British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are Americans really an different to us? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americans-really-different-us-602740/)

snowbunny Apr 13th 2009 8:57 am

Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7477149)
to me a discussion doesn't require a winner. I would like to think a debate would be more logical, or less emotional than an argument.

Yep - and a debate winner is generally determined by a third party - not present in a lot of cases.

http://www.originalalamo.com/Signature.aspx?id=36

A debate, forum for declamation, and lots of drinking. Sound good?

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7477163)
Yep - and a debate winner is generally determined by a third party - not present in a lot of cases.

http://www.originalalamo.com/Signature.aspx?id=36

A debate, forum for declamation, and lots of drinking. Sound good?

are there munchies too? she asked cautiously.

snowbunny Apr 13th 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7477169)
are there munchies too? she asked cautiously.

Yep!

meauxna Apr 13th 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477145)
What is the general consensus to the difference between debate - discussion and argument ???

How do we define one from the other? Honestly, I'm interested. Said in general terms world wide.

The amount of concession participants are willing to make to the other point of view?

discussion-->debate-->argument, in order of flexibility.

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7477171)
Yep!

okay, I'm in, she responded piously.

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 13th 2009 9:06 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7477173)
The amount of concession participants are willing to make to the other point of view?

discussion-->debate-->argument, in order of flexibility.

So have I unwittingly just taken this discussion / debate /argument into another type of discussion ?

When we have a fight with our OH's, is it a debate or a down and out argument? I suppose it depends on time and context and a whole lot of other stuff ?

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477194)
So have I unwittingly just taken this discussion / debate /argument into another type of discussion ?

When we have a fight with our OH's, is it a debate or a down and out argument? I suppose it depends on time and context and a whole lot of other stuff ?

depends on whether there's a counselor there or not.

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 13th 2009 9:12 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7477199)
depends on whether there's a counselor there or not.

Not in my house .......... sometimes I get the last word !
Sometimes that's because I'm saying it to closed front door !

meauxna Apr 13th 2009 9:13 am

I was going to yell "New Thread!!!" at you, but why not.. yes, you've taken it to a whole 'nother type of, er, chat. That's it, 'chat'!

My OH won't fight/argue/disagree. He sulks + silent treatment & thinks any 'excited' talk is 'yelling'.
It's torture.

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477210)

which side are you on?

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7477212)
I was going to yell "New Thread!!!" at you, but why not.. yes, you've taken it to a whole 'nother type of, er, chat. That's it, 'chat'!

My OH won't fight/argue/disagree. He sulks + silent treatment & thinks any 'excited' talk is 'yelling'.
It's torture.

I think they save it for the footy matches. :blink:

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 13th 2009 9:17 am

It's torture.

OOOhhhhh - don't like the silent treatment !

Admit to having tried it once or twice myself though.

He didn't even notice !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CitySimon Apr 13th 2009 9:21 am

This thread needed a new direction. :)

My wife and I debate... We very rarely get into arguments which can't be discussed without screaming at one another.

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 13th 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by CitySimon (Post 7477229)
This thread needed a new direction. :)

My wife and I debate... We very rarely get into arguments which can't be discussed without screaming at one another.

Did it now ? !

meauxna Apr 13th 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477210)

Yeah, but you've got the spicy Italian. :)

CitySimon Apr 13th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477240)
Did it now ? !

Yep, it did. :)

Let's see now... It started off as a trolly thread which very obviously was causing issues and turned into a thread where people are discussing the way in which they carry out discussions with their partners... I know which thread one I prefer.

However, if people prefer to have threads with people throwing around unsubstantiated generalisations about the occupants of our hoth country, then go right ahead.

lansbury Apr 13th 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 7477145)
What is the general consensus to the difference between debate - discussion and argument ???

How do we define one from the other? Honestly, I'm interested. Said in general terms world wide.

When you first arrive at the pub it is a debate, after a few pints it becomes a discussion and about the time of last orders an argument which at closing time spills outside and becomes a fight.

If you had lived in an Irish community which had 13+ pubs in the Kilburn High Rd you would know this. :rofl:

surly Apr 13th 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 7469061)
I've never been able to quite understand why anyone would choose to join a discussion forum filled with people they seem to despise so much and keep coming back to offer the same tired old mantra

'Same tired old mantra' now that is funny or would that be ironic.
Sort of like, every time I look out of the window you're in the Quad, well every time I'm in the Quad you're looking out of the window.

