Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race in London, May 3- Anyone Watch It?

The Amazing Race in London, May 3- Anyone Watch It?

Old May 4th 2005, 8:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Amazing Race in London, May 3- Anyone Watch It?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
These are my suggestions for challenges for the British leg of the Amazing Race:

teams who can get round the M25 the fastest in a four wheel vehicle (this would have to be seriously edited to fit into the 40 mins program). Footage of problems with white van drivers is a must.

pub crawl round Oxford or some challenge on a bicycle around Oxford

catch the pigeon with the clue round its leg in Trafalgar Square

go apple bobbing in a very large dish of Balti

Try and score a goal against England's goalkeeper (don't know if this is a challenge or not)

NC Penguin
I think that last one should be score a penalty kick with an England shirt on.
Old May 4th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Could've gone to somewhere other than London. There are many other notable British cities. I'm sure there's direct flights from Istanbul to these British cities.

The episode only perpetuated the stereotype about the UK, i.e. to Americans the London is the UK and everyone from the UK is judged in terms of where they live from London...

NC Penguin
I guess you never watched the previous AR series where they visited Cambridge?.
Old May 4th 2005, 10:42 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

The most stereotypical image that featured in AR was that at the pitstop, teams were greeted by a British man wearing a bowler hat (he was fully clothed too). In all my years of living and working in London, I may have seen a bowler hatted man maybe once.

NC Penguin

he was complete with yellow teeth as well!
Old May 5th 2005, 12:34 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Nope. Like Cambridge isn't in the top five cities Americans would name if asked to name a British city.

NC Penguin
Old May 5th 2005, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

pub crawl round Oxford or some challenge on a bicycle around Oxford
Cycle around Oxford would be amusing, they'd get run over by all the ******* buses...plus ain't allowed to cycle in city centre during the day so that could be amusing so see
And a pub crawl, they'd get well wasted, fair few hundred pubs knocking around the city and 5 literally in spitting distance of Carfax Tower.
Old May 5th 2005, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Like Cambridge isn't in the top five cities Americans would name if asked to name a British city.
They'd first ask if there were a university there, and then where in London it was
Old May 5th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

NC Penguin
So why would they give a shit to go anywhere else, if their target audience doesn't know their Manchesters from their Norwich's?. Pretty useless argument for the sake of picking on Americans if you ask me.
Old May 5th 2005, 3:13 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
If you hadn't mentioned this I was definitely going to!

TAR is hands down my favorite show on TV and has been since day one. Every Tuesday night everything stops at our house at 9pm so we can watch TAR. I'm a travelholic and since I haven't been able to do much travelling the past couple of years, this helps fill the void.

I went to England to visit Mark in Dec-Jan 2002, just a few weeks after they showed the teams racing in Cambridge. Mark had to work one of my first days there, so his parents invited me to spend the day in Cambridge. They had never heard of the show, so I told them all about it and how the teams had done punting in Cambridge as one of their detour challenges.

As it happens, Mark's parents always park in the parking lot of a particular hotel every time they visit Cambridge -- and wouldn't you know it was RIGHT NEXT TO the punting place! I couldn't believe my eyes!! I got them to take my photo next to it; yes, I know, I'm sad.

I was also extremely excited when this season's teams went to Santiago, Chile, because I lived there for two years. I was pointing and shouting at the tv the whole time -- "I've been THERE!" and "I used to teach English classes right around the corner from there!" and "That's the road where I got hit by a car!!" (Yes, I really was!) That was pretty cool -- I'm sure many of you could relate upon seeing last night's show.

Speaking of, I guess it was sort of corny, that British guy at the mat -- but they always do that. That's part of the show's schtick. At least that guy seemed to be genuinely welcoming the teams, even shaking their hands. Most of the other welcomers just bellow out a "WELCOME TO [ENTER COUNTRY HERE]!!!" and scare the bejeezus out of people...

~ Jenney