Originally Posted by Sally
Why's everybody going
coz it makes sense sal not for a while in my case, but that's ok
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:48 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm hoping to have a foot in both countries. Well three feet actually...UK/US/Canada...is that even possible to have 3 feet?
yes it sure is and i know of peeps with 5 feet although we've only got 3.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'd encourage you, as I encourage UK expats to the US, to approach this with an open mind. And, from your comments, a bit more of an open mind than you currently have about this move.

You can always take the negatives of ANY country ("consumerism", "keeping up with the Jones", "excessive heat", "expensive insurance") and compare them to the positives of another country ("NHS", "Village Life", "Culture", "close to Europe") and pretty much 100 times out of 100 the one you are viewing positively will win out. A lot of folks who move to the US from the UK are in this 'newness' phase followed by the 'honeymoon' in which they look back only with the bad things in mind and look forward with optimism.

Then it hits them.

The streets aren't paved with gold, the NHS isn't the greatest thing in the world, jobs aren't easy to finds, things cost more than you expected, Europe is farther away (financially, time constraints) than you hoped, rainy days are nice until you go 30 of them in a row and your skin changes color. The list goes on and on.

For example, I haven't been back to Hong Kong in over two years. I miss the great food, I miss the skyline, I miss Happy Valley racing and being 5 minutes and a $5 cab ride away from all my friends. I long to go back. But I don't think about the assholes on the bus, the heat and humidity, the 'meat product' that I don't want to know about, the dirt and grime. If I was back for a longer period of time, those memories would probably be pretty strong.

While you are on your trip (and note, I'm still encouraging you to go, even full time) I think you should ask the people you meet about good things, like the schools, or the houses, or the nice pub, and trips abroad. But don't be shy and afraid to ask them about some of the pitfalls you can expect--waiting for health care, confusing red tape, lack of high paying jobs in your field, tiny and expensive housing. Really use your trip to get 'both sides' of life over there, not so much so you can talk yourself out of it, more so that when you do go, you aren't wearing any rose colored glasses and can appreciate it for what it truly is.

Good luck.
I first will say that I appreciate your response though I disagree with you in saying I am not being open minded enough. I don't see how I have come across that way at all. I am taking a trip there to first see how I like it....if I can afford it then later we will take another trip to "see" a second time. (I think this is being open minded...???) We have also talked about maybe going there for a summer if possible since I have found a few "temp" speech therapists jobs I could apply for.

I know NHS is not perfect....I am sure it has huge downfalls as does the system here in the US but of course that is not our main reason to leave here as that would be silly.

Now if I was saying..."oh neither my husband or I are citizens have no special visas and...we are going to just up and move there and live in London and pray to find a job" then I would give anyone permission to slap me silly

Our reasons for "considering"(that is all we are doing at this point) the UK are more for the experience itself. It helps that my husband's dad and his whole family are from there originally which is why my husband is a dual...or else it would be much harder to even think about moving there and getting a job. If I could afford to live in New York City (in a nice place not a dump) then I would as it is the cultural mecca of the US...(and yes there are a few other culturally minded cities here too). So yes living in England has its appeal being close to European cities, Scotland, N. Ireland and so forth. We would NOT be going to another country monthly as that would be expensive...but to save up for trips and actually be able to go by train or ferry to some of these places is a nice option. As of now flying to Europe and touring several countries is not an option with our jobs and a toddler.

Okay I think I have said all I can at this point. We are not selling all our belongings and our cars to up and leave tomorrow...we are taking this slow. Also why I am here is to get "the truth" the good and the bad

Colette
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:55 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rookins26
I first will say that I appreciate your response though I disagree with you in saying I am not being open minded enough. I don't see how I have come across that way at all.

Colette
i don't see that you have tbh, you seem quite the opposite to me and very open minded and by joining this forum and the yankee forum - although it's not the same as being in the uk obviously - you are getting a good perspective of what and what not to expect.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Hmmm okay I thought you had said you lived outside London so I meant that we are not looking anywhere in the vicinity. As far as jobs my husband has found those wages all over....the IT field even in the US is luckily a job that can be done anywhere as long as you live in a decent sized city and not a little town. That said he would accept a lower wage to live elsewhere in England...which helps when the cost of living is lower than areas in the south.

Colette
But depending on what your husband's specialty actually is, the good wage jobs aren't all over.

