British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Any iPod experts out there? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/any-ipod-experts-out-there-359499/)

suzimc Mar 6th 2006 1:21 pm

Any iPod experts out there?

My iPod was registered to my desktop in the UK, and when I moved away I gave the desktop to my Gran and just figured I would be able to register it on my laptop when I got to the other end and was a bit less busy. Now I'm here but when I try to register it iTunes want's to delete all the existing songs (about 300!) and replace it with the one which is on the iTunes on the computer. Does anyone know how I can register my iPod and put all the songs from the iPod on my iTunes without losing everything from the iPod?

Any help gratefully received!
Thanks
Suzi

anotherlimey Mar 6th 2006 1:24 pm

Re: Any iPod experts out there?

Originally Posted by suzimc
My iPod was registered to my desktop in the UK, and when I moved away I gave the desktop to my Gran and just figured I would be able to register it on my laptop when I got to the other end and was a bit less busy. Now I'm here but when I try to register it iTunes want's to delete all the existing songs (about 300!) and replace it with the one which is on the iTunes on the computer. Does anyone know how I can register my iPod and put all the songs from the iPod on my iTunes without losing everything from the iPod?

Thanks
Suzi

Try 'Authorize' from the advanced menu in iTunes.

anotherlimey Mar 6th 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks
Suzi

Also, if it's authorized, you can check that all music you've bought from iTunes is on your PC by choosing 'Check for purchases' from the advanced menu.

suzimc Mar 6th 2006 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Also, if it's authorized, you can check that all music you've bought from iTunes is on your PC by choosing 'Check for purchases' from the advanced menu.

Cheers, I'll give it a go

Tangram Mar 6th 2006 1:37 pm

Cheers, I'll give it a go

Alternatively, when itunes asks if you want to link it with a different library ( ie the one on ur new laptop ) say no. Then, set the ipod to disk mode and copy the tunes acros from your ipod to the laptop. Disconnect and reconnect and when asked again say yes, the ipod witll then sync and you will have everything matched.

Paul.

Big D Mar 6th 2006 1:40 pm

The default setting always imports the current library to your ipod - you can disable this from the settings so you update manually - i use three ipods off our computer and also use my work computer - doing in manually makes this easier!!!

anotherlimey Mar 6th 2006 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Alternatively, when itunes asks if you want to link it with a different library ( ie the one on ur new laptop ) say no. Then, set the ipod to disk mode and copy the tunes acros from your ipod to the laptop. Disconnect and reconnect and when asked again say yes, the ipod witll then sync and you will have everything matched.

Paul.

Oh yes, same thing happened to me when I made a trip home and connected mine to my parents PC.

Should have thought of that.

suzimc Mar 6th 2006 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram

Paul.

I'm just trying this now, but I'm not sure how to set the iPod to disk mode...

anotherlimey Mar 6th 2006 3:30 pm

I'm just trying this now, but I'm not sure how to set the iPod to disk mode...

I believe you can do it from Edit->Preferences, on the iPod tab; but you have to connect the iPod first (that's why I can't see mine).

d4vid Mar 6th 2006 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I believe you can do it from Edit->Preferences, on the iPod tab; but you have to connect the iPod first (that's why I can't see mine).

off the top of my head i think you can go into start > programs > ipod > ipod manager? <- i think

and just check the icon

also for the original problem, you just need to stop it synching on connection, this can be changed in preferences

suzimc Mar 6th 2006 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by d4vid
off the top of my head i think you can go into start > programs > ipod > ipod manager? <- i think

and just check the icon

also for the original problem, you just need to stop it synching on connection, this can be changed in preferences

It's not synching on connection, so the iPod isn't being overwritten by iTunes, but I want to copy what is already on the iPod onto iTunes as I will be using this one from now on.

Still not managing to do this I think I am being a bit of a girl with the computer today! ;)

d4vid Mar 6th 2006 3:50 pm

It's not synching on connection, so the iPod isn't being overwritten by iTunes, but I want to copy what is already on the iPod onto iTunes as I will be using this one from now on.

Still not managing to do this I think I am being a bit of a girl with the computer today! ;)

you can populate itunes with what is on your ipod for listening purposes (by clicking on the ipod itself in itunes) but you cant actually transfer what is on your ipod to your drive without some thrid party software

Big D Mar 6th 2006 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by d4vid
you can populate itunes with what is on your ipod for listening purposes (by clicking on the ipod itself in itunes) but you cant actually transfer what is on your ipod to your drive without some thrid party software

Agreed - i have had that problem before too! Pain in the ass!

Now i havent tried this but it might work - copy the files off your ipod through explorer and then reimport them from your harddrive?

suzimc Mar 6th 2006 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
Agreed - i have had that problem before too! Pain in the ass!

Now i havent tried this but it might work - copy the files off your ipod through explorer and then reimport them from your harddrive?

What a nightmare, Apple aren't my favourite people right now, talk about making something that could be so simple very complicated.

Longy Mar 6th 2006 5:11 pm

What a nightmare, Apple aren't my favourite people right now, talk about making something that could be so simple very complicated.

I guess its to stop you giving music from your Ipod to other people - an old IRiver I had wouldn't let me copy anything off it that was .mp3 - its all about copyrights I think.

When I moved from one computer to another I copied all the files over via an external hard drive. If you have bought all your music via Itunes then you should be able to download them all again - otherwise there may be software out there that can do it with but doubt Itunes will help you