Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American "Positivity"

American "Positivity"

Old Jan 8th 2006, 8:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default American "Positivity"

Good afternoon everyone.
I know its a Sunday, but I've just become so pissed off by something that I feel compelled to start a thread.
I was home for a few weeks over Christmas and got back last Wednesday. Since then I have become astounded by the moronic way that yanks seem compelled to be positive about everything. For example...
Yank1: "Hey Bob, guess what, I've decided that I don't really use my left hand for much and reckon that its just a waste of time carrying it round as excess weight, so I'm going to cut it off"
Yank2: "That's such a good idea Jed, go for it man"

I mean wtf is this b*ll*cks all about ??

Last night I had a conversation with a yank aquaintance and we were talking about the company golf league. He informed me that he wouldn't be playing this year as every Thursday evening he will be attending MBA classes.
Now I regard this person as a smart individual, but offered an opinion that the college that he would be studying at was a load of sh*te. The pass rate for their MBA, which is not highly ranked is 95%. I told him that I thought he would be better off trying to lower his golf handicap, and not to waste his time (4 years) studyin for a qualification that 95% of students pass. At this point I was attacked for being negative....wtf is that all about. I think it would be a waste of his time as a smart individual to study for this and told him so....isn't that what friends are supposed to do ?? If he didn't like my opinion that's fine, no skin of my nose, but to have a go at me for being negative was a complete load of b*ll/cks.

Anyone else get pissed off by this relentless stupidity, I mean wtf is wrong with saying that something is sh*te if you think that it is sh*te ???
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: American "Positivity"

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Good afternoon everyone.
I know its a Sunday, but I've just become so pissed off by something that I feel compelled to start a thread.
I was home for a few weeks over Christmas and got back last Wednesday. Since then I have become astounded by the moronic way that yanks seem compelled to be positive about everything. For example...
Yank1: "Hey Bob, guess what, I've decided that I don't really use my left hand for much and reckon that its just a waste of time carrying it round as excess weight, so I'm going to cut it off"

Last night I had a conversation with a yank aquaintance and we were talking about the company golf league. He informed me that he wouldn't be playing this year as every Thursday evening he will be attending MBA classes.
Now I regard this person as a smart individual, but offered an opinion that the college that he would be studying at was a load of sh*te. The pass rate for their MBA, which is not highly ranked is 95%. I told him that I thought he would be better off trying to lower his golf handicap, and not to waste his time (4 years) studyin for a qualification that 95% of students pass. At this point I was attacked for being negative....wtf is that all about. I think it would be a waste of his time as a smart individual to study for this and told him so....isn't that what friends are supposed to do ?? If he didn't like my opinion that's fine, no skin of my nose, but to have a go at me for being negative was a complete load of b*ll/cks.

Anyone else get pissed off by this relentless stupidity, I mean wtf is wrong with saying that something is sh*te if you think that it is sh*te ???

Haven't you got it yet. You are supposed to encourage everybody in anything they want to do here. The simple truth that little Johnny is f**king useless at soccer and is too fat to even wear the teams uniform let alone run around for longer than 3 minutes has nothing to do with it. You're supposed to tell him he's going to be the next Pele.

Why? Because it would hurt his feelings if you told him his dreams were a pile of crap. Instead, you have to let them fu ck up on their own and let his life be a pile of crap instead of just his dreams.

As for why we have to do this here, I have no clue. I just know that's what's expected of us as friends and parents...fu ck up your kids lives with hopeless dreams and bullshit. Just aslong as you never tell them how it really is.

That, my friend, IS "The American Dream" in a nutshell.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Haven't you got it yet. You are supposed to encourage everybody in anything they want to do here. The simple truth that little Johnny is f**king useless at soccer and is too fat to even wear the teams uniform let alone run around for longer than 3 minutes has nothing to do with it. You're supposed to tell him he's going to be the next Pele.

Why? Because it would hurt his feelings if you told him his dreams were a pile of crap. Instead, you have to let them fu ck up on their own and let his life be a pile of crap instead of just his dreams.

