Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Dream Still Alive?

The American Dream Still Alive?

Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Jackal5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down The American Dream Still Alive?

Hello All,

I'm a 21 yr old student from London, UK. I recently returned from the United States after completing an internship in Virginia, USA. Having returned I'm debating whether to return to the United States after finishing University.

I found American life quite exciting with many opportunities in terms of work. I find it also less stressful in terms of living in England.

However, my question is, is the American dream still alive? I asked many of my fellow American friends if they liked living in America and would they ever consider moving abroad, some replied yes, some no.

Having saw a report by the BBC stating that Australia and Canada are now the two top Country's Brits tend to move to, I'm wondering whether America would be the best choice for me.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Dream Still Alive?

Originally Posted by Jackal5
Having saw a report by the BBC stating that Australia and Canada are now the two top Country's Brits tend to move to,
that's because for the most part the US is a closed shop.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Manc's right. If you read the guide to Living and Working in the US you'll see that it's very difficult for a Brit to emigrate to the US unless they marry a USC.

Canada and Australia, on the other hand, operate a points-based immigration system which makes it much easier to emigrate to those countries if you have a skill in a particular field.

As for whether the American Dream is still alive... that very much depends on who you ask, their age, religion, ethnic group and social class over here. With the current anti-immigrant sentiments, crashing housing market, credit crunch and possible looming recession, the "American Dream" may not be what it's cracked up to be.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Oh good point. I'm aware that the United Kingdom isn't allowed to participate in the green card lottery. Good job I'm an Irish/British passport holder.

However, that aside, even if the UK were allowed to participate, would you think the USA would be on top of the list for Brits to immigrate to?
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good point. I'm aware that the United Kingdom isn't allowed to participate in the green card lottery. Good job I'm an Irish/British passport holder.

However, that aside, even if the UK were allowed to participate, would you think the USA would be on top of the list for Brits to immigrate to?
DV lottery has nothing to do with it.
the odds of winning are VERY slim anyways.

People either come here for family or because they are experts in their fields......

people don't usually come here on a whim because they want a better life............. they come here usually because it's either the dole or a divorce if they don't.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK your passport is irrelevant - it matters where you were born. NI counts as Ireland, I believe.

Personally I feel that anyone with itchy feet would be better advised to look for opportunities in the EU though.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

My passport is irrelevant? In regard to the DV lottery, citizens of Ireland are allowed to participate in the lottery and the United Kingdom aren't. Correct?
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

My passport is irrelevant? In regard to the DV lottery, citizens of Ireland are allowed to participate in the lottery and the United Kingdom aren't. Correct?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it is the country of BIRTH that matters, not citizenship.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:56 pm
@matthewb76

No. primarily where you were born.

Native of a country whose natives qualify:
In most cases this means the country in which you were born. However, there are two other ways you may be able to qualify. First, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible but your spouse was born in a country whose natives are eligible, you can claim your spouse’s country of birth provided both you and your spouse are on the selected entry, are issued visas and enter the U.S. simultaneously. Second, if you were born in a country whose natives are ineligible, but neither of your parents was born there or resided there at the time of your birth, you may claim nativity in one of your parents’ country of birth if it is a country whose natives qualify for the DV-2009 program.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The American Dream is a dream dreamt by Americans to better themselves and provide for their children opportunities and a life richer then they had themselves.

To me, an American, that dream is very much alive. I lived my life with that dream and saw its fruitation in the lives of my children and they now are dreaming it for themselves and their children.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:24 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

While helping the construction guys when we were trying to get the house together, I did a stint pouring concrete. The hardest work I have ever done in 90 degree heat by the way.

I said, jokingly, to the 70 year old father of the family run firm (his 40 year old son and 65 year old wife were also pouring concrete - and making it look much easier than me!!!) Anyhoo, I said - so, this is the american dream is it? The old guy looked at me and laughed - American dream? American f uckin nightmare you mean. I guess if you are still pouring concrete for a living age 70 the american dream doesn't shine so bright.

Then you have the 70 year old folk working registers at wal-mart on the night shift to buy pills that cost mere cents to produce. Or, the saddest sight I can imagine, an old age pensioner wearing a ridiculas baseball cap and headset as he serves you shit food in Long John Silvers.

That makes me want to weep. Bad enough that he has to work there at his age but damn, taking what little dignity he has left by making him wear that get up. They say you are never more than two weeks from bankruptcy in the US. And that is if you are sitting on a coll mil. Just a few rambling thoughts folks.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Rete
The American Dream is a dream dreamt by Americans to better themselves and provide for their children opportunities and a life richer then they had themselves.

To me, an American, that dream is very much alive. I lived my life with that dream and saw its fruitation in the lives of my children and they now are dreaming it for themselves and their children.

that's hardly a dream exclusive to america though.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
that's hardly a dream exclusive to america though.

Of course, it isn't

It is a dream of all peoples, I'd say.

BTW I only brought up my 'version' of the American Dream because I've never heard of it being a foreigner's dream in regards to emigrating to the US.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:28 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, it isn't

BTW I only brought up my 'version' of the American Dream because I've never heard of it being a foreigner's dream in regards to emigrating to the US.
I should have come here ten years ago. I always wanted to do a Hunter S and go seek the american dream. Far too old for all that monkey business now (sigh)
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:32 pm
@matthewb76

Of course, it isn't

I think the american dream is old hat.

it applied when peopel arrived at Ellis Island and grafted like hell in a sweatshop so they could afford to buy a plot of land and live off it.

I don't think it applies anymore...

The american dream nowadays is go to college, come out in debt.
move up the corporation ladder by screwing anyone over on the way and be thankful for 2 weeks vacation a year.

and if you are one of the screwed over then you've not been personally responsible and deserve to die in the gutter on social security.

my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.