Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any experience or advice for nursing jobs in Boston MA for my spouse ?

Any experience or advice for nursing jobs in Boston MA for my spouse ?

Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Mclapperton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any experience or advice for nursing jobs in Boston MA for my spouse ?

Hi all

After a little advice / assistance / experience.

We are considering a move to Boston MA as a post has opened up there within the company I work for .

My wife would be coming with me . She is a staff nurse and employed by the NHS in Scotland

She would like to get employment in the US and this is a key decision and factor in me considering the overseas assignment within the company .

Google says she would have to sit the Cgnfs exams to get the correct "conversions" to work as a nurse in the US

I would have a visa and she would come with me on a dependants visa to start with.

Would you have any experience or life tales for this type of situation ?
How easy (or hard ) is it for a UK nurse to land in the Boston area and find employment ?
Any pitfalls or gotcha's for nurses ?

At present she has no sponsorship and would be a dependant . I would be looking to get a L1 visa with my employer.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience or advice for nursing jobs in Boston MA for my spouse ?

I thought she'd need NCLEX anywhere in the US, and CGFNS only in some states, of which MA may well be one. My wife only had to do NCLEX - I say "only" as it was not easy! She'll need records/transcripts to prove her nursing education, and may even need extra classes (if you search by username, SilverDragon has mentioned the usual issues a few times but I forget what they are).

Patient to nurse ratios might be worse (ie more patients) depending where she would go. Make sure her potential HR department take into account UK experience rather than treating her like a new graduate.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience or advice for nursing jobs in Boston MA for my spouse ?

Get on FB and check out the Boston Brits group.

There's a few doctor/nurse types on there that might be able to help.

Though the couple of folks I know, just didn't bother in the end. To much effort to get certified. Plenty of jobs if you have the contacts though, as there are a lot of good institutions around Boston.

If you come on a L1, she, as a L2 holder would have to get a EAD and that takes 90 days. She won't be able to work till she has that.