British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   America the Beautiful (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/america-beautiful-315089/)

ImHere Jul 20th 2005 8:48 pm

America the Beautiful

Ok peeps. Here it is. Your chance to say all the nice things about living in America. Since we seem to have a number of members who cant cope with the moans and groans. So come on lets be having you all.

sibsie Jul 20th 2005 8:51 pm

Re: America the Beautiful

Errrrrrrr. Nah, it's gone. ;)

WarriorLife Jul 20th 2005 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
Errrrrrrr. Nah, it's gone. ;)

No. I think instead I'll talk about how soccer is REAL football, how smalltown Minnesota can't run a true British pub (go figure that one!), how I can't buy my beloved [insert product name], how Americans are [insert insult] and then have a fake drink in my crappy cyber pub!

How's that?

BritGuyTN Jul 20th 2005 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ok peeps. Here it is. Your chance to say all the nice things about living in America. Since we seem to have a number of members who cant cope with the moans and groans. So come on lets be having you all.

appalling depreciation on porsche 911's meaning used prices are half what they are in the uk

+ cheaper servicing

+ cheaper petrol

anotherlimey Jul 20th 2005 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by WarriorLife
No. I think instead I'll talk about how soccer is REAL football, how smalltown Minnesota can't run a true British pub (go figure that one!), how I can't buy my beloved [insert product name], how Americans are [insert insult] and then have a fake drink in my crappy cyber pub!

How's that?

Is that what you like about the US?:rolleyes:

Personally I prefer iHop.:p

CitySimon Jul 20th 2005 9:00 pm

The silly comments Americans come out with make it all worthwhile! (Just joking WarriorLife :D )

-----------

In honesty, If we didn't all love something about America we would not be here... Whether that thing is just our American spouses, the lifestyle or the opportunities which are available to people over here compared to back the England (from my own experience :) )

If somebody told me 3 years ago that I'd have the quality of life that I enjoy here at this time, I'd have said that were talking rubbish. Simply, I'd never have imagined that (based on my educational background) it would be possible.

I have my pet-peeves about America and Americans, but I have a lot to thank my wife for convincing me to move here.

Enjoy guys! :D :beer: :beer:

---------

OK, thats done! Back to the "Stupid Comments" thread! :rolleyes:

ladylisa Jul 20th 2005 9:04 pm

The best thing about living here is the space. :)

ImHere Jul 20th 2005 9:34 pm

How's that?

You really should peruse some of the things American expats in Britain say. try here for starters: www.americanexpats.co.uk

BritGuyTN Jul 20th 2005 10:10 pm

You really should peruse some of the things American expats in Britain say. try here for starters: www.americanexpats.co.uk

Taken from this hilarious link, a few choice extracts, things they think are weird in the UK:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/very%20british.htm

Having alcoholic beverages at lunch on a workday!

Tea with milk.

Sandwiches with butter on them or unusual sandwich filling combos such as chicken & sweetcorn, cheese & onion or brie & grape.

(what? rather than some nasty processed meat, with nasty processed cheese and nasty processed mayonnaise that has never seen an egg?)

WarriorLife Jul 20th 2005 10:14 pm

Yes but you still can't answer me -- what is the long drawn out obsession that you all have with these trivial matters.

ME: Day 1. Into a restaurant..."Hmmm, it seems Americans drink iced tea over here rather than warm tea. Oh well, whatever"

YOU LOT: Day 12300: "Can you believe it?Oh my God they drink tea with ice here! And they say fries instead of chips, and chips instead of crisps HAHAHAHAHA"

Easily amused, aren't you all? :D

britvic Jul 20th 2005 10:21 pm

Yes but you still can't answer me -- what is the long drawn out obsession that you all have with these trivial matters.

ME: Day 1. Into a restaurant..."Hmmm, it seems Americans drink iced tea over here rather than warm tea. Oh well, whatever"

YOU LOT: Day 12300: "Can you believe it?Oh my God they drink tea with ice here! And they say fries instead of chips, and chips instead of crisps HAHAHAHAHA"

Oh my God WTF still here then :mad:

anotherlimey Jul 20th 2005 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Oh my God WTF still here then :mad:

You would have thought that someone who found this place boring would just leave. :confused:

BritGuyTN Jul 20th 2005 10:23 pm

Actually the three examples you just whipped out are not completely straight

we use the word 'fries' occassionally

we have iced tea over here, just with less ice, its just not served out of jugs in restaurants...

things being different is fine - i'm in another country and i don't expect things to be the same. I do however reserve my right to moan and bitch when things are crap. THis is something I (and many others I'm sure) did when we lived in the UK.

BOTTOM LINE:

If I pay taxes I reserve the right to compain about stuff. Its not knocking america, its just knocking 'stuff'

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2005 10:25 pm

Moan....Groan :rolleyes:

Groan....Moan

pingu Jul 20th 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Having alcoholic beverages at lunch on a workday!

Damn, now I'm homesick :beer: