Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Answering your door ...

Answering your door ...

Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Answering your door ...

Originally Posted by Big D
Jesus - are we really discussing whether or not you should answer the door? Use your common sense - did you open the door in the UK? Did you need someone to tell you whether its OK?

Its your door, if you want to open it do so, if you feel unsafe dont.

My next post - should I go to the toilet if I need a pee?
Excuse me sir but it is a little different for women who are home alone or with children.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Excuse me sir but it is a little different for women who are home alone or with children.
I fully appreciate it is VERY different for women alone sorry to upset you - but the original post was just the same - if you dont feel comfortable dont answer the door - surely its as simple as that - knowing the area and whether callers are normal etc

Surely you dont need advice on whether its safe to answer your door or not?

Last edited by Big D; Jan 17th 2008 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I fully appreciate it is VERY different for women alone sorry to upset you - but the original post was just the same - if you dont feel comfortable dont answer the door - surely its as simple as that - knowing the area and whether callers are normal etc
I took it to mean that she had always felt safe opening the door where she lived in the UK ..... should she feel the same in the states? And I'm afraid the answer could be "no".
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:39 pm
WTF?

I don't. But I'm also not a recent immigrant in a strange land.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I took it to mean that she had always felt safe opening the door where she lived in the UK ..... should she feel the same in the states? And I'm afraid the answer could be "no".
true - but it could be no in the UK too. It depends where in the States etc etc.

Didnt mean to offend anyone - i remember getting frustrated at the original post which frankly got a bit over the top with over reactions and stuff.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Big D, clearly you don't appreciate it's different for women alone otherwise you wouldn't have been so bloody patronising.

My husband is out all day and is often away for days/weeks on business leaving me and the cat alone at home. It's never occurred to me to even think about not answering the door, so when I read the post I quoted, I actually laughed as I thought it was a joke! I know the poster personally (through BE), and read her post as tongue in cheek, until I read further and realised she was actually very concerned. I wiped the smile off my face and read on ..

I've never had to worry about answering my door before, and would imagine nothing untoward will ever happen, but am I being naive?

PD lives in an even 'safer' area than I do, and mine is, what I'd class as family friendly, so if she is concerned about who knocks on her door, my question was, should I?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:50 pm
WTF?

true - but it could be no in the UK too. It depends where in the States etc etc.

Didnt mean to offend anyone - i remember getting frustrated at the original post which frankly got a bit over the top with over reactions and stuff.
She lives in a city with a very high crime rate - even for the US. I'm not into paranoia either .... that's why I didn't tell her to go buy a rottweiler and a gun. But increasing her level of awareness of her surroundings is probably not a bad idea unless she lived in a very urban area in the UK as well. My thoughts are that she probably didn't live in an urban area in the UK - that's why she needs advice on this subject.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:52 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, women are weak and feeble. Those having gone through childbirth are especially in need of a man to take care of them

Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:53 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Pony
I agree, women are weak and feeble. Those having gone through childbirth are especially in need of a man to take care of them
Oh shut up, everybody knows you're a big girl's blouse and afraid of your own bleeding shadow.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Thank God I'm only half weak and feeble having not given birth!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:56 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh shut up, everybody knows you're a big girl's blouse and afraid of your own bleeding shadow.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:57 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Mandana
Thank God I'm only half weak and feeble having not given birth!
I have a strong body but a feeble mind.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mandana
Big D, clearly you don't appreciate it's different for women alone otherwise you wouldn't have been so bloody patronising.

My husband is out all day and is often away for days/weeks on business leaving me and the cat alone at home. It's never occurred to me to even think about not answering the door, so when I read the post I quoted, I actually laughed as I thought it was a joke! I know the poster personally (through BE), and read her post as tongue in cheek, until I read further and realised she was actually very concerned. I wiped the smile off my face and read on ..

I've never had to worry about answering my door before, and would imagine nothing untoward will ever happen, but am I being naive?

PD lives in an even 'safer' area than I do, and mine is, what I'd class as family friendly, so if she is concerned about who knocks on her door, my question was, should I?
I am a partonising idiot - for this I apologise. I really dont know enough about where you live to say whether you are safe opening the door - neither do most other people on here. Down to you knowing the area and whether you feel comfortable, which until now you did. Don't let one isolated incident worry you though - and if you are friends with PD then I'd discuss it with her.

To be honest i remember discussing the original post with my wife at the time and thought it was an over reaction to someone simply ringing the door bells of the house. I appreciate however that she was upset which i can understand but there was nothing threatening about the guy.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am a partonising idiot - for this I apologise. I really dont know enough about where you live to say whether you are safe opening the door - neither do most other people on here. Down to you knowing the area and whether you feel comfortable, which until now you did. Don't let one isolated incident worry you though - and if you are friends with PD then I'd discuss it with her.

To be honest i remember discussing the original post with my wife at the time and thought it was an over reaction to someone simply ringing the door bells of the house. I appreciate however that she was upset which i can understand but there was nothing threatening about the guy.
Apology accepted.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

A stranger knocked at our door a few months ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...18&postcount=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.