Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American "Positivity"

American "Positivity"

Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American "Positivity"

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So, my questions to you are: how long have you been here for ??;
Coming up on three years in May (how the years just fly by)

and how on earth do you put up with this, because recently it has really started to grate with me and I'm not sure how much longer I can stick it for.
I just find it really funny personally. I enable people to continue the idea that the Brits are a bunch of negative people who are always looking for the negative side of anything. Reality can be a bitch some time!

It's probably a main reason why my MIL and I don't get on... She's an ultra positive former kindergarten teacher who will ALWAYS try to find the ultra perky, positive side of any situation. I found that I start countering her arguments with ultra negative view points just to keep peoples feet on the ground. We're not talking at the minute.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:46 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to stay positive about which part of "I'll be there Monday morning to do the job" my customer didn't understand, as she was positively out...........I'm fighting off the urge to not be negative and British about it, I really am.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:47 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol my husband doesn't like it when we meet new people (Americans of course) and they ask me how I like living in this wonderful country and I now reply with 'well, it's different that's for sure' and kinda laugh...I'm pissed off with saying 'oh yes, everything's fine and I'm enjoying it' ...lol nah no more hiding, pretending....they can all get stuffed ..haha it
I say, the weather's better, then I just stop talking, that's pretty funny!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:47 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CitySimon
We're not talking at the minute.

love it
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar

sadly the weather ain't any better here..hot sticky humid, nope this poor place hasn't got much going for it...I say give it back to the Mexicans..lol now that doens't go down too well...where's my wooden spoon
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:51 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.
I'll def save that one for the summer. To date I have used a similar line "well, the pay is better" but being British I find it a bit vulgar to talk to complete strangers about cash, so your line will do an even better job.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:22 am
Account Closed

hiya, hubby just called and I have to go to a do tonight and when asked the proverbial question I'm gonna use your reply...lol can't wait to see my mans face...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:35 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Nice.
I'll def save that one for the summer. To date I have used a similar line "well, the pay is better" but being British I find it a bit vulgar to talk to complete strangers about cash, so your line will do an even better job.

hiya, hubby just called and I have to go to a do tonight and when asked the proverbial question I'm gonna use your reply...lol can't wait to see my mans face...
Glad to be of service!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

lol my husband doesn't like it when we meet new people (Americans of course) and they ask me how I like living in this wonderful country and I now reply with 'well, it's different that's for sure' and kinda laugh...I'm pissed off with saying 'oh yes, everything's fine and I'm enjoying it' ...lol nah no more hiding, pretending....they can all get stuffed ..haha it

Likewise here !! I'll laugh at THEIR "Pollyanna" outlook, but I cannot bring myself to join in with it. When asked how I'm finding things in America, I answer as you do "It's different." No more than that. If they continue to question me I tell them exactly how and why it's different and watch their little faces crumple.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:55 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Likewise here !! I'll laugh at THEIR "Pollyanna" outlook, but I cannot bring myself to join in with it. When asked how I'm finding things in America, I answer as you do "It's different." No more than that. If they continue to question me I tell them exactly how and why it's different and watch their little faces crumple.
I do that too, but just realised the other day that I say wayyy too much & they look devastated when I've finished. I have chosen not to burst too many bubbles!!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

When asked how I'm finding things in America, I answer as you do "It's different." No more than that. If they continue to question me I tell them exactly how and why it's different and watch their little faces crumple.
I was asked that last week...

Initially, I used the "It's different!" line, however they just had to push it didn't they!!

None of my answers were good enough for them!

Eventually, I came out with something to the effect of "There are more things that I miss about England than I love about America!"... It didn't exactly go down very well.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:58 am
Account Closed

ha ha that's me...I get down to the nitty gritty with 'em when my man isn't around...lol
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:25 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll all burn in Etiquette Hell!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:55 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Good afternoon everyone.
I know its a Sunday, but I've just become so pissed off by something that I feel compelled to start a thread.
I was home for a few weeks over Christmas and got back last Wednesday. Since then I have become astounded by the moronic way that yanks seem compelled to be positive about everything. For example...
Yank1: "Hey Bob, guess what, I've decided that I don't really use my left hand for much and reckon that its just a waste of time carrying it round as excess weight, so I'm going to cut it off"
Yank2: "That's such a good idea Jed, go for it man"

I mean wtf is this b*ll*cks all about ??

Last night I had a conversation with a yank aquaintance and we were talking about the company golf league. He informed me that he wouldn't be playing this year as every Thursday evening he will be attending MBA classes.
Now I regard this person as a smart individual, but offered an opinion that the college that he would be studying at was a load of sh*te. The pass rate for their MBA, which is not highly ranked is 95%. I told him that I thought he would be better off trying to lower his golf handicap, and not to waste his time (4 years) studyin for a qualification that 95% of students pass. At this point I was attacked for being negative....wtf is that all about. I think it would be a waste of his time as a smart individual to study for this and told him so....isn't that what friends are supposed to do ?? If he didn't like my opinion that's fine, no skin of my nose, but to have a go at me for being negative was a complete load of b*ll/cks.

Anyone else get pissed off by this relentless stupidity, I mean wtf is wrong with saying that something is sh*te if you think that it is sh*te ???
I don't get it- in most companies you have a greater chance for advancement by playing in the golf league than by getting an MBA anyway...plus you can drink beer.

What in the sam hell is he thinking anyway??
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:58 am

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=ironporer]I don't get it- in most companies you have a greater chance for advancement by playing in the golf league than by getting an MBA anyway...plus you can drink beer.
QUOTE]

Are you positive about that??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.