Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving Companies - personal recommendations?

Moving Companies - personal recommendations?

Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

catawampus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Companies - personal recommendations?

Hi everyone -

I apologize if this is the wrong board... We are moving to the US - Washington State from the UK. I want to ship our things on the 16th of May.

Boxes are being packed of sentimental value/other things. I estimate around 60 boxes of various sizes. Would probably fill a "single" room.

I'm looking at £3500 estimates for sea shipping - is that normal?

Does anyone have recommendations on their previous moves? I read something about "container" shipping - and is that cheaper?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Companies - personal recommendations?

Your boxes are going to be shipped in a freight container anyway. Containers start at about 1,100 cuft (a "20ft" or "half" container), which is half the size of a British "articulated lorry", so massively more than you need. It sounds like your 60 boxes will be about 5-6 pallets, so just under half a 20ft container.

If you don't like the quote (and it seems high to me, unless you asked for air freight), get more quotes. A company that is busy on the day you ask for packing/pick-up won't decline to quote, they'll just quote high and then bring in additional staff or subcontract it.

If you pack the boxes yourself you'll save a lot of the labour cost, but won't get insurance coverage if things get broken - an insurer may even dispute the contents in the event of loss/theft if they weren't independently inventoried.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

catawampus is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, good to know! Yes, it did seem ridiculously high for the amount. I will continue the search and getting info from other companies.

Thanks for the info on the insurance. I'll have to keep that in mind when considering the quotes/prices. I've inventoried everything and taken pictures - maybe a bit OCD, but it's mainly for me when I'm going crazy looking for something.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We had about 65 boxes IIRC, and paid a lot less than that though I can't remember exactly. That rate sounds like your own container - faster but more expensive.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

crowhorn52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends entirely on the size you are shipping but that seems a bit steep if I'm honest..!

We have had some very reasonable quotes from a company called Excess Baggage. They provide all packing materials (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, tissue paper) for free and are super helpful. It costs £50 deposit but this comes off your final bill. We're sending about 100 cubic feet or so of goods and it's going to cost us about £800 and will arrive within 6-8 weeks but when my mother did her last shipment it only took 4 weeks and everything arrived in the condition she sent it in; including a massive glass framed print she's had for years.

**I forgot to mention we are moving from Rugby, Midlands to Las Vegas. It also depends if you have a port near you if travelling by sea and how far they will need to drive as sea/air/land all cost different rates and can go based size/weight - just depends.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:02 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest is this a door to door service? Do they unload and place in your home? Do you think they would also carry for example a large ride on mower? Sorry for all of the uestions on your thread Catawampas.

I shipped over household furniture and many boxes years ago to the UK from the US and don't remember the costs at all or to be honest not much of anything.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:11 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crowhorn52

We have had some very reasonable quotes from a company called Excess Baggage.
You might want to steer clear of them. They're part of Excess International who went into administration last month:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...-stuff-854445/
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
..... Do you think they would also carry for example a large ride on mower?....
Yard tools and equipment will have to be cleaned of soil and plant matter to avoid being seized by the customs inspectors. Engines need to meet the relevant emissions regulations, and if not certified as meeting the appropriate federal standard, may be seized. Also the removal company may have issues with anything containing oil (that might leak) or oil and fuel which is a fire hazard. ...... Personally, I would be wary about shipping machinery that will need spares for repairs and maintenance as they will just prove to be a PITA in future.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 3:35 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Cub Cadet RZT L 50 and is made in the US so finding parts shouldn't be a problem. I know they are MUCH cheaper in the US but we only just bought it mid season last year so it is almost brand new because we haven't used it much. Just like with our new TV's it just seems such a shame.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
You might want to steer clear of them. They're part of Excess International who went into administration last month:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...-stuff-854445/
Oh my god! I had no idea O.O!!!!!! Thank you for pointing this out!!
Old Apr 15th 2015, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WJS
It's a Cub Cadet RZT L 50 and is made in the US so finding parts shouldn't be a problem. I know they are MUCH cheaper in the US but we only just bought it mid season last year so it is almost brand new because we haven't used it much. Just like with our new TV's it just seems such a shame.
The good news is, if they are in excellent like-new condition then you should be able to turn around and sell them easily and despite the (awful) exchange rate currently, see if selling it will cover the cost of a new one in the USA. Our rule has always been, if it's cheaper to ship than replace, then ship it.. but it comes down to personal preference. Someone here will also be able to use it just like you would've =)
Old Apr 15th 2015, 7:51 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crowhorn52
The good news is, if they are in excellent like-new condition then you should be able to turn around and sell them easily and despite the (awful) exchange rate currently, see if selling it will cover the cost of a new one in the USA. Our rule has always been, if it's cheaper to ship than replace, then ship it.. but it comes down to personal preference. Someone here will also be able to use it just like you would've be to include it. =)
That is very good advice Crowhorn52. I will just wait and see what the shipping cost would be to include it. Thank you.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WJS
That is very good advice Crowhorn52. I will just wait and see what the shipping cost would be to include it. Thank you.
You're welcome. It does take quite a bit of hassle just calling around places but thankfully once you find someone who gives you a good price and can meet your requirements it makes it all worth it!