My husband is a Group IT Manager for 10 different companies, and he makes £55k and a company car. If we could get the same wage and move up norf where living is cheaper, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

£55k is about double the national average in terms of wages. A huge percentage of people here (us included) rent our property, as we're not financially able to get a mortgage.

Another aspect to think about is your toddler. Many of the little villages middle to up north do not contain a young population. We're I live, there's plenty of playgroups, nice parks and various activities to keep you and your child entertained.

Finally, I'm assuming you have a support system of older relatives when it come to taking care of your toddler in Arizona. My marriage is strong, but we have no outside family support over here. And being with a small child 24/7 without any opportunities to drop her off to grandma's for the weekend? It's difficult and can be isolating.

Your responses to me have appeared to be a little hostile. I read this forum as I'd like to go back to the US one day, and I like to read about some of the trials and tribulations my husband may experience when living in the US.

My responses to you aren't meant to discourage you, but to give you information regarding the reality of living in the UK. It doesn't do any good to live next to Europe if you can't afford to travel there because you're living in York bringing in £23K per year and you're dishing out nearly $1000US a month for child care so you can work at Tesco.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:33 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
he like's it really.
You dirty sows.

*my first thought when I read it too*
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:36 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Okay I think I have said all I can at this point. We are not selling all our belongings and our cars to up and leave tomorrow...we are taking this slow. Also why I am here is to get "the truth" the good and the bad

Colette
Good luck with the search. I wish more US folk would try living in a different country, even if it is for a couple of years

Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:40 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner
But depending on what your husband's specialty actually is, the good wage jobs aren't all over.

Another aspect to think about is your toddler. Many of the little villages middle to up north do not contain a young population. We're I live, there's plenty of playgroups, nice parks and various activities to keep you and your child entertained.
There are some very big, vibrant cities "up north". I know because thats where I am from. They are full of nice parks, young families and lots to do.
Many villages too, if you can afford them, are fine for young families.
There are places with aging populations in the South as well as the North.

I have also lived in London and I grew up 30 mins west of London.
Quality of life and standard of living, in my personal opinion, is better in the North.
Don't forget..there's a Harvey Nicks in Leeds, Manchester and Edinburgh too.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
There are some very big, vibrant cities "up north". I know because thats where I am from. They are full of nice parks, young families and lots to do.

Quality of life and standard of living, in my personal opinion, is better in the North.
Oh the Victorian Arcade in Leeds, now that is a treasue not just for the architecture but the shops.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:52 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Oh the Victorian Arcade in Leeds, now that is a treasue not just for the architecture but the shops.
Leeds is my home town, so I love it to bits.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really? I never knew. Just pm'd you. Was in Leeds for a while
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Comes 2nd to Sheffield though....
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:25 am
Who?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Comes 2nd to Sheffield though....
Sheffield.....hmmm. That hasn't got a Harvey Nicks though......

Seriously, though, hasn't Yorkshire got some amazing cities, Leeds, Sheffield, York and all that wonderful coastline. I love Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay. And the Moors....it just gets better!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Please allow me to clarify. I wasn't trying to imply up north was a bad area in which to live. Personally I'd love to live in Cornwall (knowing Corny isn't up north but it isn't the southeast), and we'd do it if husband's job had the same earning power as down south.

In many instances you can't earn in Leeds what you can earn in London.

Just trying to point out a lot of small villagey places around here, Charlwood comes to mind, has a nursery and occasionally the NCT get together and have teddy bear picnics out in the park, but there's nothing in the local area for small children on a regular basis. If you don't drive, bus service won't be a big help as a bus runs through Charlwood only once an hour.

It is certainly worth posting on UK-Yankee and asking people with small children about living in particular geographical locations to get an idea what to expect.

A woman off of UK-Yankee contacted me a few weeks ago. She moved to a little village with her two teenage children. All three felt lonely and isolated. I don't think they sat down as a family and considered their move carefully enough.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sheffield.....hmmm. That hasn't got a Harvey Nicks though......

Seriously, though, hasn't Yorkshire got some amazing cities, Leeds, Sheffield, York and all that wonderful coastline. I love Scarborough, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay. And the Moors....it just gets better!
HN is not good enough for Sheffield.

Yep I love Yorkshire and Cheshire and the people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.