If it's the same tired old mantra responding to the same old America sucks, Yanks are stupid mantra so be it.

I don't despise anybody, well hardly anybody, I just feel sorry for the poor souls who choose live in a country they seem to dislike so much.
The Americans who post here are pretty cool though. :wub:

exvj Apr 13th 2009 12:15 pm

Just finished reading 'lone survivor a navy SEAL tale

I read bravo 2 zero too about the SAS

Both sorties had the same dilemma - they were discovered by shepherds and thought about shooting the shepherds and the 14 year old boy

Both decided not to do it - but the US seal, with retrospect thought they should have slit the 14 year old shepherd boy's throat so he could not reveal their position

I am proud that the British, though they had members killed, did not come to the same retrospective conclusion and said 'we are the SAS and not the SS'

Does that make the british different ? Everyone knows that patriotism in the US is extremely fervent compared to other western democracies. It is almost religious - does that carry people too far ?

exvj Apr 13th 2009 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7477515)
'Same tired old mantra' now that is funny or would that be ironic.
Sort of like, every time I look out of the window you're in the Quad, well every time I'm in the Quad you're looking out of the window.

If it's the same tired old mantra responding to the same old America sucks, Yanks are stupid mantra so be it.

I don't despise anybody, well hardly anybody, I just feel sorry for the poor souls who choose live in a country they seem to dislike so much.
The Americans who post here are pretty cool though. :wub:

If they are so cool, why do they wear those little white vests (they call them T shirts) under their shirts. That went out in '58 in europe
Vests ! aaargghhh did your mother make you wear it so you wouldn't catch a cold ?

surly Apr 13th 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7477546)
If they are so cool, why do they wear those little white vests (they call them T shirts) under their shirts. That went out in '58 in europe
Vests ! aaargghhh did your mother make you wear it so you wouldn't catch a cold ?

If that sort of thing bothers you, then you really do have a problem.
You really need to rethink where you should be living.

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 13th 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7477551)

I thought he was teasing. ;)

surly Apr 13th 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 7477556)
I thought he was teasing. ;)

I wear a T shirt to hide a tracheotomy scar actually.

Chaunticleer Apr 13th 2009 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7477538)
Just finished reading 'lone survivor a navy SEAL tale

I read bravo 2 zero too about the SAS

Both sorties had the same dilemma - they were discovered by shepherds and thought about shooting the shepherds and the 14 year old boy

Both decided not to do it - but the US seal, with retrospect thought they should have slit the 14 year old shepherd boy's throat so he could not reveal their position

I am proud that the British, though they had members killed, did not come to the same retrospective conclusion and said 'we are the SAS and not the SS'

Does that make the british different ? Everyone knows that patriotism in the US is extremely fervent compared to other western democracies. It is almost religious - does that carry people too far ?

I too am proud that our commandos wait to commit their atrocities until after they've left the service and become mercenaries.

Bless them! :wub:

snowbunny Apr 13th 2009 1:59 pm

You mean wife beaters?

meauxna Apr 13th 2009 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7477651)
You mean wife beaters?

Stuck your foot right back into it, didn't you?
The DH adopted those as soon as he moved here. Of course, he is circa 1958 Europe...

Englishtart Apr 13th 2009 3:36 pm

It's torture.

Mine is exactly the same way...pisses me off!! :rofl: Always ends up that I am left wondering "was it my fault?" ARGH!! :mad:

but I think I will keep him :wub:

exvj Apr 13th 2009 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 7477551)

Are you suggesting that the choice of one's country of residence should be based on the style of vest (T shirt) that the men wear?

However, if the citizens of the country of choice are prepared to reject you and tell you to go home based on your likes and dislikes when it comes to vests, then that might be a valid criteria, because it reveals the 'tolerance' rating of the locals

Do you wear a little T shirt as a vest ? I wonder if it's so that people can get more than one day out of a shirt... I believe some students turn thir underpants inside out for the same reason

The T shirt thing seem to work across all climates in the US so it must be just style rather than a practical adaptation

cindyabs Apr 13th 2009 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7478170)
Are you suggesting that the choice of one's country of residence should be based on the style of vest (T shirt) that the men wear?

