Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Another car buying question

Another car buying question

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

86cj7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Vehicle

I recently purchased a 2004 focus from autosource and i have yet to find a dealer willing to sell a 2003 model for even close to the price. I remember they told me that ford products generally have the better prices
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:17 am
Just Joined

mac the knight is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2c worth on IA...

Got in touch with them after postings on this site and was pleasantly surprised to find they also offered Audi and VW in addition to the original US Ford and GM, none of which appealed.

Several emails later with a guy in NY sorted out spec and extras for an S4 and got a price. Just about to order when I get an email saying the S4 is out of stock and Audi USA will not accept build orders (was quite happy to wait a couple of months for a factory order) as the quota for the model year had been reached and that no other dealer in USA would be able to supply either - but they had stock of 3.0L Quattro's....

I smelt a rat and emailed Audi customer service who said there was no indication as far as they were concerned about a reached quota. Used their dealer locator to find a dealer in Texas and emailed one direct with my spec...they had some stock cars but said no problem, factory order would probably be two months.

So my order is with them..I may pay more but at least I get the car I want without being fobbed off with an also ran. If at least they had the guts to say at the start they couldn't get it I would have more respect for their sales. I think they do a lot of trade with US military personnel in various countries so maybe they do better with stock in trade popular cars like the Fords & GM.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 3:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
I was reading an article recently (and I wish I'd kept a copy of it as for the life of me I can't remember where I'd read it....maybe in a car magazine).

Some of the European car manufacturers will sell cars directly to expatriates, those in the military and to diplomats, so you don't have to go through the 'middlemen'.

For example, Volvo and Saab can arrange a package (with free overnight hotel accommodation) to visit their factories in Sweden to collect your US specification car. You can have a European driving holiday if you wish (or if you don't have time you can have your car sent directly to either a US port or to your home). They arrange for the European insurance. It would be easy for Brits to do as they can combine a trip to see family back home and have a quick trip to Sweden, Germany etc. to go to the car factory.

The article I'd read was about an American guy who had done exactly this - and I don't even think he was an expat - and he was pleased to get the car cheaper than he could have bought it for from a dealer here (and this was taking into account taxes and dealer delivery charges etc.) and had a holiday at the same time.

I should think that other manufacturers like VW/Audi/Mercedes probably offer a similar programme for overseas sales as they do manufacture cars for the American market:

http://new.volvocars.com/overseas

http://saab.dipsales.de/

(I was at the carwash a couple of days ago and the car behind mine was a Bentley Arnage. I got talking to the owner and he was raving about his car buying experience at Crewe. He wanted the doors to be 4" longer and they did this for him. He had a blue suit that he liked and they matched the car paint colour to his suit! He was able to choose his exact engine specifications and a few weeks later he flew across again to choose exactly which hide of leather he wanted for the interior. They also made a plaque with the manufacturing date and his name on it for the car. Lucky guy!).
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ireland132
I have to stick up for International Autosource having had an excellent service from them and lower payments than I was quoted! .....
I'm strong supporter of International Autosource too, though I accept that they may not offer the best deal for everyone.

So far as buying cars go, whether new or used, in the UK or the US it is most definitely caveat emptor, and though I bought through International Autosource, and am very pleased with the deal I got, I would say that no matter who you are buying from you have to ask the right questions, dispute anything that you don't believe, clarify anything, (or indeed "everything") that you are told, and never forget that car salesmen are invariably weasels!