Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American gal....for now?

American gal....for now?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of
Default Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by rookins26
20 miles south of London...hmm isn't that the vicinity of London? I know anywhere I have lived that if you live 20 miles from a major city you live in the metro area. Our friends over there live about 15-20 mi outside London and they consider it London. So....I didn't have an attitude when I said that we are not looking at or NEAR London I was just setting the record straight that was all..since you were quick to throw out prices.

I don't think I am the one with the "tude" for clarifying things Do you go on boards and pick fights, make assumptions, and then call others hostile?? Yikes...

Colette
This is my final reply to you.

I live in West Sussex. West Sussex isn't London.

England is the size of Alabama. Living 20 miles away from a major city in England could easily put you into another county, as it does in this case.

You mentioned IT and I mentioned, considering my experience in working in IT and my husband scouting for higher paying jobs throughout the country, London is the best location for making money.

You made the claim your husband could earn £55k across the country in his trade. Go with God if he can, but that statement isn't necessarily true. And that was simply what I was pointing out.

Bye bye!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by commoner
This is my final reply to you.

I live in West Sussex. West Sussex isn't London.

England is the size of Alabama. Living 20 miles away from a major city in England could easily put you into another county, as it does in this case.

You mentioned IT and I mentioned, considering my experience in working in IT and my husband scouting for higher paying jobs throughout the country, London is the best location for making money.

You made the claim your husband could earn £55k across the country in his trade. Go with God if he can, but that statement isn't necessarily true. And that was simply what I was pointing out.

Bye bye!
I feel like I have to be a broken record with you and you are getting more and more rude by the minute. Fine you live 20 mi outside London..NOT in London I get it. I know England is small compared to the USA..I am not an idiot. My point which is true..is that living anywhere in the vicinity of London is going to be expensive so we were looking elsewhere. And yes my husband found IT jobs up north that paid very well. Obviously our husbands must be in different sectors of the IT field therefore looking for a different type of position.

You come off as very bitter. Sorry if you are sad about living there (that is how it comes off) and if you are wanting to come back to the states then I wish you well. Slamming a fellow American who is just "thinking" about moving to England someday and not going into it blindly is not really nice. Good day..

Colette
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Colette, first rule of forum life.... there's always a contrarian -- but the contrarian may have something worth listening to.

Second rule.... not everyone's nice.

Third rule.... some people are peaches in real life but come across as bitter apples online.

Possibly what some are trying to say is that one can't always have a made-to-order life. If you live in England, you may well find yourself having to live near London if that's where the work is. If you need to earn 55,000 per year to live, then you'll limit where you can live. Of course, if you work as well, you can add to your husband's salary. Twenty miles away from the City of London is vastly different than say twenty miles away from downtown LA.

I'd encourage you to live in England; if you could obtain British citizenship it opens the whole of Europe to you (in case your marriage ends for whatever reason, you would need to have citizenship in an EU country in your own right).
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Colette, first rule of forum life.... there's always a contrarian -- but the contrarian may have something worth listening to.

Third rule.... some people are peaches in real life but come across as bitter apples online.

Possibly what some are trying to say is that one can't always have a made-to-order life. If you live in England, you may well find yourself having to live near London if that's where the work is. If you need to earn 55,000 per year to live, then you'll limit where you can live. Of course, if you work as well, you can add to your husband's salary. Twenty miles away from the City of London is vastly different than say twenty miles away from downtown LA.

I'd encourage you to live in England; if you could obtain British citizenship it opens the whole of Europe to you (in case your marriage ends for whatever reason, you would need to have citizenship in an EU country in your own right).
I get what you are saying..though how you are taking to me is honest yet not rude...the OP was frankly being bitter and rude when there was no reason to be.

Honestly we are not at the point that this is definate or even in the near future. Just trying to get a feel so to speak and once I go there since I have not been we would have a better idea.

Colette
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

What a great word, that's gonna be my word of the day, it would be a good band name too, The Contrarians
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I get what you are saying..though how you are taking to me is honest yet not rude...the OP was frankly being bitter and rude when there was no reason to be.

Honestly we are not at the point that this is definate or even in the near future. Just trying to get a feel so to speak and once I go there since I have not been we would have a better idea.

Colette
I don't think so - she was trying to give you some information. Cool it.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nethead
What a great word, that's gonna be my word of the day, it would be a good band name too, The Contrarians
or the Bitter Apples
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally
I don't think so - she was trying to give you some information. Cool it.
Hmm maybe you didn't read all her posts correctly. She accused me of being hostile because I corrected her wrong assumptions about certain things that was all. Oh well who cares...
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
My mum always said i was a contrary child.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Adnams
My mum always said i was a contrary child.
Mary, Mary
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Mary, Mary
Exactly and I was too, a right minxer.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Is this two septics arguing ....Oh !! how quaint ...
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm maybe you didn't read all her posts correctly. She accused me of being hostile because I corrected her wrong assumptions about certain things that was all. Oh well who cares...
Honey ... calm down. Snowbunny made a good point - you won't always get replies that say what you want to hear, or that are communicated in a tone you would like. C'est la vie! If it pisses you off - go outside and swear for a bit, then take a deep breathe before you type. Or just ignore the post that irritated you, that's not hard. I've done it a couple of times myself ... not that anyone here has ever annoyed me ... or moved me to singing Lee Greenwood. Many on here can be friends to you and you'll benefit from their point of view, and they from yours ... but you'll need to make friends first of course.

I'm not attacking you at all by the way - just trying to give some advice which you can take or leave. Best of luck to you - sincerely. I wish I had the opportunity to live abroad that you will have. Good for you for considering it!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:19 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Is this two septics arguing ....Oh !! how quaint ...
Makes ya proud, don't it?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by commoner
But depending on what your husband's specialty actually is, the good wage jobs aren't all over.

My husband is a Group IT Manager for 10 different companies, and he makes £55k and a company car. If we could get the same wage and move up norf where living is cheaper, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

£55k is about double the national average in terms of wages. A huge percentage of people here (us included) rent our property, as we're not financially able to get a mortgage.

Another aspect to think about is your toddler. Many of the little villages middle to up north do not contain a young population. We're I live, there's plenty of playgroups, nice parks and various activities to keep you and your child entertained.

Finally, I'm assuming you have a support system of older relatives when it come to taking care of your toddler in Arizona. My marriage is strong, but we have no outside family support over here. And being with a small child 24/7 without any opportunities to drop her off to grandma's for the weekend? It's difficult and can be isolating.

Your responses to me have appeared to be a little hostile. I read this forum as I'd like to go back to the US one day, and I like to read about some of the trials and tribulations my husband may experience when living in the US.

My responses to you aren't meant to discourage you, but to give you information regarding the reality of living in the UK. It doesn't do any good to live next to Europe if you can't afford to travel there because you're living in York bringing in £23K per year and you're dishing out nearly $1000US a month for child care so you can work at Tesco.
On that salary I could get you a mortgage approval by tomorrow afternoon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.