Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: America the Beautiful

Originally Posted by krizzy
i love green iced tea........and good iced coffee........

Now iced coffee IS something I grew up with in New England, but unknown here in theSouth until Starbucks and such.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:45 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We saw one similar to that. Looked very comfy. Unfortunately we don't have room to park it and it would have to go to a storage lot. Another reason why my husband didn't like the idea. That and having to buy a big a$$ truck to drive it around.
Yeah a lot HoA's wont let you park one on your property. Luckily ours didnt mind.

So, whats the drawback with a big ass truck?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Yeah a lot HoA's wont let you park one on your property. Luckily ours didnt mind.

So, whats the drawback with a big ass truck?
We have two perfectly good cars and my Scotsman husband doesn't see the reasoning behind buying anything else. Its not the big a$$ truck per se
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:37 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I love living in a house that I would have to be a bloody millionaire to afford in England!
My US house is a bit like a garden shed......and if I had to buy it now.....I'd have to be a bloody millionaire to get even that around here......
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:42 pm
ImHere

We have two perfectly good cars and my Scotsman husband doesn't see the reasoning behind buying anything else. Its not the big a$$ truck per se

Aah scottish eh? Say no more. He could sell one of the cars and replace it with a big a$$ truck.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Aah scottish eh? Say no more. He could sell one of the cars and replace it with a big a$$ truck.
Not without financing it. And even I'm quite happy to do without car payments.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:35 pm
ImHere

Not without financing it. And even I'm quite happy to do without car payments.
Small tent it is then.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok peeps. Here it is. Your chance to say all the nice things about living in America. Since we seem to have a number of members who cant cope with the moans and groans. So come on lets be having you all.

America IS beautiful.

Like a beautiful woman, though, she has hidden flaws.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:07 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Dimsie
America IS beautiful.

Like a beautiful woman, though, she has hidden flaws.
I completely agree. One of the main reasons we moved here when we got the opportunity was to try to discover the real inner beauty of the place. It does after all have an awful lot to see and do and discover beyond the sterotypical images.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree. One of the main reasons we moved here when we got the opportunity was to try to discover the real inner beauty of the place. It does after all have an awful lot to see and do and discover beyond the sterotypical images.
couldn't agree more - and i'm sure most of us feel the same - even if we do need to let off steam by ranting about those stereotypes every so often!!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

I've dragged this thread back rather than start a new one - it seems appropriate!

Last week we took a trip to Colorado. More confirmation that America is, indeed beautiful!

We dipped into New Mexico first, as far as Santa Fe, though only for one night, as a "taster" for future reference. I absolutely loved Santa Fe, its atmosphere, and adobe architecture. The galleries and shops are wonderful - best I've seen since I came to the USA. During the afternoon there was a musician playing in the plaza - imagine my surprise when he spoke to the audience, to hear a northern English accent. I felt more at home there than I have anywhere in the US - footpaths all around, a great lively, loose, lovely place.

We moved on into Colorado to our ultimate destination, Mesa Verde country. We wanted to explore some of the Anasazi ruins - ancient dwellings of the Ancestral Puebloans. Mesa Verde National Park is spectacular. Up 23 miles of hairpin bends to the top of a mesa for starters! We only managed to see one set of dwellings - others took an hour of strenuous hiking, which we were not up to in the heat. Amazing place. There's lots of info on Google if anyone is interested in taking a trip there.

After Mesa Verde we stumbled by chance on the San Luis Valley, when starting back on our eastward journey home. This was surprise!
Surrounded by 14,000ft high peaks of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and another range - I forget the name! The valley is vast - 50 miles wide and 50 long. It has always been looked on as a sacred place by Native Americans who called it The Bloodless Valley - no fighting allowed there. We came across a UFO Watchtower and chatted with the owner for ages... didn't see any UFOs though. We then ventured further into the remote areas of the Valley where many spiritual and religious groups have built retreats and temples. Buddhists,Zen, Tibetan, Japanese, and others. We happened across a large white Buddhist shrine , or stupa, which it seems had only recently been constructed. There were a few dwellings under construction also - wierd and wonderful designs, being self-built by the owners, often with prayer flags fluttering in the breeze.

In all it was a magical mystery tour, looking at things past, present and even, perhaps the future, from what the UFO lady had to say!

Loved it all - highly recommended !! Thank you America!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimsie
After Mesa Verde we stumbled by chance on the San Luis Valley, when starting back on our eastward journey home. This was surprise!
Surrounded by 14,000ft high peaks of the Sangre de Christo Mountains, and !
I have 5 acres in the San Luis valley going very cheap ..if you want it ...
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Well,

I come from somewhere in the UK that has been nominated a high 'chavtown'.

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.p...=article&sid=3

Thus, it has and will never take much for me to be insanely impressed and happy at living somewhere new!

That said, I'll mention a few things I love about living in Texas.

1) The freakin SUNSHINE!
2) Every apartment complex (flat) having a swimming pool!
3) Being able to use my outdoor pool in December!

4) The girls, the girls the girls. Texas has more than its fair share of blonde and beautiful babes.
5) The fact that girls find British accents sexy.
6) As has already been mentioned, the accent being associated with intelligence.
7) Sonic, Quizno's, Chilli's and the plethora of food chains.
8) Paying less than 3 pounds to see a film at the cinema.
9) Having a better standard of living earning a grad student salary (virtually poverty level - $12k) than working for the MOD and earning national average. 23k pounds.
10) Friendly waiters and waitresses.
11) Cheap everything...DVD player walmart $29.99.
12) The prospects to make some REAL money with an academic PhD.
13) The blatant American respect and admiration of everything British.
14) Lastly but most importantly - my fiance. aaaaaah.

Things I miss

Pickled onion monster munches.
indian food.
Salt and vinegar chipsticks.
cornish pasties.
Being able to insult a police officer and have him tell me 'well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it'. (seriously).

things I don't miss

larger'ed up lads who want to start a fight with you for no reason
rain
cold
not seeing the sun for months at a time
my credit card debt getting deeper by the nano-second
CYNICISM
PESSIMISM
Out country never winning any major sporting event

Last edited by robousy; Aug 12th 2005 at 6:39 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
I have 5 acres in the San Luis valley going very cheap ..if you want it ...

Are you pushing my leg, Lucy?

If not - how cheap is cheap?? How many figures?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pingu
Damn, now I'm homesick
Damn thank god I earn enough money to go home twoce a year and really enjoy the "rose tinted scotland"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.