st 2010, 11:24 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

It isn't - not in America!

We just "popped" up the road to Portland for the weekend. At nearly 4 hours it's a drive we'd never have dreamed of doing back in the UK - but here you just sort of get used to it!
Go up to Bar Harbor, that is a beautiful little place up in Maine, got some really nice restaurants too
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pooky, how long have you and your wife been out here? My hubby is a big football fan! Actually he is playing in a game on 12th June they have arranged at his work, its the UK ( he is Scottish and refused to play for an English team) V USA. Its all for good fun and we're all going to a sports bar after to watch the world cup match. You and your wife are welcome to join us, and kids if you have any?
Hi Stacey, nice to hear from you...I landed permanently 4 weeks ago and getting into the swing of things. Thanks for the invite, sounds like fun...(will probably be just me as wifey is not a footie fan at all). Give me the details when you get a chance. Cheers!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
Go up to Bar Harbor, that is a beautiful little place up in Maine, got some really nice restaurants too
It's a pig of a drive after memorial day though once everything opens up...that new road way is supposed to make it easier getting onto the island but it's not made much difference now though, but yeah, it's not a bad place.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Gaz1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Not anywhere near CT I'm afraid. However, I used to drive a big truck to Clinton, just down the road. I'm from Alloa originally and have a fairly thick accent - but, people in that area were really good at understanding me. It was a BIG plus point for me! Having said that, that I95 traffic was brutal sometimes(!) and was to be avoided.

Best wishes moving over!

Gary
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:41 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Gaz1969
Hi,

Not anywhere near CT I'm afraid. However, I used to drive a big truck to Clinton, just down the road. I'm from Alloa originally and have a fairly thick accent - but, people in that area were really good at understanding me. It was a BIG plus point for me! Having said that, that I95 traffic was brutal sometimes(!) and was to be avoided.

Best wishes moving over!

Gary
Those outlet Malls at Clinton (was that where you were delivering to?) are definitely a cut above most of the other crap ones around the NE area. Clinton's also very close to Hammonassett beach, so Mrs tonrob would drag me to the shops after a day on the sand.

OP - you'll find many/most beaches wedged solid with bodies in the summer months - Hammonasset, while busy, is also huge, so there's a chance to get a bit of elbow space if you go here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.