Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans really an different to us?

Are Americans really an different to us?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by orangemirror
You won't find any anti-english people mate. They're just about the only people in the world that really like us. Most of them anyway.
You might get a few dick comments about kicking your ass in 1776 and you'd be speaking german if it wasn't for them. You'll have to work out a few comebacks for that. And if you do let me know because I still can't think of anything good.
Actually you can get quite a lot of the dick comments in my area, normally from the plastic paddies who don't have a clue and a few jars in them usually

As for come back comments, "No we wouldn't, we're as shit at languages are you are"...and "Thank the French, some one has too"...but it usually, again with the plastic paddies flies right over their heads
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
Anyway this is a site for British expats to swap experiences. Why should we be policed and slapped down my americans or 'gone natives' who roam this site when we want to say the tiniest thing uncomplimentary about the americans ?

Can't we have some privacy ?
What about the Brits that argue with you? How are you going to get rid of them?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:52 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway this is a site for British expats to swap experiences. Why should we be policed and slapped down my americans or 'gone natives' who roam this site when we want to say the tiniest thing uncomplimentary about the americans ?

But you love police, and being policed by them...

Care to share your experiences on other forums? One in particular?

Last edited by Octang Frye; Apr 9th 2009 at 10:00 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yodfrodo
In september i will be moving to US for 6 months to 1 year. I basically want to know what Americans are like. I hear alot of stereotypes but im not sure i believe them. Are there any clear differences which are obvious??

i will be very lonely if i cannot make friends. I am quite a shy person but when people are very like me i can usually come out my shell. i like making a joke out of everything, i like 'taking the piss' out of my friends, i sort of like spontaniaty (sp) and self-depricating people. i find people who take themselves seriously quite intimidating.

do you think i will be liked? Is there any anti-english people there? does being english make you kind of stand out??
You'll make friends, although they might seem to keep their distance more than the friends you're used to. You might even say a friendship in the US is more like a business relationship.

Having said that, most Yanks are pretty friendly. The guys I've met from Virginia were all a bit redneck and proud of it.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:38 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Coming up 7 years over here, you'll no doubt make friends but I have to say that I gave up trying to look for or make close friendships.
When I went to my last motorbike club ride out, I forgot that i was trying a harley gel seat out on my suzuki bandit - which raised me up. I tried to cross a wet kerb and tried to put my leg down, but I was too high and dropped the bike in front of the 30 members who were waiting.

In England there would have been a roar of abuse and piss taking and I would never have heard the last of it for years and years

Here, they were all so polite and understanding and asking if I was ok and nobody mentioned it all evening.

It was eerie - a bit like religious freaks with that spaced out smile - rows and rows of white teeth

Now they are either nicer than Brits or real aliens have taken over their minds - I go for the latter
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:44 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
What about the Brits that argue with you? How are you going to get rid of them?
At least they know what a growler with hammonds on is without having to explain it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4367699.stm

--
-
-
--

Last edited by exvj; Apr 9th 2009 at 10:51 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What went wrong in your example is, (let's pretend I was your colleague).. I don't know you have a child, I don't know that you are not a painter, even a sucky painter. I just gave you a compliment (I like your painting) and you negate my comment, my taste and my friendly overture by your 'joke'.
The appropriate reply (especially in a work situation) is to thank the person and brag up your kid.
IN MY OPINION.
It's not a question of right or wrong, but it is a cultural difference. Snappy quips are the norm in a British workplace, whereas the reply you gave as appropriate would maybe seem a bit 'square'. My attempts at humour are always taken seriously here, it's just very different.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You'll make friends, although they might seem to keep their distance more than the friends you're used to. You might even say a friendship in the US is more like a business relationship.
The Americans I've met are much more guarded about their true feelings than Europeans, I would say. It is easier for us to relate to people from Europe and Central/ South America despite the language barrier.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

FYI this site welcomes people of all nationalities.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's not a question of right or wrong, but it is a cultural difference. Snappy quips are the norm in a British workplace, whereas the reply you gave as appropriate would maybe seem a bit 'square'. My attempts at humour are always taken seriously here, it's just very different.
I bought some little britain DVD's this week and we sat right through them without USC wifey laughing once - oh except at the disabled jokes

Last week we watched fools and horses 'miami twice' - nothing

Even in the one where when damien appeared at the end of the bed and rodney said 'cassandra, i locked the door'

nothing

Even when the male midwife's wig dropped between her legs and delboy said 'I can see it's head'

nothing

I reckon the americans make the north korean army look like giggly school girls when it comes to british humour
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:21 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some little britain DVD's this week and we sat right through them without USC wifey laughing once - oh except at the disabled jokes

Last week we watched fools and horses 'miami twice' - nothing

Even in the one where when damien appeared at the end of the bed and rodney said 'cassandra, i locked the door'

nothing

Even when the male midwife's wig dropped between her legs and delboy said 'I can see it's head'

nothing

I reckon the americans make the north korean army look like giggly school girls when it comes to british humour
Its really strange though, lots of Americans both me and hubby work with think Top Gear is the funniest thing on TV (me too), but thats full of sarcasm and taking the mick. I think they presume its an act and scripted that way, and don't realize lots of work life in the UK is full of people having a laugh.

The only thing that makes me laugh on Little Britain is Andy too.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Really?

FYI this site welcomes people of all nationalities.
Think of it as a girlie night out or a boys booze up - these groups like to be alone and to talk about the other lot sometimes

Or is that too PC and it doesn't happen in america ?

Yes people of all nationalities welcome as long as they don't become oppressive in squashing opinion of other nationals with heavy handedness and banding together an sending PM's to each other or to people who might support a poster against their wishes

1st amendment and all that you know

It's obvious to everyone by now that americans are incredibly sensitive to perceived slights against their country, and it deters the flow of people's experiences

Perhaps thats the biggest difference of all - Britons come from a quietly assured country whose long history has worked out many questions, whereas the US is a new born and still trying to find it's self image

Nothing more prickly making than a sense of insecurity

Britain had its civil war before the US
We had our bill of rights before the US
We had votes for women before the US
We banned slavery before the US
We had a woman head of government before the US
We halted public executions before the US
etc etc etc etc etc

The US is still finding its way as society and so the Brits should make allowances I suppose and compliment them all the time for what they have achieved in the way that we only compliment children and we don't point out their failures
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Think of it as a girlie night out or a boys booze up - these groups like to be alone and to talk about the other lot sometimes

Or is that too PC and it doesn't happen in america ?...

Yes people of all nationalities welcome as long as they don't become oppressive in squashing opinion of other nationals with heavy handedness and banding together an sending PM's to each other or to people who might support a poster against their wishes

1st amendment and all that you know

Sorry I must have missed something...I didn't realise you make the rules of who can post and what they can post on here.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The Americans I've met are much more guarded about their true feelings than Europeans, I would say. It is easier for us to relate to people from Europe and Central/ South America despite the language barrier.
So true. I have had more meaningful discussions with people I've met at the # 22 bus stop in Putney than I've had in 8 years here.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
So true. I have had more meaningful discussions with people I've met at the # 22 bus stop in Putney than I've had in 8 years here.
Come to think of it, I've had more meaningful discussions with the #22 bus stop.

(just kidding).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.