As for why we have to do this here, I have no clue. I just know that's what's expected of us as friends and parents...fu ck up your kids lives with hopeless dreams and bullshit. Just aslong as you never tell them how it really is.

That, my friend, IS "The American Dream" in a nutshell.
What a wonderful parent you'd make if you told your kids that they are useless piles of shit. Get with it you moron and stop over generalising. Its attitudes like these that is the reason I'm not that bothered about my upcoming trip to the UK and it probably explains why we're usually shit at just about everything we do, other than moaning and complaining, to which we're gold medal winners.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon everyone.

There's a saying, "it's not the winning, it the participating"... Well, for many Americans they're lead to believe that the only thing that matters is the winning and sod anything else (and those associated with anything less than first place).

It's no wonder that every day there's a new self-help guru, a new way to diet and of course, the "got to have" item of clothing or brand name. It's all about now.

As for the OP, I wouldn't get involved in conversations like that. It simply ain't worth your time. Let them be.

This thread ties in nicely with the other one started recently about Americans not taking vacation time...
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
What a wonderful parent you'd make if you told your kids that they are useless piles of shit. Get with it you moron and stop over generalising. Its attitudes like these that is the reason I'm not that bothered about my upcoming trip to the UK and it probably explains why we're usually shit at just about everything we do, other than moaning and complaining, to which we're gold medal winners.
I'm sorry but I agree with what Rushman is saying, there's no point in pretending life's all sunshine and lolly pops. I very much doubt he or any of us would call our kid's useless piles of shit never the less they have to be told some sort of truth dont they.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Rushman's post was a good dose of British sarcasm and humor, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, Pimpbot's definitely losing his British edge...
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:25 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I'm sorry but I agree with what Rushman is saying, there's no point in pretending life's all sunshine and lolly pops. I very much doubt he or any of us would call our kid's useless piles of shit never the less they have to be told some sort of truth dont they.
And I'm not even talking about something as personal as that - i merely told this chump that I thought the course he was intending to study was pants - I made no comment about him.

Anyway, after my original post i decided to go native, so I'm off to watch my neighbour stick her head in a fire - she asked my opinion and I told her that I thought it was a f**king awesome idea

U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

And I'm not even talking about something as personal as that - i merely told this chump that I thought the course he was intending to study was pants - I made no comment about him.

Anyway, after my original post i decided to go native, so I'm off to watch my neighbour stick her head in a fire - she asked my opinion and I told her that I thought it was a f**king awesome idea

U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
lol lmao... good on you...if yer can't beat 'em join 'em
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
deserves some K
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

What a wonderful parent you'd make if you told your kids that they are useless piles of shit.

Get with it you moron and stop over generalising. Its attitudes like these that is the reason I'm not that bothered about my upcoming trip to the UK and it probably explains why we're usually shit at just about everything we do, other than moaning and complaining, to which we're gold medal winners.
Like you moaning and complaining about my sarcastic and over generalising post you mean?

You might be shit at just about everything you do but I know I'm not.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
Well I, like you, am sick to death of walking on egg shell's with the lot of erm.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Celsius
Rushman's post was a good dose of British sarcasm and humor, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, Pimpbot's definitely losing his British edge...
You're not mistaken. Although I think there is a wee bit of truth to that post.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got nothing against having a positive attitude - I must have something of one, otherwise I'd have hung myself by now for not getting any time off .

But I think there is a difference between having a positive attitude, and living in la-la land. A lot of the folks over here do not seem able to distinguish between the two. You need to know when to cut away or refocus - that's probably more positive than stringing along unrealistic dreams.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Well I, like you, am sick to death of walking on egg shell's with the lot of erm.
if you need to vent and let that pent up frustration out...I'll be you whipping boy
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dan725
I've got nothing against having a positive attitude - I must have something of one, otherwise I'd have hung myself by now for not getting any time off .

But I think there is a difference between having a positive attitude, and living in la-la land. A lot of the folks over here do not seem able to distinguish between the two. You need to know when to cut away or refocus - that's probably more positive than stringing along unrealistic dreams.
maybe i should've worded it like this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.