Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

Old May 19th 2005, 2:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Vermont or New Hampshire

Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
Well Its great to hear from fellow brits. I suppose I should have said New England instead of VT / NH. With regards to the cold winters up here (I'm 8 miles south of the Canadian border in the middle of nowhere but surrounded by mountains), we moved from PA / MD last fall to escape the humid summers and anyway we love the snow and cold though I have to say that last winter there was more cold temps than snow.
Last winter wasn't that bad...the one before had the penobscot bay freeze over....
so pretty close to the border...must be out in the sticks
Old May 19th 2005, 2:30 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Montpelier, VT. The buzzing capitol
Old May 19th 2005, 3:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
can't be any worse than augusta, ME *lol*
Old May 19th 2005, 4:27 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Yeah that place rocks day and Night!!!!!!!!!!!! Montpelier has to be the smallest state capital in the country but its a cute little town of what I've seen of it.
Wow what a contrast London to Montpelier
Old May 19th 2005, 4:29 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
can't be any worse than augusta, ME *lol*
Would love to visit Augusta when we drive thru sometime this summer on our way to Nova Scotia...
Old May 19th 2005, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Would love to visit Augusta when we drive thru sometime this summer on our way to Nova Scotia...
don't, it's tiny, it's a dump, and it's shite...it's only the capital because it's in the middle of the state...if you want to visit nice places going to nova, head up the coastal route 1 and head through rockland, camden, belfast, also bar harbour.
Old May 19th 2005, 7:46 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that place rocks day and Night!!!!!!!!!!!! Montpelier has to be the smallest state capital in the country but its a cute little town of what I've seen of it.
Wow what a contrast London to Montpelier

Yeh, the only decent pub closes at 9 but we do have a few bars that are open 'til late if you like a punch up after last orders. The contrast? Don't get me started on the contrast

I agree - bypass Augusta and go to Bar Harbor - gorgeous places up there.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
So you guys all forgot about US in New Hampshire?
We live in Concord NH and I work in Salem NH...........Garry works in Concord! Lucky him, I'm the one that gets to drive the 93 S Indy 500 Race everyday to work!
NH is known as the nipple of maine though *lol*
Nice though, skirted around the edge of salem when I went for the interview and checked out some other towns briefly.
Old May 20th 2005, 12:51 am
Banned

So you guys all forgot about US in New Hampshire?
We live in Concord NH and I work in Salem NH...........Garry works in Concord! Lucky him, I'm the one that gets to drive the 93 S Indy 500 Race everyday to work!

Debs
I love New Hampshire and to be honest had my wife not got the job in Vermont as quickly as she did then we might have moved to NH. New Hampshire was the first place I ever resided in back in the early 1990s when I came over from the UK to work at a summer camp for a few months in a place called Center Ossippee which is about 30 mins south of North Conway. I loved it around there but I have to say I liked concord as well. Now had Mass not been so bloody expensive we might of moved there.......basically what I am trying to say is ..............I love New England with the exception of Connecticut.

It would be nice some day to get a group together of Brits from around New England for a social night or something just as long as the bar doesn't close at 9pm as they appear to do in Montpelier.
Old May 20th 2005, 1:01 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

We are toying with the idea of moving to New Hampshire next year ....or New Jersey.....anywhere New!

Killington seems to be popular with Bostonians, New York staters and the likes......I'd be up to make the drive and meet up there! My friends own an Inn there so I could try and scope out a net rate!
Old May 20th 2005, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...I came over from the UK to work at a summer camp for a few months in a place called Center Ossippee which is about 30 mins south of North Conway...
Use to live near there for a bit as well, over in Casco, ME.
Old May 20th 2005, 12:44 pm
Banned

HAHAHAHA.........I lived in Madison, Silver lake right next to Center Ossipee for years! So what camp did you work at? I was living there at the time....wonder if you worked at the same camp my kids were at back then? (Calumet) If you want to get together, let us know. Where is your wife from? And where in vermont are you living. Vermont is pretty close to us. Small world huh?
Debs
Hi Debs,
I worked at Camp Marist during the summers of 93 and 94. I have to say that even though it was run by a group of catholic brothers, I had a great time. By this I mean that when Camp Counselors USA told me I was going there I thought that I was going to an equilvalent of a nunnery!!!!!! But they were the biggest bunch of laid back guys you could ever meet with the exception of the camp director. Anyway, it was here that I first got the American bug and set my sights on one day coming to the US permanently.

As for my wife she is from the worst city on this planet.......Baltimore. We lived there for 2 years and everyday was h e l l. Anyway, last summer we decided we wanted to move out of our house in PA to take advantage of the housing market before the boom began to slow down with the rise in interest rates. Then I found out that if we moved to New England in particular vermont that I could get my US citizenship 6 months to a year quicker than if we stayed in PA. After we moved to Enosburg falls, in November, it took 4 months from start to finish to get my US citizenship. Anyway if you have never heard of Enosburg Falls, then when looking at a map look towards the Candian border as it is only 8 miles from those frenchies in Quebec. Its great though because we are right in the between 2 ski resorts, jay Peak and Smugglers notch.

Anyway, it would be really nice to someday meet up with you guys and the rest of the brits for a regular gathering somewhere in New England. We could all meet in a different state each time!!!!

Anyway, it would be nice to meet all you guys
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

nytodevon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks,
I just wanted to see if there are any fellow brits out here in the sticks of beautiful VT or NH.

cheers,
paddy
Paddy,

currently in devon in sunny?!?!? ole england but will be moving to Burlington in about a year. Many Brits there or no? My search so far has revealed precious few. I would be very interested to know how you are getting on. we are really looking forward to the move but would love to hear how another Brit has found living there.

All the best
Steve
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

nytodevon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Russ and Jayne

Just reading your messages. My wife and I will be moving from Devon to Burlington next year. Would love to know what you think of Vermont and if there is anything of a British expats community. Its looking like there isnt so any contacts would be great. hope to hear from you.

Steve
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:07 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nytodevon
Hi Russ and Jayne

Just reading your messages. My wife and I will be moving from Devon to Burlington next year. Would love to know what you think of Vermont and if there is anything of a British expats community. Its looking like there isnt so any contacts would be great. hope to hear from you.

Steve

Vermont is beautiful (from what I've seen of it!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.