Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Dream Still Alive?

The American Dream Still Alive?

Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Dream Still Alive?

Originally Posted by AngloDreamer
Why don't you fill me in
Give you a good hiding.

He means to duff you up.
Give you a good beating. LoL.
Originally Posted by snowbunny
If the Eskimos have 50 words for the different kinds of snow
How many different expressions do the Mancunians have for getting the shit kicked out of you?
I think I've got it now. Manc either offered to pummel me or impregnate me.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think I've got it now. Manc either offered to pummel me or impregnate me.
pummel.

add that to the list snowbunny.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 5:07 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
pummel.

Thank God.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:55 am
Just Joined

PhilUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Silly Sod,

I'm a 22 year Engineering veteran of the Automotive Industry (Ford) here in the UK and want to permanently relocate to the US.
Although not the best time to do so, can you offer any possible contacts in this field.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

Phil.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:49 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilUK
Hi Silly Sod,

I'm a 22 year Engineering veteran of the Automotive Industry (Ford) here in the UK and want to permanently relocate to the US.
Although not the best time to do so, can you offer any possible contacts in this field.

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

Phil.
If you are working for Ford and have been for that long, then you already have the best possible "in". Unless they aren't offering any trans-atlantic postings.

Funny really, I'm trying to do the reverse.

Any contacts?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:44 am
Just Joined

PhilUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xebedee
If you are working for Ford and have been for that long, then you already have the best possible "in". Unless they aren't offering any trans-atlantic postings.

Funny really, I'm trying to do the reverse.

Any contacts?
Hi Xebedee,

Many US Auto companies also have UK operations.

Were do you live and when are you looking to move.

Moving to the UK is probably a great deal easier than relocation to the US.

Give me a few details and I'll try and forward some possible contacts.

I'm looking to move to Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia or the Carolinas, although would accept almost anywhere to get my foot in the door.

Any potential H1 contacts you know of?????????

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:09 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Xebedee,

Many US Auto companies also have UK operations.

Were do you live and when are you looking to move.

Moving to the UK is probably a great deal easier than relocation to the US.

Give me a few details and I'll try and forward some possible contacts.

I'm looking to move to Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Virginia or the Carolinas, although would accept almost anywhere to get my foot in the door.

Thanks
I'm the wrong person to ask about H1 visa's but I've worked here a while. Check your in-box & perhaps we can network something here.

Bon chance.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not much chance tbh, even if you found a willing sponsor who wants to splash a good $5-6K on a lottery, they couldn't apply till April for an Oct start. Your best bet is the L1 company transfer...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:46 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by Bob
Not much chance tbh, even if you found a willing sponsor who wants to splash a good $5-6K on a lottery, they couldn't apply till April for an Oct start. Your best bet is the L1 company transfer...
Yeah, you lot know more about the types of visas and what they mean. It may be a shot in the dark but I wonder of placement agencies here are interested in trying to bring in someone from overseas? No harm in trying, I suppose.

This not being able to get into America sh!t is just that, its sh!t. There is a need for technically trained and more importantly, experienced people in some parts.
Where I am presently, they put up 20 cubicles in October. They posted in-house (cuz they had to) 5 of these jobs. These are $50k technical perm positions too. So far there are 3 new hires and one of them is a Russian. They cannot find the employees.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Agencies tend to be scams, they don't do anything that you couldn't do yourself without the fee.

Yeah, you lot know more about the types of visas and what they mean. It may be a shot in the dark but I wonder of placement agencies here are interested in trying to bring in someone from overseas? No harm in trying, I suppose.

This not being able to get into America sh!t is just that, its sh!t. There is a need for technically trained and more importantly, experienced people in some parts.
Where I am presently, they put up 20 cubicles in October. They posted in-house (cuz they had to) 5 of these jobs. These are $50k technical perm positions too. So far there are 3 new hires and one of them is a Russian. They cannot find the employees.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:02 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

The American Dream is exactly what it says ....its a dream....we try to get there with sheer determination and hard work but for some people its just always out of reach....and no matter how much you earn...its never quite enough, because for some strange reasons,...the more you earn the more your monthly expenses go up..go figure..
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:56 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I ask what field the positions are in? Cos $50k is not a lot for many highly skilled technical positions outside academia.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Dare I ask what field the positions are in? Cos $50k is not a lot for many highly skilled technical positions outside academia.
I think Xebedee raises a 'sad but true' fact about a lot of positions in America - they are not terribly well paid. Without knowing the experience level associated with these positions it's hard to be detailed, but it's a bit scary to me that permanent technical positions are offering only $50k. Achieving the American Dream on $50k is not easy.

For me, the American Dream is real, and I feel I achieved it. I came here with nothing - no connections, no friends, stayed at a $50/night crappo motel while I looked for an apartment and car. I've achieved everything I could hope for, and more. I came to the most expensive place in the country (bay area) and survived and thrived. I've never had to put anyone else down in order to achieve this (in fact I've hired and nurtured many people), and enjoyed almost every day of it. I feel sure I could not have achieved this in the UK - so I credit this to 'America'.

Now, I was incredibly lucky in that I chose, by pure luck, computers as my field at University in UK, and chose not to bail on the course even though it was desperately difficult, when most of my 'liberal arts' type friends (History, Economics, Anthropology, etc) seemed to have a much easier time of it. Choosing computers happened to be my ticket to the 'dream', and I was lucky. It's sad that teachers and others are not so lucky.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:42 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think Xebedee raises a 'sad but true' fact about a lot of positions in America - they are not terribly well paid. Without knowing the experience level associated with these positions it's hard to be detailed, but it's a bit scary to me that permanent technical positions are offering only $50k. Achieving the American Dream on $50k is not easy.

For me, the American Dream is real, and I feel I achieved it. I came here with nothing - no connections, no friends, stayed at a $50/night crappo motel while I looked for an apartment and car. I've achieved everything I could hope for, and more. I came to the most expensive place in the country (bay area) and survived and thrived. I've never had to put anyone else down in order to achieve this (in fact I've hired and nurtured many people), and enjoyed almost every day of it. I feel sure I could not have achieved this in the UK - so I credit this to 'America'.

Now, I was incredibly lucky in that I chose, by pure luck, computers as my field at University in UK, and chose not to bail on the course even though it was desperately difficult, when most of my 'liberal arts' type friends (History, Economics, Anthropology, etc) seemed to have a much easier time of it. Choosing computers happened to be my ticket to the 'dream', and I was lucky. It's sad that teachers and others are not so lucky.
Hey, I'm pleased for you that you have enjoyed your time in the US, but I can't agree about not achieving that in the UK - millions of people do exactly that, start with very little, work hard, live in interesting areas and enjoy their lives. I don't see the UK as greatly different than the US in the level of opportunities it can offer for the average person.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Hey, I'm pleased for you that you have enjoyed your time in the US, but I can't agree about not achieving that in the UK - millions of people do exactly that, start with very little, work hard, live in interesting areas and enjoy their lives. I don't see the UK as greatly different than the US in the level of opportunities it can offer for the average person.
All I can say is, I tried! I graduated in the UK, and worked there for 3 years. I could see my career going very slowly, and the idea of home ownership was impossible in the area I lived (and loved) and wanted to stay - London. Conversely, I arrived in SF and my career moved very quickly, and I was able to buy a home within 2 years of arrival - in the city claimed to be the most expensive in the country. I have friends in UK doing very well - but they are in the finance field, or vets, or doctors. So I'd say the same 'dream' may work in the UK, but not for engineers; not if you want to live in London.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 6th 2008 at 7:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.