Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any iPod experts out there?

Any iPod experts out there?

Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any iPod experts out there?

Originally Posted by Longy
I guess its to stop you giving music from your Ipod to other people - an old IRiver I had wouldn't let me copy anything off it that was .mp3 - its all about copyrights I think.

When I moved from one computer to another I copied all the files over via an external hard drive. If you have bought all your music via Itunes then you should be able to download them all again - otherwise there may be software out there that can do it with but doubt Itunes will help you
Yeah, I am sure it is to do with copyright, but they are protecting all that at the expense of allowing their customers to do an awful lot of other things that would be perfectly normal and legal to want to do. Unfortunately I didn't realise the situation and last weekend told my dad to delete everything off my old computer, and only a small amount had been bought from iTunes, the rest was from CD's etc so I think I have a long project ahead of me now!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its to stop you giving music from your Ipod to other people - an old IRiver I had wouldn't let me copy anything off it that was .mp3 - its all about copyrights I think.

When I moved from one computer to another I copied all the files over via an external hard drive. If you have bought all your music via Itunes then you should be able to download them all again - otherwise there may be software out there that can do it with but doubt Itunes will help you

You are restricted on what you can do with downloaded music - but you easily share your music with others using Itunes - i can see the music of the guys in my team at work on my pc
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
You are restricted on what you can do with downloaded music - but you easily share your music with others using Itunes - i can see the music of the guys in my team at work on my pc
but most of my music isn't downloaded, it's from my CD's
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big D
Yep, if you have the audio files you can do this, but without them you are a bit screwed.

If you don't want to play the music on your computer I would suggest just turning off the auto update of the Ipod and then any new music updating manually (or there may be an option to not delete files and update automatically - but can't recall). This is all a pain, and long term if you have the CDs it may be worth importing them as if you eventually get a new Ipod or other player you are going to need them.

Also do you update ratings? If you do you may lose them if you import the files again, but have never tried this so who knows.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, if you have the audio files you can do this, but without them you are a bit screwed.

If you don't want to play the music on your computer I would suggest just turning off the auto update of the Ipod and then any new music updating manually (or there may be an option to not delete files and update automatically - but can't recall). This is all a pain, and long term if you have the CDs it may be worth importing them as if you eventually get a new Ipod or other player you are going to need them.

Also do you update ratings? If you do you may lose them if you import the files again, but have never tried this so who knows.
Ahh what a pain...if I knew then what I knew now! I think some of my CD's are in the loft of our house, which has now been rented out, back in the UK!

I've never bothered with ratings, so luckily that is one issue I don't have to spend time on.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzimc
Ahh what a pain...if I knew then what I knew now! I think some of my CD's are in the loft of our house, which has now been rented out, back in the UK!

I've never bothered with ratings, so luckily that is one issue I don't have to spend time on.
I can't vouch for it working or anything, but did a search and apparantly this will take songs off your Ipod....http://www.ephpod.com/
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

Its not going to help you get all the files off but if there are a couple in partcular that you want then you can use Windows Explorer to search the ipod - the files are separated into loads of folder making it harder to find individual files. To search you need to go into "More advanced options" in explorer and check "Search hidden files and folders". This way you can retrieve a few of your favourites.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NeilW
Its not going to help you get all the files off but if there are a couple in partcular that you want then you can use Windows Explorer to search the ipod - the files are separated into loads of folder making it harder to find individual files. To search you need to go into "More advanced options" in explorer and check "Search hidden files and folders". This way you can retrieve a few of your favourites.

why wont it help you get all your files off? if you can do one you can do them all? might take a bit of time
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:38 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Your first mistake was jumping on the iPod bandwagon. Your next was not keeping a full backup of all your music files. Having said that I genuinely hope you are able to sort it out.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

d4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by neil
Your first mistake was jumping on the iPod bandwagon.
your mistake was jumping on the (insert model of vehicle/electronic good/materialstic posession/anything really) bandwagon

Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't vouch for it working or anything, but did a search and apparantly this will take songs off your Ipod....http://www.ephpod.com/
I found that earlier too

But it said my iPod wasn't formatted properly or something. I gave up in the end and went shopping!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by d4vid
your mistake was jumping on the (insert model of vehicle/electronic good/materialstic posession/anything really) bandwagon

lol
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:51 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Any iPod experts out there?

a really good web site for everything ipod related (including software to rip music off ipods) is www.ipodlounge.com
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

What a nightmare, Apple aren't my favourite people right now, talk about making something that could be so simple very complicated.
Grrrrr don't knock Apple lol greatest computers ever !!

Seriously, it's dead simple ( although I do have an iMac ) but should be almost as easy on a Windoze machine.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
Grrrrr don't knock Apple lol greatest computers ever !!

Seriously, it's dead simple ( although I do have an iMac ) but should be almost as easy on a Windoze machine.
I love their products but now I am questioning their policies...this wasn't their smartest move ever....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.