Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another morbid thread

Wikiposts

Another morbid thread

Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:30 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another morbid thread

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are still in the U.K., have you got his permission to move them to the U.S. or a court order? (or does he have no parental responsibility?)

Once in the U.S. you could investigate the adoption process in your state. Depending on the children's ages, their own views may carry weight.
We're just waiting for our interview at the embassy now, but yes, we have the Court order to leave the juresdiction, which was actually gained in the end by consent. I think we will take some time out once we get settled and then start to look into the process for sure
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:23 am
medicleo

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Hubby and I have it written in our wills that if we were both to die that our (US born) girls would go to his sister in Ohio, if she is unable to care for them they are to go to my aunt in england if that does not work out they will go to my sister also in England.

We talked to all parties concerned and have their agreement so hopfully if the worst comes to the worst all of our bases are covered.
There is no automatic right that they can go there. Since if they were born after 31 Dec 1982 outside the UK, they have no right of abode in the UK, even if both parents are British. Since then, you no longer "inherit" citizenship from your parents. There are some exceptions, like being born on a British military base overseas, but then they would not be considered "US Born") They would have to apply to immigrate just like any other Americans wanting to live in the UK. Just because you will it doesn't mean it will happen.

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:27 am
medicleo

Originally Posted by Ray
Make sure you do a basic will ..immediately ..even if its only a store bough blank ...
and if you have assets in the UK a separate one for there...
Two wills? Doesn't the last one always invalidate any previous? I have one will which covers assets in both places, and bequests to both places. I have copies filed both sides of the big pond - two copies of the same will, not two wills.

What do others do?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Aljarov is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clarissageo
We're just waiting for our interview at the embassy now, but yes, we have the Court order to leave the juresdiction, which was actually gained in the end by consent. I think we will take some time out once we get settled and then start to look into the process for sure
Is that true? I had always assumed my children would be able to apply automatically for British citizenship and had envisioned sending them off there to university and to broaden their horizons?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medicleo
There is no automatic right that they can go there. Since if they were born after 31 Dec 1982 outside the UK, they have no right of abode in the UK, even if both parents are British. Since then, you no longer "inherit" citizenship from your parents. There are some exceptions, like being born on a British military base overseas, but then they would not be considered "US Born") They would have to apply to immigrate just like any other Americans wanting to live in the UK. Just because you will it doesn't mean it will happen.
Huh
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...hip_by_descent

From 1983
A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will automatically acquire British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth.

Only one parent needs to be British otherwise than by descent - either the father or the mother.

I am a british citizen other than by decent and both my girls were born after 1983!

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Sep 3rd 2008 at 6:23 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:21 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
Normally you tell them the details you require and they
write it up in legalese..should not be that expensive
or buy quicken willmaker 2008 or try and find the torrent for it
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What?
My kids were born after 82 both Dh and I are UK/US citizens (born in UK) and they were issued consular birth certificates and passports no problem.
The youngest was adopted and we had to apply for citizenship for her only, it's done she now has both and both passports too.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What?
My kids were born after 82 both Dh and I are UK/US citizens (born in UK) and they were issued consular birth certificates and passports no problem.
The youngest was adopted and we had to apply for citizenship for her only, it's done she now has both and both passports too.
Not sure where he got the info from but I think he is mistaken.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is no automatic right that they can go there. Since if they were born after 31 Dec 1982 outside the UK, they have no right of abode in the UK, even if both parents are British. Since then, you no longer "inherit" citizenship from your parents.

I don't know where you get this information from but it is (completely) wrong.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OK this spurred me into action, I spoke to an attorney who quoted $1800.00 to set up a trust for us (family of 4). Does that sound about right?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna have my husband made into a big honking diamond. Well 2 actually...he will be set in two rings...one for my daughter the other for me. I haven't told him of my plans but I think it would be very selfish of him not to accept my wishes. In any case I shall go ahead with my plans no matter what he says.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OK this spurred me into action, I spoke to an attorney who quoted $1800.00 to set up a trust for us (family of 4). Does that sound about right?
http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/obje...A/309/#summary
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray, that sounds much better.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Thanks Ray, that sounds much better.
What do you think attornies use....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.