Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:54 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Andrea Yates verdict overturned

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
How many women will be allowed to claim ' they have PPD ' as a defence to the brutal murder of a child then ? It is like that damn Cheshire secretary who murdered her 2 kids, but they called it cot death after 2 years of appeals. Sorry, but murder is murder, no excuses from this woman please, bleeding heart liberals are not needed.
Very much agree ... no cot death here, Yates killed her children by her own hand. So there is going to be a new trial and I have no doubt she will be found guilty of murdering her kids. The prosecution obviously fouled up big time and compounded the foul up by not getting it fixed, so now there has to be a new trial.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Very much agree ... no cot death here, Yates killed her children by her own hand. So there is going to be a new trial and I have no doubt she will be found guilty of murdering her kids. The prosecution obviously fouled up big time and compounded the foul up by not getting it fixed, so now there has to be a new trial.
she still did it though.

blaming the husband is like saying Laci Peterson brought it on herself.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:00 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElsieTheMaid
Did you see his 45 minute press conference the day after it happened? He'd just lost his entire family and didn't shed a single tear. He was calm, reasonable and was completely defending his wife.
That is extremely weird.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
That is extremely weird.
not as wierd as her killing her kids then calling the police.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:02 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Sorry, but murder is murder, no excuses from this woman please, bleeding heart liberals are not needed.
er...i'm no bleeding heart liberal i never said anything about using this illness as an excuse As far as I'm concerned a person who is found to be insane and who is also clearly guilty should be charged/punished/treated as such.....the whole not guilty by reason of insanity is itself insane!!

But throwing Andrea in jail and throwing away the key is helping no one....more grusome murders have happened since...they reach the headlines ,people are outraged then it's all forgotten...obviously a person can't just outta the blue claim PPD but several of these women had histories of the illness....does this not account for anything?...shouldn't a red flag have gone up? help been recieved from Drs, family, spouses?

ignorance may be bliss but in these cases a little knowledge about the serious consequences of ignoring this disease could have prevented these horrible murders
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:05 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not as wierd as her killing her kids then calling the police.
Well, no, of course not. Quite a pair, that married couple-not exactly the family next door.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:21 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

5 kids though.....5 poor little souls. 5 innocent kids that will never get the chance to grow up, enjoy anymore birthdays or xmas. Never get to drive a car, get married and enjoy their own family. A women that gives birth and then drowns all 5 kids must have a chemical inbalance that no one could ever fathom? Its like a switch is thrown on and they go into murder mode?

How will doctors etc ever know when that switch is thrown? It will mean that EVERY women that shows signs of baby blues must be put on "watch out she might murder her kids" treatment. Its just impossible to stop this from happening again.

Does she deserve a death penalty....yes, but will it stop the next mother from drowning her kids or cutting off her babys arms like the other mother in Plano TX.....very sadly....no!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:24 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Yosser
5 kids though.....5 poor little souls. 5 innocent kids that will never get the chance to grow up, enjoy anymore birthdays or xmas. Never get to drive a car, get married and enjoy their own family. A women that gives birth and then drowns all 5 kids must have a chemical inbalance that no one could ever fathom? Its like a switch is thrown on and they go into murder mode?

How will doctors etc ever know when that switch is thrown? It will mean that EVERY women that shows signs of baby blues must be put on "watch out she might murder her kids" treatment. Its just impossible to stop this from happening again.

Does she deserve a death penalty....yes, but will it stop the next mother from drowning her kids or cutting off her babys arms like the other mother in Plano TX.....very sadly....no!
something very dodgy about TX Yosser. drink bottled water ok mate?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:53 pm
Franklin

she still did it though.

blaming the husband is like saying Laci Peterson brought it on herself.
Manc> I think you meant to respond to someone else's post ... as far as I am concerned Yates should serve her entire life (i.e. no chance of parole) in prison. Kill five kids, do the time. From a public policy perspective I would argue that she must serve her sentence with no chance of parole.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc> I think you meant to respond to someone else's post ...
no your post, just reiterating what you said, different trial, same outcome.

wasn't argueing.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:56 pm
Franklin

no your post, just reiterating what you said, different trial, same outcome.

wasn't argueing.
cool ...

Let me know if my font size is too small/big.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:56 pm
@matthewb76

cool ...

Let me know if my font size is too small/big.
looks fine to me, but then again, I'm just a young pup with 20/20 vision.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:57 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
er...well that's cos men tend not to be stuck at home with 5 kids suffering from severe post partum depression, seems to me the medical system let this family down

Simmilar horrible cases have happened since....how much longer will it take for everyone to recognise post partum depression as a serious mental illness instead of just the baby blues?

Also, this poor woman, home schooled these kids

That would drive the sanest woman round the twist, also remember, she had 5 children full time, without much help from that useless article of a husband.

She has a serious mental health problem, which was totally under-estimated, therefore the circumstances reached the ultimate nightmare.

I agree she needs not be in prison, but in a facility that can truly help her. When she is medicated and is able to realise what she has done, the guilt and torment must be totally unbearable. I'm sure she also wishes she was dead.

But hey, my opinion only... (mother of 2) and thanks be to God they aren't home schooled, and I also suffered a minor period of PPD

PD

Old Jan 7th 2005, 5:59 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
That would drive the sanest woman round the twist, also remember, she had 5 children full time, without much help from that useless article of a husband.
you judgemental sod.

He was at work.
working.
paying the mortgage.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:01 pm
Perfumdiva1

Manc> I think you meant to respond to someone else's post ... as far as I am concerned Yates should serve her entire life (i.e. no chance of parole) in prison. Kill five kids, do the time. From a public policy perspective I would argue that she must serve her sentence with no chance of parole.

OK, you put yourself in her shoes for one moment, and not just during this period of her life, but the years building up to it

Clearly the woman was unstable, and any husband in his right mind would have put his wife through another pregnancy, never mind another 4.

I have friends, where the wife suffered terribly due to PPD, and as a family, they decided against having any more kids

It was the right decision for them, otherwise God only knows what would have happened

Andrea did a terrible thing, this I am not arguing, but she needed help and did not get it..

Such a sad tale and I am sure many people here in Houston, are having a hard time with the decision they made regarding this womans well-being

Again, my opinion only..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.