Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AMEX global transfer

AMEX global transfer

Old May 7th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

technolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond reputetechnolog has a reputation beyond repute
Default AMEX global transfer

With just over a month to go until our UK->US (K-1) move, I had a look at the process on the AMEX website. This is what it says:

Must haves for a USA move:
• Your American Express account number
• U.S. home address
• U.S. home phone number
• U.S. bank account details
• Passport details, U.S.-issued Social Security Number, or U.S.-issued Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
• Employment details
I won't have any US bank account details to give until after we move and won't be able to get a job until October at the earliest. I was fairly sure I'd read threads on here where people had made the transfer either before or at the time of their move. Do I have to wait until I can give US bank details and do I have to have a job?

The instructions for making the transfer online appear less onerous:

Transfer your Card online:

Select your preferred card from our Personal Card or Business Card page.

Click to apply online for your chosen card.

Complete the application with your existing Account number, new U.S. home address and home telephone number.

Once the application has been successfully submitted, we may contact you within a week for identification documentation or any additional information.

Upon approval we will send you your new Card (we aim to have it to you within two weeks of receiving any required documents).

Call the number on your new Card to transfer Membership Reward Points or if you wish to cancel your old Card.
What are people's experiences? I'd like to make transfer a little ahead of the move so we'll have proof of residence when we land. Is it best to make the transfer over the phone? I've had the card for well over a year so there's no obstacle there.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AMEX global transfer

I don't recall having to give employment details - but that was two years ago. The card only took a couple of days to arrive though.
Old May 8th 2014, 1:48 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice
Default Re: AMEX global transfer

Your best option is to call up AMEX and speak to a live person who can walk you through the transition. Of all the Credit Card companies AMEX are the most flexible as their client base tends to move around a lot.