Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Answering your door ...

Answering your door ...

Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Answering your door ...

Just having a browse and came across this .. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484940

I open the door all the time - it's usually someone asking for a job doing our yard or house cleaning. Or kids selling cookies.

Should I not answer the door?

Freaked me out a little!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:54 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Answering your door ...

guess it depends very much on the neighbourhood.

We live in a nice place - with no trouble. The sub division is not close to the town centre - so its not a place people would come to unless they had a reason (guess there is and advantage to having no sidewalks after all).

The actual house is on a corner and the front door can be seen by the whole close as well as everone coming down the road.

so I dont feel to bad about opening the door. Last time i did it was the Mormons though - so I may be changing my mind about that real soon!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
Just having a browse and came across this .. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484940

I open the door all the time - it's usually someone asking for a job doing our yard or house cleaning. Or kids selling cookies.

Have a look out (if you have a peephole). If you don't have a job that needs doing, you don't have to answer; people generally leave flyers/leaflets advertising their services.

Children should be accompanied by an adult if they go door-to-door selling. The day someone uses a Girl Scout as an accomplice to a breakin/attack will be the day I know civilisation has ceased to exist.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Freaked me out a little!
Do you have a problem saying "no"? If people like that are at the door, I open the door and let them have their say, then say "no" in polite terms.

If it's at dark and at night, I don't answer the door.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

Sadly no peep-holes. And half the door is glass with clear glass panels either side. Not exactly conducive to privacy!

We live miles away from town and the nearest shop is not walking distance. So yes, all the callers have been people looking for work, kids (with parents) offering home-made cookies for sale (that was a hard one to say no to!) and Preachers.

When I don't answer the door they leave loads of flyers on the handle!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

Sadly no peep-holes. And half the door is glass with clear glass panels either side. Not exactly conducive to privacy!

We live miles away from town and the nearest shop is not walking distance. So yes, all the callers have been people looking for work, kids (with parents) offering home-made cookies for sale (that was a hard one to say no to!) and Preachers.

If you're not expecting somebody you don't have to answer the door. You have no obligation to talk to anybody you don't want to ..... that's why the door is there.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:05 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

There are custom window treatments on the market that can cover those windows and can be raised during the day. This is all entirely up to you though. It is really an individual choice about privacy/security. There are no hard and fast rules.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my miniblinds are broken (they're 14 years old now) -- do you have a brand you'd recommend?

I have the sort that are two layers and honeycombed.... can be one colour on the inside and are white facing the window.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leslie66
There are custom window treatments on the market that can cover those windows and can be raised during the day. This is all entirely up to you though. It is really an individual choice about privacy/security. There are no hard and fast rules.
We lease Leslie (here on a 2/3 year assignment), so it's not big deal anymore. Took some getting used to, but I just make sure I'm not walking around in the buff! (well, I do, but I run past the windows lol)
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus - are we really discussing whether or not you should answer the door? Use your common sense - did you open the door in the UK? Did you need someone to tell you whether its OK?

Its your door, if you want to open it do so, if you feel unsafe dont.

My next post - should I go to the toilet if I need a pee?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:11 pm
Lapine Member

We lease Leslie (here on a 2/3 year assignment), so it's not big deal anymore. Took some getting used to, but I just make sure I'm not walking around in the buff! (well, I do, but I run past the windows lol)
That's my excuse for not opening the door; I like to be dressed very casually and take naps if I'm at home alone.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:11 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
We bought a product from Lowes that you put on the window with an adhesive and use a hairdyer to apply it looks professional just like frosted glass cost about $20/30 and solved that problem for us.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D
Jesus - are we really discussing whether or not you should answer the door? Use your common sense - did you open the door in the UK? Did you need someone to tell you whether its OK?

Its your door, if you want to open it do so, if you feel unsafe dont.

My next post - should I go to the toilet if I need a pee?
LOL, I was expecting this!

Of course it's my door! Of course we don't 'need' to discuss it! It's just the poster in the original thread lives not more than 5 miles from me and I've only been here 6 months, so I was asking whether or not is it actually something to think about. Give me a break eh!

As for asking if you need a pee .. thanks for your sarcasm. Much appreciated. (note what I did there?!)

Last edited by Mandana; Jan 17th 2008 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:14 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Some of my miniblinds are broken (they're 14 years old now) -- do you have a brand you'd recommend?

I have the sort that are two layers and honeycombed.... can be one colour on the inside and are white facing the window.
Do you want to go back with that same style?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:18 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
We bought a product from Lowes that you put on the window with an adhesive and use a hairdyer to apply it looks professional just like frosted glass cost about $20/30 and solved that problem for us.
Yeah, there are several treatments like that which work very well. I actually sorted out a gorgeous stained glass "look" a few years ago with tissue paper and adhesive .... which could be easily removed at a later date. Those are fine if you want the semi-opaque/semi-private effect on a permanent basis. Some people like to be able to see out during the day (when others can't see in) but then have privacy at night when the situation is reversed. It really is a matter of personal choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.