Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another employment related question

Wikiposts

Another employment related question

Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another employment related question

Well I didn't send a thank you note but got offered the position, starting Monday at 8.00 a.m. Didn't have a chance to send an email as they made the offer whilst I was there. The good thing is I didn't have to budge on the hourly rate I wanted as they came across with it no question.

However, I think that what helped me is I did develop a rapport with the girl from the agency. I wasn't wishy-washy, told her what I would consider and what was unacceptable to me workwise and I think she appreciated that I wouldn't be messing her around. I also believe that having a different accent helps as it makes one stand out from the masses.

Roadwarrior, you made some really constructive points on this thread, which I will keep in mind for the future.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I've never sent a thankyou note or email to a prospective employer in my time over here.

However, there was one occasion when I got laid off from a small startup company - about 8 people. The company closed down and so everyone was made unemployed. Some of the other folks had been working with the software of another startup company, which had about 40 employees - we had been one of their first customers.

Anyway, a bunch of us went for interviews at the software company, and I was the only one who didn't get offered a job within a day or two. Bear in mind I was on an H1B at the time, so the clock was ticking. After about a week I still hadn't heard from the company, so I wrote an email to the CEO (who was one of the people who had interviewed me). Basically in my email I said that I was very disappointed that I hadn't heard from the company, that I had a lot to offer, and that I would really like the opportunity to work there (all of which was true, I really did want to work there).

The next day I got a call from the CEO, was asked to come in for another interview, and at the end of that they offered me the job - which I took. I stayed with them for 5 years, and they had a really successful IPO during the tech boom. I was fortunate enough to be able to cash out and buy a pricey Bay Area home.

So yes, emailing the prospective employer after the interview can sometimes result in unanticipated benefits.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
So yes, emailing the prospective employer after the interview can sometimes result in unanticipated benefits.
It's good practice anyway. Job applications in the US are not fire-and-forget. You want to keep an open line of communication until you have a definite yes or no result. Sounds like it worked great in your case. Bottom line is that you have to appear interested, and it seems to be better to bug them too much rather than too little.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:33 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
It's good practice anyway. Job applications in the US are not fire-and-forget. You want to keep an open line of communication until you have a definite yes or no result. Sounds like it worked great in your case. Bottom line is that you have to appear interested, and it seems to be better to bug them too much rather than too little.
Imho, Adobe is correct. I don't like Adobe being correct because I hate being bugged! But if I had an opening, it would almost certainly go to someone who meets the job requirements and who bugged me a lot. In fact, I give a lot of work to contractors who bug me for it. It's so strange how one falls into the American way of doing business. Whereas I would have needed a vomit bag to deal with such stuff in the UK. Somehow here, it seems acceptable practice. Still though. Up there on the meter!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:04 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...which is of course why you don't stand a chance if you don't send the note.
right I can tell you read my first post well then
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:16 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Well I didn't send a thank you note but got offered the position, starting Monday at 8.00 a.m. Didn't have a chance to send an email as they made the offer whilst I was there. The good thing is I didn't have to budge on the hourly rate I wanted as they came across with it no question.

However, I think that what helped me is I did develop a rapport with the girl from the agency. I wasn't wishy-washy, told her what I would consider and what was unacceptable to me workwise and I think she appreciated that I wouldn't be messing her around. I also believe that having a different accent helps as it makes one stand out from the masses.

Roadwarrior, you made some really constructive points on this thread, which I will keep in mind for the future.
Vicky, that is great news and congratulations. Hope you get the vacation time you want too.

And yes, Roadwarrior gave a great reply and constructive points. He made a good point on the type of job you apply for can make a difference too. And totally agree with the belief that it shows an interest in the job and company. I was chuffed to bits that I got offered the job I wanted and wrote a thank-you note to. I have no idea if I wouldn't have been offered the job if I hadn't gone that extra effort but I felt confident for doing so. And one of the jobs I didn't write back to was not customer based in any way and I had to sit a test to check my ability on the projects I would be dealing with. I would have taken the job if I hadn't been offered the other one but was so glad I didn't have to
Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
right I can tell you read my first post well then
Sorry, what was your name again?

FWIW, I've never actually sent one either because I've always been the last to interview and offered the job then and there. But if I left the interview in a compete situation I wouldn't think twice about sending the note.