Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Annuity Nightmare, Daymare, Round-The-Clockmare

Annuity Nightmare, Daymare, Round-The-Clockmare

Old Jan 6th 2019, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annuity Nightmare, Daymare, Round-The-Clockmare

I strongly recommend contacting the Compliance Officer as I described above as they will invariably move heaven and earth to avoid having a black mark in their complaints file when the regulators come to perform their annual inspection. The Compliance Officer is your "friend inside the company"!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not entirely sure what contact you have had with the paying insurance company, other than that you noted that they refused to include the IBAN. .... What contact did you have? Web/email, phone/call center, in writing/snail mail?
If you have tried the call center "I want to speak to your manager" route, and also failed by writing, then I would recommend that you write again, this time addressing your letter to "the Compliance Officer" at the insurance company. A letter so-addressed has legal significance and will be sent to the Compliance Officer as a "legally significant complaint". Complaints to the Compliance Officer have to be kept on file and showed to the regulator when they perform their annual inspection visit and check for satisfactory resolution. External Auditors will also check the complaints file in the Compliance Department and expect to see documented proof of satisfactory resolution of the complaints in the file. State in your letter that "your company/Acme Insurance Co, is failing to complete it's contractual obligation by not making wire transfers timely and reliably ..." then go on to explain that the failure/refusal to include the IBAN is causing wires to be significantly delayed or lost.
Thanks...yes, have done all that and way, way more.

My first post (above) said:
"I’ve now had an email exchange with them over the course of 8 weeks, that is nearing 100 messages.
Innumerable phone calls, ........Even had supervisor of Global Wire Team for my new account intervene on my behalf with the &*!#ing Operations Outsourcer for the Insurance Company.
All to no avail."

My initial email regarding the wire change was addressed to the specific individual who is the "Group Chief Operating Officer" of the Company
It was diverted to his "Executive Personal Assistant" who responded on his behalf (first by email, then - at my request- by phone call) and then batted me to this one, followed by that one, then the other one...countless groups and teams and players...rivals the Olympics
so yes, I have extensive written (email) documentation, many of which include dates and times of scheduled phone calls.

But I'm not looking to lodge a complaint. Only want to receive my payments.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly recommend contacting the Compliance Officer as I described above as they will invariably move heaven and earth to avoid having a black mark in their complaints file when the regulators come to perform their annual inspection. The Compliance Officer is your "friend inside the company"!
thanks Pulaski.....you'd think that would be the case. ....
To the contrary, on Friday, they e-mailed me saying "They'd opened a Complaint on my behalf" ! ! ! (WTF)
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
I Googled that sort code here: https://bank-code.net/uk-sort-code
And It doesn't appear there.
Nor does Barclays Sort Code web page match that: https://bank-code.net/uk-sort-code/b...s-bank-plc/240
Does your Borderless Account, Lansbury (or anyone), actually specify a specific UK Bank/address/sort code etc?

My apologies not sure why I thought Barclays could have sworn I'd seen it in an article about Transferwise.

The sort code belongs to https://www.raphaelsbank.com The address on my account is the same as yours. See also https://bank-code.net/uk-sort-code/b...l-and-sons-plc

As Pulaski says the money while in a UK bank is not protected in the normal way. It is an account belonging to transferwise and not you. I have a borderless account and do not let money build up in for too long before having transferwise change it to dollars and sent to my US bank.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 6th 2019 at 5:45 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So, everything EXCEPT involving the Compliance Officer. The words "Compliance Officer" are the cornerstone of my advice, without those words your correspondence may well fall on deaf ears, .... as indeed it has! ....
And your failure to receive your due payments is a complaint, isn't it? ... Because if it isn't then I am not sure what else to describe it as!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
My apologies not sure why I thought Barclays could have sworn I'd seen it in an article about Transferwise.

The sort code belongs to https://www.raphaelsbank.com The address on my account is the same as yours. See also https://bank-code.net/uk-sort-code/b...l-and-sons-plc

As Pulaski says the money while in a UK bank is not protected in the normal way. It is an account belonging to transferwise and not you. I have a borderless account and do not let money build up in for too long before having transferwise change it to dollars and sent to my US bank.
Maybe this is where you saw it - which adds to the confusion...Whose BANK is it - RAPHAEL or BARCLAY ;-) ?
https://transferwise.com/help/article/2897714/borderless-account/is-my-money-covered-by-a-financial-protection-scheme

edit: It cites Barclays as their bank in Europe - but not UK (I think)

Last edited by MMcD; Jan 6th 2019 at 6:20 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, everything EXCEPT involving the Compliance Officer. The words "Compliance Officer" are the cornerstone of my advice, without those words your correspondence may well fall on deaf ears, .... as indeed it has! ....
And your failure to receive your due payments is a complaint, isn't it? ... Because if it isn't then I am not sure what else to describe it as!
Pulaski - I absolutely tried to follow your suggestion and Googled every which way to locate name of the "Compliance Officer"
Maybe they're in non-compliance - far as I can tell - there ain't (sic) one!
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:22 pm

Pulaski - I absolutely tried to follow your suggestion and Googled every which way to locate name of the "Compliance Officer"
Maybe they're in non-compliance - far as I can tell - there ain't (sic) one!
​​​​​​​You absolutely don't need the name of the Compliance Officer, in fact I would almost say you shouldn't use his/her name even if you knew it, you need to literally address the envelope AND letter to "The Compliance Officer", at the company (works equally well for insurance, banks, stockbrokers, and any other company that has the words "Regulated by ..." on their company website, marketing materials, and company note paper, and also in the US, UK, Canada and pretty much everywhere else where English is spoken.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not name of....just address it to 'Compliance Officer'.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that was indeed where I saw the Barclays name.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

This is a better Sort code checker - not all websites are equal

23-14-70 = Transferwise UK, as TW are not a Clearing Bank, they have an account with Barclays who are a Clearing Bank.

Sort Code Checker | Faster Payments
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cranston
This is a better Sort code checker - not all websites are equal

23-14-70 = Transferwise UK, as TW are not a Clearing Bank, they have an account with Barclays who are a Clearing Bank.

Sort Code Checker Faster Payments
Ha!
Interesting and confusing
How did I get sucked into this bottomless pit?
Thanks, Cranston - my instinct says, as far as Annuity Payments go - TransferWise might be TransferFoolish so DON'T
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I have used TW for a year and I found them to be very good
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have used TW for a year and I found them to be very good
Whoa! Really?....For Pension / Annuity Payments or just general currency exchange?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 12:48 am

….. 23-14-70 = Transferwise UK, as TW are not a Clearing Bank, ...
Er, ALL banks authorized to do business in the UK have a sort code, not only "clearing banks", but TW is not a bank at all, so it is only by arrangement with Barclay's that they were able to finagle their own sort code ,which is effectively just one they borrowed from Barclay's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.