Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

Old Apr 21st 2006, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

We are considering moving to VT (Burlington way) though I havn't seen a huge amount of jobs for what I do on Monster/Dice etc so we'll see...
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
So you guys all forgot about US in New Hampshire?
We live in Concord NH and I work in Salem NH...........Garry works in Concord! Lucky him, I'm the one that gets to drive the 93 S Indy 500 Race everyday to work!

Debs
I know exactly what you mead Debs
I usually drive down from Concord NH to Wilmington MA between 4.45am and 5.30am most week days. When you get into MA and pass I-495 it is hell even at that time. I still manage to keep to 70 mph even in 40 ton truck
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips
We are toying with the idea of moving to New Hampshire next year ....or New Jersey.....anywhere New!

Killington seems to be popular with Bostonians, New York staters and the likes......I'd be up to make the drive and meet up there! My friends own an Inn there so I could try and scope out a net rate!
We live 30 miles west of Killington, just across the NY state line. There are some really good clubs there. It would be a great place to meet up for a piss up
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nytodevon
Hi Russ and Jayne

Just reading your messages. My wife and I will be moving from Devon to Burlington next year. Would love to know what you think of Vermont and if there is anything of a British expats community. Its looking like there isnt so any contacts would be great. hope to hear from you.

Steve
Burlington is a nice city is summer, I have taken the ferry across Lake Champlain a few times just for the trip.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 2:36 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

Have you spent any time in Burlington? Even though I had spent 6 years going back and forth it was still a bit of a culture shock living in VT. Like a lot of expats I hated it for the first year but I pretty much used to it now. There are a few of us dotted around but no groups up and running at all, and I highly doubt it would be a success anyway. UVM have some Brit faculty as do the other colleges around VT.

There is limited public transport but at least there is SOME. It doesn't get as cold as Montpelier but it's still pretty cold in the winter. Summer is very busy - lots of tourists which pans out over the fall and on to winter for ski-ing. If you love to ski you have access to lots of areas of course. The lake is a major plus for Burlington. Property is expensive compared to the rest of the state but I don't see wages being as comparible. There is little access to Brit food apart from Shaws having an International section. Restaurants are so-so but out of town there is plenty of choice (Vietnamese, Korean, Indian etc) and excellent value food.

There a big music scene but it's very studenty. The students are usually spoilt rich kids as UVM is a major party college so I would avoid living near the campus if possible. There is also a big community of old hippies living off trust funds. It's a big anti-Bush state which is all good though they do tow the PC line a little too much sometimes.

Some of the other towns are worth a jaunt out for the afternoon - Middlebury, Vergennes, Montpelier etc but the rest of the state is pretty much the sticks. It's a short drive to Montreal and Quebec City - both great places for a weekend break, and Boston is easy to access down south.

Email me if you need any more info
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:58 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Moving up to Salem, NH next month. Thinking about buying something next year so we want to escape the crazy Massachusetts prices.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Eskimo
eh what mullet ?
Yeah what mullet...that was last month.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
So you guys all forgot about US in New Hampshire?
We live in Concord NH and I work in Salem NH...........Garry works in Concord! Lucky him, I'm the one that gets to drive the 93 S Indy 500 Race everyday to work!
Drove through concord over the weekend, was staying with some people in Berwick and went off for a jaunt out in North Conway....man, you guys had cheap petrol...$2.73 in one place