Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Almost done with USA

Almost done with USA

Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost done with USA

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My mother was put on 'the pathway' twice earlier this year. The first time she improved...the second time she was put into a morphine induced coma. She died 7 days later...she was almost 90. She wasn't terminally ill but after the death of my father 12 months previously...had more or less given up on life.
This happened to my mother too back in October. It was at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester. The doctor took me into the hall and talked about the 'pathway to death'. All food and drink were stopped. My mum died a few days later. My dad died ten months earlier in a hospice.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
This happened to my mother too back in October. It was at Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester. The doctor took me into the hall and talked about the 'pathway to death'. All food and drink were stopped. My mum died a few days later. My dad died ten months earlier in a hospice.
Husband and I were discussing this earlier today. I still feel very uneasy about what happened...I know she'd given up but it was akin to putting an animal to sleep.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:06 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Is it me or is the USA turning into a country of idiotic bigots? Right after various bloggers and politicians whipped up outrage at the "Ground Zero Mosque", I now read that 18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim (it's 34% amongst Republicans). I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.
I went through this dilemma when I was deciding whether to do Naturalization.
I can never be truly a part of the popular thinking in the US, but all that means is that I am a minority - not just ethnically, but culture-wise.

There are plenty of Americans who are against bigotry and executions etc and people who are used to European culture should ally themselves with those kind of people in the US

There are also practical advantages to the US (although that can change) and so we must suffer some disadvantages in order to gain the advantages.

I like to listen to the BBC online but I don't have to stay a foreigner here as there are plenty of enlightened Americans too - they just need to be sought out a bit harder than in Europe.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

pcappel is an unknown quantity at this point

Nun

Please go back home. With your condescending attitude, I doubt few Americans would want you here. I'm sure I don't want you here. You're just reinforcing the image of Brits as stuck-up whining prats. Go home and give the rest of us a break.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcappel
Nun

Please go back home. With your condescending attitude, I doubt few Americans would want you here. I'm sure I don't want you here. You're just reinforcing the image of Brits as stuck-up whining prats. Go home and give the rest of us a break.
Well, hello to you, too. You went to the trouble of joining just so you could pick a fight in your first post?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Nun

Welcome to BE! might be an idea to take some breaths and test the waters before diving straight in with an aggressive first post.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt few Americans would want you here.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Throw away your TV. I do not have one (did not have one back in England either)
Maybe you still wouldn't have one if you were in England now - not if you value good quality television. There are so many repeats you wouldn't believe it - it's as if the program producers are totally devoid of any kind of originality or imagination at all that go beyond mindless foul mouthed "chat shows" featuring semi literate nonentities, a plethora of boring cookery programs, obscene reality shows involving the freakiest of people, ignorant neds and chavs going on coach holidays across Europe and adding to the shame of the UK over there even more.

This Sunday evening coming sees the very last showing of TV's long running Last of the Summer Wine which over time has featured some well known actors and actors, many of whom are no longer with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sds9TFBT9e4
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Nun

I think it could be the "T" word here again.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:00 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
This Sunday evening coming sees the very last showing of TV's long running Last of the Summer Wine which over time has featured some well known actors and actors, many of whom are no longer with us.
And thank God for that! Last of the Summer Wine was rubbish.

Tip top theme tune though.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert

Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert

hey

I lived in Holmfirth for 10 years, I like seeing Last of the Summer Wine now, just to see the town again. I watch it muted of course
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
hey

I lived in Holmfirth for 10 years, I like seeing Last of the Summer Wine now, just to see the town again. I watch it muted of course
Did you keep racing down hills in a bathtub?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did you keep racing down hills in a bathtub?
Yep, I had my wellies and wrinkly stockings on too
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:34 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Yep, I had my wellies and wrinkly stockings on too
So when did you change your name from Nora to Nicky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.