Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Wikiposts

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
one of the functions of the legal system: to protect society from would-be monsters.
Hell -- you learn something new every day on this board.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:15 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Whilst elsie and CA, I get your points about highlighting a condition, but it cannot be connected to this case,
A woman with PPD killed her children, not because of PPD.
We live in an age of great education, in an age of ultimate prosperity. Even with the most chronic conditions, people know the difference between right and wrong.

what on earth are you going on about i'm completely confused how can you possibly say that her mental illness brought about by PPD which seemed to escalate not be connected to the crime??

even insane people know right from wrong? i dunno about that but what i do know is that while you may be completely out of your head insane, if you commited a murder you should be found guilty

don't just lock her up and forget about her though, i think we should learn from these women...to build a greater understanding , to create aweness and hopefully then we can help prevent these heinous crimes from happening again
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:20 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
what on earth are you going on about i'm completely confused how can you possibly say that her mental illness brought about by PPD which seemed to escalate not be connected to the crime??

even insane people know right from wrong? i dunno about that but what i do know is that while you may be completely out of your head insane, if you commited a murder you should be found guilty

don't just lock her up and forget about her though, i think we should learn from these women...to build a greater understanding , to create aweness and hopefully then we can help prevent these heinous crimes from happening again
Just a question, in case things were not exciting enough yet. Could we not make a case that all multi-murderers are insane, in some manner or other? All those abused as children, chemically imbalanced, off medication, etc. etc. etc. Which of them needs help and which is punished? And why are they different from this woman?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:22 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

once you associate a condition to a case, then others will use it as a cop out.

So you're saying that because she did have a condition that made her think "I know, today I'll kill my kids" she should have some compassion, understanding.........

Personally I think if someone wakes up and think "I know today I'm gonna kill my kids" is exactly the reason why she should be locked away and never see the light of day again.

A woman with PPD killed her kids

not

A woman killed her kids because of PPD.

People with depression know the difference between right and wrong.

I agree that people need to be aware of PPD, but you cannot associate it to this case, because 99.99999999999% of women with PPD don't kill their children. As soon as you associate PPD as the reason this woman killed her children then it becomes a cop out for her and for others.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:38 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Hell -- you learn something new every day on this board.

Too right!

Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Perfumdiva1]No actually PMS was last week, lucky for you

Also, no personal issue either

Sorry to disappoint you on both counts, just cant stand being dictated to by young boys, who have no experience of raising children (1 or 5), whatever
and have no compassion to someone with an obvious illness.

What happened was too awful for words, but again, the woman was clearly sick, and I don;t think she should leave to walk the streets, but be in a secure environment that can help her.

That;s all

So for Gods sake, calm down, and think beyond the initial gut reaction
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again you spout with no knowledge of those of whom you speak. Small boy ? nah 41 and has been in a family with 5 kids. What ever faults the ex wife had ( and I can name many I assure you ) she never wanted to murder any of the kids. As far as a gut reaction, nope I have considered all the options and I consider that drowning Yates is the best solution. About time these women were taught that they cannot go about murdering and claiming a mental imbalance when it suits.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:44 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Andrea Yates is like a rabid dog. Deranged, in pain, and dangerous.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:58 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
You sound totally extremist in your opinion, and also a very young man..
extremist in the sense of holding people who drown their kids in the bath accountable for their own actions.

quit with the young man bollocks. it does your arguement no favours, I'm married with 2 kids.
But if my wife were to lose it, and kill the children, to think that people would associate me in anyway to it is frightening.

Also for your info

A woam in Texas is not allowed to divorce her husband if she is pregnant..

Work that one out................
I never mentioned divorce. I said leave.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:56 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You guys are blaming man for some of the responsibility.
The man was neither a doctor nor a psychiatrist, and was probably not aware of the seriousness, nor aware (or wanted to believe) that it was leading where it did.
He was at work during the event. So you ask how could she have left him.......
walk out the front door while he was at work.
Oy, back up a second here. The man KNEW how serious her PPD was, from previous consultations with psychiatrists. Plus, did he or did he not call someone to go check up on her that morning? (have I got the right case here?).

Manc. Please explain to me how a mentally ill person in extreme psychological distress (obviously) with five little kids, no family and no money just walks out the front door?

I guess you say the same thing about women who are battered by their husbands and go back again, and again and again, until they're either dead, maimed for life, or get the strength to leave for good?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:57 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
PD, you have strong feelings on this, as do we all. But you are attacking a member here without knowing either him or his situation or his life. Please stop and let's stick to the issues.

Hello

What issues do you think we have been discussing here?

Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:03 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by izibear
Oy, back up a second here. The man KNEW how serious her PPD was, from previous consultations with psychiatrists. Plus, did he or did he not call someone to go check up on her that morning? (have I got the right case here?).
My wife has arthiritis. it hurts her like hell. I know she has Arthiritis. I know it hurts her like hell.
But not being a doctor, I do not possess to understand the mechanics of how it works, why she has it etc etc. I don't think for one minute he understood PPD in its entirety. He is a layperson remember. And also he can't see into the future.

As for not checking up on her that morning?
He only left 5 kids at home that morning, not 6. She was an adult.
Manc. Please explain to me how a mentally ill person in extreme psychological distress (obviously) with five little kids, no family and no money just walks out the front door?
she does have a family.
Her Brother is Brian Kennedy
Her mother is Karin Kennedy

She can walk into any social security / sally army / homes for humanity / homeless shelter / and ask for help

Associated Press - A juror identified on NBC's "Dateline" as Jill, a social worker, said as Yates explained to police how she drowned the children, it seemed as if she was "thinking pretty clearly."

One of the jurors pointed to Yates' decision the night before to drown the children and the organized manner in which she went about holding each child beneath the water's surface before calling in the next.

When she finished, Yates called police. "She was able to describe what she did ... I felt like she knew exactly what she was doing, and she knew it was wrong, or she would not have called the police," said a juror identified by "Dateline" as Roy, a math teacher.
That's pretty cold, caculated and callous. She knew what she was doing.

I guess you say the same thing
you don't know what I will say, that's a completely seperate issue.

Last edited by Manc; Jan 7th 2005 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:17 pm
Perfumdiva1

extremist in the sense of holding people who drown their kids in the bath accountable for their own actions.

quit with the young man bollocks. it does your arguement no favours, I'm married with 2 kids.
But if my wife were to lose it, and kill the children, to think that people would associate me in anyway to it is frightening.

I never mentioned divorce. I said leave.

Not quite that simple..

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree

This is way too exhausting

Enjoy the week-end

PD

Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:43 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

But you know your wife and you know her ex - if you had found your wife in prison rather than a shelter because she had killed her children, knowing what you know about the two of them now (wife and ex), would you hold her ex somewhat responsible or totally blame your wife for her actions? Do you feel, after knowing what he has done and what he is like, that it would be reasonable for your wife's family to hold her ex somewhat responsible for their daughter's actions?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:08 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Ben
But you know your wife and you know her ex - if you had found your wife in prison rather than a shelter because she had killed her children, knowing what you know about the two of them now (wife and ex), would you hold her ex somewhat responsible or totally blame your wife for her actions? Do you feel, after knowing what he has done and what he is like, that it would be reasonable for your wife's family to hold her ex somewhat responsible for their daughter's actions?
no, I'm not married to a child murderer.
lets talk about Russell Yates..........

He had his own mother come over on a regular basis to help her out at home with the children.

After the birth of the 4th child Luke, Andrea suffered suicidal tendencies. The couple moved to Houston for a new start.
She was apparently taken off her medication by Eileen Starbranch when it seemed her baby blues were over.

The fifth child Mary was born and the event coincided with the death of Andrea's father which sent her on a complete downward spiral. (Maybe we should also lay some blame at Yates father for dying??)

At this point Starbranch was relieved as Psychiatrist and Devereux doctor Mohammed Saeed was caring for her.
He was so concerned with her, that she stayed in hospital for 10 days.

But was re-admitted 6 weeks later for another period of time.
She was taking anti depressent Hobol at this time also.

Russell Yates said her presciption for Hobol ran out 10 days before the killings.

Seems to me folks that instead of standing by and letting all this happen and being responsible and letting her down and being useless. In all reality, he did quite a bit for this woman.

According to an expert witness, PPD affects 20% of all mothers in the weeks after birth, so it's not uncommon.
What Yates had was Post Partum Psycosis, an ultra rare form of PPD.

So to say Russell Yates knew what his wife was suffering from is an insult to him, because no-one knew at the time. They all thought it was ordinary PPD and at this point how can Russell Yates be blamed in any way shape or form, he isn't a doctor.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:09 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Also for your info

A woam in Texas is not allowed to divorce her husband if she is pregnant..

Work that one out................
HUH? Says who? I'm afraid you'll have to post some legislation on that one.

Besides, even if it is true ...........it's a red herring. Yates wasn't pregnant when she committed this mass murder.

Pregnant women (and their small children) are taken into shelters for domestic violence every day in Texas.

I witnessed this first hand when volunteering for a domestic violence hotline. Every 3rd weekend I would wear a beeper from the shelter. I would get paged by the answering service and told where to pick up the women. Often times it was at the police station.....Or at the home while the police were still there. My only responsibility was to drive the women from point "A" to point "B"..... Point "B" being the undisclosed shelter location.

The point I'm trying to make is .....The abuse that a women would tolerate when it was her own body, quite often became intolerable when it was also being done to her unborn child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.