Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
When have i ever said that...
But these are the undertones of the message.

She was a poor defenseless sick puppy, under the thumb of the husband who must have physically raped her to produce 2 more kids against her wishes and made her stay home to homeschool them. He also probably gave her a good kicking while he was at it.
Therefore he's a useless husband.

And she was sick.

I'm saying sure she was sick, but sickness doesn't excuse murder.
And I'm also saying, even though he may have been a bit of a prick at times, to say he is somewhay responsible for the murder of his children is out of line.

and slanderous.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:23 pm
Franklin

I agree 100%

but prevention is better than cure, were not talking about cold calculated murder here but a loving mother gone absolutly insane.....best find out why and immediatly recognise the warning signs to prevent other gruesome murders
Fine ... but meanwhile Yates does her time. If there is any question that she will not do the time I am for her to get the death penalty. The message to other potential "Yates" is clear: kill your kids you do the punishment.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:33 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
But these are the undertones of the message.

She was a poor defenseless sick puppy, under the thumb of the husband who must have physically raped her to produce 2 more kids against her wishes and made her stay home to homeschool them. He also probably gave her a good kicking while he was at it.
Therefore he's a useless husband.

And she was sick.

I'm saying sure she was sick, but sickness doesn't excuse murder.
And I'm also saying, even though he may have been a bit of a prick at times, to say he is somewhay responsible for the murder of his children is out of line.

and slanderous.
Argh!! your undertones mate not mine!!!!
so it's out of line to expect your spouse to recognise when your stressed, miserable going insane?
c'mon he must have been walking about the house with rose tinted goggles not to see that she was not her usual self...she'd gone to hospital for gawds sake!!! i said he made a gross misjudgement in not taking her "baby blues" seriously that's not slander!

you guys are totally twisting my words to your own ends...let me clarify yes she should remain in jail but be treated and everyone from Dr's to spouses to neighbours need to become aware of and recognise the symptoms of PPD , we can't save Andreas kids but hopefully through awareness we can prevent other murders....how often do I need to repete this...
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

your undertones, not mine
I disagree.

You're all making excuses for what she did alone.

In the land of personal responsibilty, the first quote comes to us from Elsie.

Originally Posted by ElsieTheMaid
Seems to me, her husband let her down!
oh without a doubt her husband also let her down
Originally Posted by luxusmonk
Her husband was not allowing her to get treatement anymore and must bear some responsibality ..
Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
Also, this poor woman, home schooled these kids

That would drive the sanest woman round the twist, also remember, she had 5 children full time, without much help from that useless article of a husband.
Clearly the woman was unstable, and any husband in his right mind would have put his wife through another pregnancy, never mind another 4.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElsieTheMaid
Seems to me, her husband let her down! She had a history of severe PPD after the older kids were born. I would never have left them alone with her tbh. Did you see his 45 minute press conference the day after it happened? He'd just lost his entire family and didn't shed a single tear. He was calm, reasonable and was completely defending his wife. Personally, I think there's something very weird about that - I think he was expecting something to happen.
He did indeed keep impregnating her knowing of her PPD. There was a case on Law and Order where the woman kept snuffing her babies, one by one and her husband knew it and yet let her keep conceiving. I think it ended with her being found guilty AND she was pregnant again!!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:50 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I think it ended with her being found guilty !!
that's because it is illegal to snuff babies.

Last edited by Manc; Jan 7th 2005 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, I just do not understand how someone could do that, anymore than I understand someone going off the deep end and randomly blowing away complete strangers before killing themselves.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:22 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

c'mon he must have been walking about the house with rose tinted goggles not to see that she was not her usual self...she'd gone to hospital for gawds sake!!! i said he made a gross misjudgement in not taking her "baby blues" seriously that's not slander!

I don't think he would have even thought in his wildest dreams that she would have murdered all 5 of her children, PPD is an illness but not everyone who suffers kill their kids, she must have had more going on than this, she should be locked up for life, no doubt about it, rehabilitation? For what? To return to society and have more children?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:26 pm
Perfumdiva1

it's all very well saying he should have stopped having kids with her.

however,

she can just as well do that on her own by tying a few knots.
and as for the excuse, "He wouldn't allow her."
well last time I checked, this was America.

Dont be such an ass

How could the woman make a decision like that on her own, especially with her husband the way he was, and given her state of mind..

Give her a break will you

How would you be if that was your sister???

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:28 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Manc, no one is saying she isn't a murdering bitch and no one is saying that she shouldn't do time, and I certainly see no one making excuses for her, not even in the above list of quotes. What a lot of us are saying, is that her husband bears some responsibilty in allowing this situation to get as far as it did.

If you just stood there and watched someone get raped or beaten without doing anything, no, you are not the one that did the act or is to blame, but in my opinion, you would certainly bear some responsibility in allowing it to continue.

Others are also trying to make use this thread in order to make some statements about the seriousness of PPD. That also doesn't mean they are trying to make excuses for what she did.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:29 pm
Perfumdiva1

what does that have to do with the price of bread?

murder is murder, it cannot be excused or rationalised nor blamed on anyone else but the perpretrator of the crime.

I don't care how depressed anyone is, drowning 5 kids in a bathtub is wrong and punishment is what she needs, not rehabilitation or counselling.

Yes, again I am saying this, she was wrong, but clearly, the woman was sick

You sound totally extremist in your opinion, and also a very young man..

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:31 pm
Perfumdiva1

it's all very well saying he should have stopped having kids with her.

however,

she can just as well do that on her own by tying a few knots.
and as for the excuse, "He wouldn't allow her."
well last time I checked, this was America.

Also for your info

A woam in Texas is not allowed to divorce her husband if she is pregnant..

Work that one out................

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:32 pm
@matthewb76

Dont be such an ass

How could the woman make a decision like that on her own, especially with her husband the way he was, and given her state of mind..

Give her a break will you

How would you be if that was your sister???
lets break this down point by point.

She can make a decision like that by walking out of the front door.

The way her husband was? I don't understand what you're getting at? What did he do that was so terrible compared to drowning 5 children?

why should I give her a break, she killed 5 kids.

If it were my sister she would therefore be the murderer of 5 of my nephews and nieces.

There is no excuse for killing 5 children. and heaping responsibility to a man whom has been convicted of no crime, is wrong.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:33 pm
Perfumdiva1

when I first met my wife she was in a shelter.

Would that be your first wife????

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:34 pm
@matthewb76

Would that be your first wife????
yes it would be my first wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.