However, if the citizens of the country of choice are prepared to reject you and tell you to go home based on your likes and dislikes when it comes to vests, then that might be a valid criteria, because it reveals the 'tolerance' rating of the locals

Do you wear a little T shirt as a vest ? I wonder if it's so that people can get more than one day out of a shirt... I believe some students turn thir underpants inside out for the same reason

The T shirt thing seem to work across all climates in the US so it must be just style rather than a practical adaptation

It's a style my grandfather, father, ex and son practice(d). You got a problem with that?

paddingtongreen Apr 13th 2009 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7478170)

You poor man. This problem exists in only in your mind. Nobody else cares.

I'm puzzled about your thought processes, Lie down on the couch and relax and talk to me.

Why do you feel that not wearing an undershirt/vest makes you superior?

Generations of British men wore them, do you belittle them too?

As a matter of disclosure, I only wear them when I need them and that's not very often.

exvj Apr 13th 2009 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7478480)
It's a style my grandfather, father, ex and son practice(d). You got a problem with that?

No, but have you got a problem with me thinking it looks 1958 ?

If not, then that's all kushti

When I was less than 13, all the kids wore vests because their mothers told them they would catch their deaths of colds if they didn't

It suddenly became the thing that you couldnt wear a vest because it marked you out as a mummy's boy. So all the kids who got to 12 years old would do anything rather than wear a vest. For a 13 year old to doff off at school and the other kids to see a vest would bring a storm of insults

So I never saw a vest again until I came to the US and all the guys wear vests and some of the T shirts at Walmart have little sown in white vests - just at the top !

I reckon that's worth a comment on a thread entitled 'difference between Brits and Americans', but by now I knew that I would be branded anti american again and told to go home again

No country can claim to be great until it attains the stature where it can stand to have it's vests giggled at without getting nasty

exvj Apr 13th 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 7478563)
You poor man. This problem exists in only in your mind. Nobody else cares.

I'm puzzled about your thought processes, Lie down on the couch and relax and talk to me.

Why do you feel that not wearing an undershirt/vest makes you superior?

Generations of British men wore them, do you belittle them too?

As a matter of disclosure, I only wear them when I need them and that's not very often.

I looked up the definition of 'straw man' and you write several. You ascribe to me feelings of superiority - you say I belittle americans and you infer that I am mentally ill- all these are a very unfair way of having a discussion about the title of the thread
We are only having a giggle about vests - you know like british bowler hats -so what is the matter with you ?

Perhaps if I posted 'good morning' I would be met with a tirade of allegations and told to go home - all by the same members.
It's simply not fair and you guys don't do yourselves any favours hunting me in this style constantly. It makes you look like bullies

There is a large membership who never post but they watch what you are doing and notice

paddingtongreen Apr 14th 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7478731)
I looked up the definition of 'straw man' and you write several. You ascribe to me feelings of superiority - you say I belittle americans and you infer that I am mentally ill- all these are a very unfair way of having a discussion about the title of the thread
We are only having a giggle about vests - you know like british bowler hats -so what is the matter with you ?

Perhaps if I posted 'good morning' I would be met with a tirade of allegations and told to go home - all by the same members.
It's simply not fair and you guys don't do yourselves any favours hunting me in this style constantly. It makes you look like bullies

There is a large membership who never post but they watch what you are doing and notice

So are you so special that you may have a giggle at the expense of other people but other people are not permitted to respond in kind?

exvj Apr 14th 2009 12:29 am

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 7478826)
So are you so special that you may have a giggle at the expense of other people but other people are not permitted to respond in kind?

I am entitled to giggle at the strange customs of other countries as is everyone. People have giggled at british bowlers and umbrellas for a long time without the english being upset. Only a communist or north korean leader or Iranian mullah would try and stop that.

If you aren't one of those, would you pack it in please ?

If I giggle at vests, people do not respond in kind - they post hateful messages saying i am mentally ill, that I have no friends, that my neighbours hate me etc etc and most days I am told to go home..

Do you think that is 'responding in kind' ? - because I don't. I call it a witch hunt and bullying

I think the responses I am getting are not responding in kind and they do damage to the image of americans abroad in the same way as Bush's actions did

Any new BE member reading this stuff would conclude that the USA is a very hostile place - which it isn't generally

Rete Apr 14th 2009 12:48 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7477660)
Stuck your foot right back into it, didn't you?
The DH adopted those as soon as he moved here. Of course, he is circa 1958 Europe...

