Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another employment related question

Wikiposts

Another employment related question

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another employment related question

Starting to get bad vibes about this company. I have details for the interview and on their website they brag about their excellent employee benefits but to me medical coverage which is provided by a HMO and 9 days of holiday a year are nothing to be bragging about.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
Had an interview/testing done yesterday at an agency.

It went reasonably well. Got a few tut-tuts over lack of US experience and because I have had the nerve not to work full time since 1998. However, was told that may be forgiveable because of my accounting degree and test scores. Had to do testing on Bank Recs, General Ledger and Excel. Needless to say I was bricking it, because the only time I spend on the computer these days is playing games or surfing the net. However I managed to score 80%+ on each of the tests, and apparently anything over 70% is seen as the second coming.

However, my question is, am I expected to send a Thank You card to the consultant and if so what do I say? "Thank you for doing the job you are paid to do and your hair is real nice". This is one aspect of the US I do not like, why do we have to suck up to the useless HR people just becuase they were kind enough to do the job they were paid for. I mean I don't send a Thank you card to the bank teller after he has deposited the funds to my account.
If you keep up that attitude, you might find it really difficult to find employment. When in Rome, do like the Romans yada yada...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:54 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Starting to get bad vibes about this company. I have details for the interview and on their website they brag about their excellent employee benefits but to me medical coverage which is provided by a HMO and 9 days of holiday a year are nothing to be bragging about.
If you've not had a job in the US and you're looking to get on the employment ladder, the medical coverage above sure beats flipping burgers at Micky Ds!

NC Penguin
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I will agree everything in life is relative. However, I think even here in the US I don't think anyone would argue that 9 days paid leave per annum is considered to be the cream of the crop.

We do have medical coverage thru my husband's employer that we pay thru the nose for, however it is a PPO and there is no way I would trade that in for a HMO.

However, if the financial compensation is good, I figure I can overlook the above flaws. After all I can quit after a year and take a month's holiday if I have earnt good money.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Sure, I will agree everything in life is relative. However, I think even here in the US I don't think anyone would argue that 9 days paid leave per annum is considered to be the cream of the crop.

We do have medical coverage thru my husband's employer that we pay thru the nose for, however it is a PPO and there is no way I would trade that in for a HMO.

However, if the financial compensation is good, I figure I can overlook the above flaws. After all I can quit after a year and take a month's holiday if I have earnt good money.
Ah, but are you cream of the crop? Everyone's got to start from somewhere...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were going through an agency? your lucky there giving you medical and holiday option at all tbh...
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:08 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought you were going through an agency? your lucky there giving you medical and holiday option at all tbh...
The agency is probably placing her in a permanent job, not a temporary one (although if she gets it, she'll probably have to pass a probationary period).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, job is a permanent one found thru an agency.

Do I consider myself the cream of the crop? Not for a moment. However, I am not desperate, so there is no need for me to take a job which offers bottom of the basement benefits either. Once again, it can be argued that some benefits are better than no benefits, but if those benefits are of no benefit at all they are worthless in the big picture.

I will see how it all goes tomorrow. I'm not really bothered that much if I do just temp for a while, because the only difference will be a bit less money but a whole lot more freedom.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by
A simple thank you call will suffice

"What if ..." one doesn't like them? How many Thank You notes do designated drivers get? A rain forest amount? No wonder the Amazon rain forest is disappearing faster than President Bush's poll results.

Last edited by User Name; Mar 23rd 2006 at 1:42 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:59 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that there are plenty of people here who get no medical benefits. And sure, an HMO is not a PPO, but that doesn't make it bad automatically. There are also plenty of people who get no paid vacation for quite some time after they start their job.

Take the job, give it nine months and see if you can do better.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We start all new hires on zero vacation. After 6 months they start accruing vacation each pay period, up to a total of 10 days in the first year. This is regarded as a reasonably good deal.

When hiring a super-highly qualified Engineer with exceptional experience in our industry and commanding a 6-figure salary I recently stretched our offer to 15 days vacation per year, but even then he would have started with zero and only accrued pro-rated vacation each pay period.

You just don't get as much vacation here as you do in the UK. It's a fact you'll just have to live with.

(well, except for me, who negotiated the same generous vacation package here that I had with my last company in the UK )
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We start all new hires on zero vacation. After 6 months they start accruing vacation each pay period, up to a total of 10 days in the first year. This is regarded as a reasonably good deal.

When hiring a super-highly qualified Engineer with exceptional experience in our industry and commanding a 6-figure salary I recently stretched our offer to 15 days vacation per year, but even then he would have started with zero and only accrued pro-rated vacation each pay period.

You just don't get as much vacation here as you do in the UK. It's a fact you'll just have to live with.

(well, except for me, who negotiated the same generous vacation package here that I had with my last company in the UK )
Thats the problem I'm faced with my OH gets 4 weeks vacation through his UK original contract and I now get 1/2 a week for the first 2 years!!!!!!!!!! Just as well I can quit when I want some time off, thats lucky for me! But I do feel sorry for the average American working his/her knackers off for these companies that think the employee is lucky to be working for them. Most people in the UK have no idea how lucky they are, and they still moan!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think things may be a bit more competitive in California in the job market. My husband is an engineer, and his company offers 3 weeks as standard to every employee in the company.

I think 9 days is low, even Starbucks offer 10 and they have an incredible array of benefits for employees. Trader Joe's pays $40,000 plus benefits to their employees. I would happily work at TJ if there was an opportunity as I like the store. However I could never work at STarbucks because I think there coffee is average at best.

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/SB-YSB-US-HR.pdf

Re the HMO, I would never downgrade from a PPO. My husband has a heart condition, and the PPO enables us to get the kind of care he needs. As he is a consultant, if he was not working he would not be getting paid. We know he is likely to need an operation in the next couple of years, so don't want to get into the situation where we have to beg a HMO to cover it. So we do get that thru his employer but we do have to pay the cost for me, and 50% for him.

I was having the discussion with an American friend yesterday about lack of vacation in the US. In her current job she only gets 10 days, and as she said she should have negotiated more, so I guess it is always worth trying. The lack of leave is one reason she is looking for another job.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Thats the problem I'm faced with my OH gets 4 weeks vacation through his UK original contract and I now get 1/2 a week for the first 2 years!!!!!!!!!! Just as well I can quit when I want some time off, thats lucky for me! But I do feel sorry for the average American working his/her knackers off for these companies that think the employee is lucky to be working for them. Most people in the UK have no idea how lucky they are, and they still moan!
OMG Lisa are you saying you get less than 5 days a year??? How do they expect their employees to be refreshed and eager with that leave entitlement? Hope they pay you buckets of money as compensation.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Lisa are you saying you get less than 5 days a year??? How do they expect their employees to be refreshed and eager with that leave entitlement? Hope they pay you buckets of money as compensation.
Sounds to me that she gets 5 days in 2 years, i.e. 2.5 days per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.