Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another employment related question

Wikiposts

Another employment related question

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another employment related question

No I should have been clearer, had a couple of glasses of wine! Full timers get 40 hours off per year for the first 2 years. Which equates to a week off per year. I basically took the job knowing that as soon as I want a vacation I'm probably going to have to leave. The point I was making is that I am very lucky to not have to rely on my salary and that I have the luxury to do that. My US colleagues however are either in a position where they cannot do that as they rely on their salary or even worse they think there isnt anything unusual with only one week off a year.

I still think that people in the UK are spoiled on many levels and do not realise or appreciate it.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

One week a year is normal for most jobs, going up to 2 weeks after a couple of years.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I still think that people in the UK are spoiled on many levels and do not realise or appreciate it.

Most European countries have far more annual/statutory/personal leave than in the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks and Trader Joe's are known for their benefits. Starbucks in particular - full benefits for half-time employees including health care and tuition reimbursement. (There's a reason that mocha costs $3.) Unfortunately they are not representative of what to expect in the US.

You should also ask if you get any federal holidays on top of those nine days, and if there's any possibility of a flexible schedule.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Starbucks and Trader Joe's are known for their benefits. Starbucks in particular - full benefits for half-time employees including health care and tuition reimbursement. (There's a reason that mocha costs $3.) Unfortunately they are not representative of what to expect in the US.
That's also why there in financial doodoo....

and anyway, ain't the benefits from the company, not the agency that your apply for so it doesn't matter what the agency offers at the end of the day...but as most people have said, you'll end up with shite holiday for a couple years with most places, and at least you can negotiate a better holiday deal in place of the medical because you don't need that benefit.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
One week a year is normal for most jobs, going up to 2 weeks after a couple of years.
Probably more true for those living in Florida though where the wages are pretty low 'cos of the lower cost of living...
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most European countries have far more annual/statutory/personal leave than in the UK.
I realise that but companies also have to be competitive in the market place. With many jobs going out East I do wonder if further down the road some of these benefits will have to be curbed or some companies just wont be able to survive.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa, I'm in the same position, don't have to rely on the salary. It's all just a bit extra to save which I have to say gives one a sense of not being pressured to do anything. If the interview goes well, I am tempted to come home and book a 3 week holiday in December, then if I get the job offer I will say yes but I already have a holiday booked which I need them to honor and allow me to take LWOP. Have to say I received an email from a friend today who is going to have a villa in the South of France in April and immediately that made me think I can't take a job just yet.

It was on the news last night that they expected 24,000 extra jobs to be created in San Diego this year and they don't have the people to fill them. They mentioned that a lot of them will go to ex-cons they are so desperate. Of course the downside is cost of living here is so ridiculous.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:49 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...Starbucks in particular - full benefits for half-time employees including health care and tuition reimbursement. (There's a reason that mocha costs $3.) ...
Look at the age profile of the employees ... with a young workforce an employer can be very generous with health care benefits.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Had the interview, was quite interesting in a bizarre way. I went in expecting to be asked all kinds of questions, but it felt much more like when can you start. What worries me is they talked about how strong my resume was, which is even more bizarre as I haven't had a full time job since 1998. So that tells me their calibre of candidate can't be high. The job does sound interesting enough, but I am concerned as their accounts for the company I would be managing don't reconcile?? Sounds as if they have had a lot of new staff lately, since they got a new CFO, which sets off more alarm bells. Then again maybe that is a positive as he may be cleaning house.

However, am waiting to hear from the agency to see if they actually want me to start. It is a temp to hire position. So if it is offered I am going to take it. The work sounds interesting, I will get to use a couple of new packages and the guy I would be directly working to seems like a nice sincere person. Even better the guy above him is Irish so the place can't be a total loss.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:28 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Don't dismiss your HMO coverage off the bat - if you are already covered by another insurance company your secondary insurance will pick up your out of pocket expenses. Use your PPO as your primary insurance and your HMO as your secondary. You will be pleased you did

Also, the old saying of once you have a job it is easy to get another, is as true here as it is in the UK. Take the job but keep looking for something with better vacation time.

I used to worry about the time off from working on my resume. I was worrying over nothing, especially as a woman, because companies will probably make the assumption that you must have taken maternity leave. I never got asked once about the time I was out of work and I hadn't worked since 1990.

On the letter/e-mail front. I applied for 3 positions last summer. The one I wanted I sent an e-mail thanking the person for their time in interviewing me etc. For a Brit I found it came quite naturally because I wanted the job. the other two I didn't bother. I got offered all three jobs! So, I don't think the letter/e-mail matters if the company really wants you and you are the person they are looking for.

I would be interested in those people who do regularly interview people here - do you actually make a note of who sent a letter/e-mail and who didn't? Does it really influence your impression of a person, or is it more the decider if you are stuck between two people?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben

I would be interested in those people who do regularly interview people here - do you actually make a note of who sent a letter/e-mail and who didn't? Does it really influence your impression of a person, or is it more the decider if you are stuck between two people?
It's just something that will help you be remembered from the hordes of other people....
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:42 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's just something that will help you be remembered from the hordes of other people....
But, if this is the norm then wouldn't the hordes do the same, therefore no one would stand out?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
But, if this is the norm then wouldn't the hordes do the same, therefore no one would stand out?
...which is of course why you don't stand a chance if you don't send the note.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 3:58 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
I've hired my share of people. There's no hard and fast rule, but here's my opinion:

-Will a thank you note help to change my mind about a bad candidate?

Unlikely, a candidate who didn't interview well or otherwise didn't make the grade is not likely to win hearts and minds that have already been lost. It may barely get read.

-Will the lack of a note cause me to dismiss a candidate who I liked?

That depends. If you were a fantastic candidate with an ideal skill set, it may not matter. But I would question how interested you are in the position, and might lean toward a candidate who devoted more effort than you did.

If the position requires interacting with individuals outside the company, my view of you would become less favorable, because if you can't schmooze me with a simple routine courtesy, then I am going to question how well you're going to manage relationships on behalf of my firm. If your job involved writing computer code or mopping the floor, then perhaps I wouldn't care quite so much. On the other hand, I would personally be unlikely to hire an administrative assistant or middle manager who failed to send a note, because etiquette with outsiders is an integral part of the job.

If you were mediocre, the lack of a thank you note might push you over to the "no" column, particularly if I have other qualified candidates to choose from. Sending one might help give you an advantage over other mediocre candidates who failed to do the same.

In any case, it can be a useful reminder when there have been a sea of candidates coming in through the door. It can also help to send a follow-up second thank you if you haven't heard anything in awhile.

I'd suggest that you send a note, unless you absolutely have no interest in working for that company in any capacity. (Remember, interviews can lead to more than you may have expected, such as a higher level position than the one for which you originally interviewed or a referral elsewhere, so don't judge the situation solely based upon the specific job in question.) It's easy enough to do, and pretty much expected here, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.