So is my DH, circa 1958 Canada :thumbup:

Mallory Apr 14th 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7478877)
I am entitled to giggle at the strange customs of other countries as is everyone. People have giggled at british bowlers and umbrellas for a long time without the english being upset. Only a communist or north korean leader or Iranian mullah would try and stop that.

If you aren't one of those, would you pack it in please ?

If I giggle at vests, people do not respond in kind - they post hateful messages saying i am mentally ill, that I have no friends, that my neighbours hate me etc etc and most days I am told to go home..

Do you think that is 'responding in kind' ? - because I don't. I call it a witch hunt and bullying

I think the responses I am getting are not responding in kind and they do damage to the image of americans abroad in the same way as Bush's actions did

Any new BE member reading this stuff would conclude that the USA is a very hostile place - which it isn't generally

Onslow always looked sexy in a vest. :rofl:

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onslow_(Keeping_Up_Appearances)

exvj Apr 14th 2009 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 7479012)
Onslow always looked sexy in a vest. :rofl:

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onslow_(Keeping_Up_Appearances)

To a Brit, a vest is what an american would call a T shirt -
the skimpy white thing worn under a shirt. Onslow wears a cardi named after Lord Cardigan - Crimean War. The americans were so late for that one that they never arrived at all !

Here is a sophisticated British male wearing a vest - only a very superior person with many centuries of history in their breeding can show a vest off this well - in this case it's string vest - the rolls royce of vests

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...tt_228x284.jpg

Bluegrass Lass Apr 14th 2009 2:19 am

In the workplace I much prefer men who wear a t-shirt (vests are those sleeveless little jackets that have button up the middle) under their dress shirts. Btw, they don't wear the sleeveless t-shirts (wife beaters) under dress shirts, it's typically the short sleeve version.

I can't stand seeing men's chest hair poking out their shirts. Nobody wants to know how hairy (or not) your chest is, so leave it covered. And nobody wants to see your man nipples poking through the usually thin dress shirt. The t-shirt gives an extra layer to prevent those little embarrassments. :rofl:

Would you like to know why you get all these negative responses? It's the tone that you write with. Perhaps it's a shortfall of the written word, as opposed to the spoken. To me, none of your sarcastic wit (if you possess any) comes across - most of your posts come across as autocratic, superior and condescending. You may not mean it like that (but maybe you do), so your posts beg for nasty remarks in return.

Rete Apr 14th 2009 2:51 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7479042)
Here is a sophisticated British male wearing a vest - only a very superior person with many centuries of history in their breeding can show a vest off this well - in this case it's string vest - the rolls royce of vests

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...tt_228x284.jpg

That should be in-breeding, shouldn't it?

Ionna Apr 14th 2009 3:05 am

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7467195)
What are Americans like ?

I have been looking for an uncontroversial thread where I can add my four peneth

ok well we are off to a good start by identifying the State and it's Virginia
It's the SOUTH !

All American ladies without any exceptions have a dim view of Southern Belles because they respect their menfolk and Northern women don't - so the Southerners are letting the side down

With my beautiful sophisticated West Yorkshire accent, I was preferred by the Atlanta ladies and the LaGrange ladies, to far more handsome specimens with big belt buckles and impressive cowboy hats which were larger than the average Bradford council flat..

The guys I worked with, worked 14 hours a day and weekends and the 'little lady' was treated like a servant/hostess ... Their wives were 90% stunning in Georgia

I report that it doesn't work anywhere north of the mason/dixon line where you are just an 'alien'

American men are enormously respectful to each other because they assume the other guy has either a loaded firearm or a huge todjer hidden in his chaparrals

Once they know you are unarmed and have even 1 teeny weeny reservation about the US, they will beat you to pulp

Actually I know Irishmen in the UK who are like that if you even try to give a historically correct account of the famine

So buy a big car, use lots of petrol and drink corona especial only - take a low profile and remember the yorkshireman's creed - and you will be fine.

The Yorkshireman's creed>
http://www.lancasterauthentic.com/english-accent.htm
-
-
-
-

:rofl:

I married an "Irish"...Irish descent that is...and he acts like he knows Ireland like the back of his hand:rofl:

I have been living abroad for a while now..and I do think that my accent is a mixture of different accents from all over England:rofl:. It does not help that I am also of mixed race..my mum..is from the Philippines...and I speak her tongue too..(forcefully:rofl:).