British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are Americans really an different to us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americans-really-different-us-602740/)

snowbunny Apr 17th 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7489119)
I think maybe a lot of members do as I do (or did) welcome the newbies to BE by sending them Karma, in future I will wait on doing this to find out if they are 'nice' enough! :rofl:

You can actually sort members by karma - so that even though many of us are maxed out on eleven boxes, there's quite a numerical difference between the top dog and the person just above ten boxes. Anyway - one single person giving karma to another person is going to have a hard time elevating the recipient to eleven boxes.

Used to be karma was anonymous, so some of the real nutjobs had loads of karma sent by not-so-well-wishers who wanted to make an anonymous comment about them!

Sally Redux Apr 17th 2009 8:49 pm

Was Amerlisa talking about Bob or surly?

Englishtart Apr 17th 2009 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7489279)
You can actually sort members by karma - so that even though many of us are maxed out on eleven boxes, there's quite a numerical difference between the top dog and the person just above ten boxes. Anyway - one single person giving karma to another person is going to have a hard time elevating the recipient to eleven boxes.

How do you do that then? and what do the lil' pink stars mean? :unsure:

elfman Apr 17th 2009 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 7489327)
How do you do that then?

click on "Members List" at the top, then click on "Reputation" on the right

Englishtart Apr 17th 2009 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 7489386)
click on "Members List" at the top, then click on "Reputation" on the right

Thanx hon :-)....going for a nosey now :D

Sally Redux Apr 17th 2009 9:32 pm

I think the stars are for number of posts.

snowbunny Apr 17th 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7489298)
Was Amerlisa talking about Bob or surly?

I'm thinking Bob.

If not, then I retract all prior comment. :lol:

Englishtart Apr 17th 2009 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 7489393)
I think the stars are for number of posts.

oh, ok thanx Sally :)

surly Apr 17th 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7489453)
I'm thinking Bob.

If not, then I retract all prior comment. :lol:

I was thinking Bob too. :)

No surprise there.

AmerLisa Apr 17th 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7488501)
AmerLisa alone couldn't have stacked him with that much karma. ;)

What the hell is karma? :rolleyes::sneaky::D

AmerLisa Apr 17th 2009 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7488107)
Ahhh, AmerLisa has been appointed BE spokesperson. :eek:

That'll be the day.......:D

michmel Apr 18th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by yodfrodo (Post 7467016)
really?? so what do they find funny? because most of my humour is kind of like that!!

i will be going to Virginia

I wish you good luck. People in Virginia on whole very friendly, religious. Just won't get the british sense of humour on the whole. At first you'll crack a joke and then realise that they don't get you when they don't laugh or look at your with a strange look on their faces and then after a few years, sure you'll get fed of none response. I haven't gotten totally bored of being here now and find the small talk / conversations very boring. I will be glad to head back to the UK where 9 times out of ten I can have an intelligent conversation with some great humour thrown in for good measure.

cindyabs Apr 18th 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by michmel (Post 7491944)
I wish you good luck. People in Virginia on whole very friendly, religious. Just won't get the british sense of humour on the whole. At first you'll crack a joke and then realise that they don't get you when they don't laugh or look at your with a strange look on their faces and then after a few years, sure you'll get fed of none response. I haven't gotten totally bored of being here now and find the small talk / conversations very boring. I will be glad to head back to the UK where 9 times out of ten I can have an intelligent conversation with some great humour thrown in for good measure.

So do you have people take an IQ test before you converse with them? If not, you may want to consider it, saves everyone a lot of grief and boredom

Xebedee Apr 18th 2009 11:45 pm

Are they different? Sure.
But then so are the krauts and the frogs.

Went out to lunch with some colleagues yesterday (I'd been installing machinery and really fancied a drink and something tasty).

We went to this mexican restaurant and I ordered a hugh, fu(k off, shed-sized "dos equis". It arrived in a bucket-sized glass.
The looks of amazement that anyone would a) drink at lunch and b) drink that big a beer (it was prob about 1.5 UK pints) were so obvious.

Funny thing is, the anti-drinking thing is pretty much universal to the whole country (at least the bits I've seen). So it must be something generally American and not regional or down to religion, etc.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 19th 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 7492027)
Are they different? Sure.
But then so are the krauts and the frogs.

Went out to lunch with some colleagues yesterday (I'd been installing machinery and really fancied a drink and something tasty).

We went to this mexican restaurant and I ordered a hugh, fu(k off, shed-sized "dos equis". It arrived in a bucket-sized glass.
The looks of amazement that anyone would a) drink at lunch and b) drink that big a beer (it was prob about 1.5 UK pints) were so obvious.

Funny thing is, the anti-drinking thing is pretty much universal to the whole country (at least the bits I've seen). So it must be something generally American and not regional or down to religion, etc.

You can thank MADD. Not long ago, the "three martini lunch" was not at all unusual here. Now, it's frowned upon and most employers would exhibit their displeasure if made aware of an employee drinking on company time. The rise of MADD and the growth of Starbucks is no coincidence...

meauxna Apr 19th 2009 1:30 am

I will be glad to head back to the UK where 9 times out of ten I can have an intelligent conversation with some great humour thrown in for good measure.

Yes, but at the bus stop, or not?

:p for E

surly Apr 19th 2009 1:44 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7492240)
Yes, but at the bus stop, or not?

:p for E

Not sure if only applies to a #22 bus or any old bus.
I remember in the 80s you had to give up your seat to someone that had a job.

surly Apr 19th 2009 2:40 am

I've been really impress by your scintillating conversations and wonderful sense of humour.

AmerLisa Apr 19th 2009 3:15 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7492305)
I've been really impress by your scintillating conversations and wonderful sense of humour.

:D