Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American dad, British mum... help with full time parenting!

American dad, British mum... help with full time parenting!

Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

SimoneX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American dad, British mum... help with full time parenting!

How can I move to USA to bring up my American child with the support of her American father?

I'm British born living her in UK and he his American born living in the states. We are no longer together, but we both want the best for our child and want to be in her life full time but do not wish to live together.

I'm not looking for a husband and I do not want to start a new chapter with him again, we get on so much better has parents and we'd like to keep it that way.

He has commitments in US so wishes to stay there so it makes more sense for me to try to move there with our child.

Is there any visa I could go for? My child is a minor.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American dad, British mum... help with full time parenting!

A dual citizen child gives you nothing immigration-wise until they turn 21. Look for yes answers here. If you can't answer yes to any of them, there is no way this board knows of that you can live and work in the US.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably the child is a dual citizen,? You did not say, that would be the first step.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that if you take your child to the US, she may be unable to leave the country without the father's consent (regardless of whether you are allowed to stay there).
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:09 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

We don't even know if this child has been recognized as an American. Anyone who watches Maury knows that paternity isn't always clear cut.

Was the child born in the US? How much time have you spent in the US yourself? Under what status?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimoneX
Is there any visa I could go for? My child is a minor.
No idea about a visa for you, but if the child is a US citizen (which it seems she might be) then s/he will need a US passport prior to entering the US.

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

SimoneX is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have gathered that there is no visa for me so it looks like we'll be living here for good.

I have something to think about now - I would die if my child's father tried to keep her in US when it was time for us to return to the UK upon visiting him. I never once considered he could get nasty, especially has he wants to be in his child life full time.

Well he will just have to come visit her here more often.

Thanks anyway!