Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Almost done with USA

Wikiposts

Almost done with USA

Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost done with USA

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Fixed it for ya!

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't make me get all mod on ya, kitten. You're not s'posed to do that anymore, even when it's funny/true/makes your point.

fanks
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
She didn't say the patient didn't recognize how reformed healthcare could benefit her, she said she believed physicals for senior citizens were in order to determine who should be euthanized.
Yes, but she doesn't understand, or she wouldn't think that, right?
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, but she doesn't understand, or she wouldn't think that, right?
A lot of people are easily scared and vulnerable to misinformation.

I had a well-educated teacher insist to me last week that the entire cost of employer-provided health insurance is going to be taxed as income from this year on. This kind of mis-information will continue to get floated by those who want to repeal health care reform, just as they attempted the "death panel" nonsense before passage.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A lot of people are easily scared and vulnerable to misinformation.

I had a well-educated teacher insist to me last week that the entire cost of employer-provided health insurance is going to be taxed as income from this year on. This kind of mis-information will continue to get floated by those who want to repeal health care reform, just as they attempted the "death panel" nonsense before passage.
I realize this is an old stat, but I'd say the percentages are still quite high.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/03...ill-affect-th/
Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Almost done with USA

We're still in the UK, coming to AZ on an L1A in a few months.

I can (un)happily tell you we have plenty of uninformed people here in the UK. I don't think you can blame these individuals so much as the newspapers they read, and the TV they watch.

Good quality journalism seems to be very thin on the ground in many countries. We have no real motivations to question things, to find the truth and get involved. Why? We're too comfortable. Until we decided to move to the USA we had no need to learn more about the US. My wife and I are well travelled by anyone's standards. We've both lived overseas and I have graduate and post graduate degrees in fairly useful subjects. Only now do we have cause to educate ourselves. BE has really helped with this, but you have to explore all sides of an argument before deciding. And thankfully BE does have more than 1 side to express! But it takes time and effort, and I guess most people don't appreciate this aspect, or simply can't be bothered.

Still, it is entertaining....!

Cheers

harry
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellopaul
Throw away your TV. I do not have one (did not have one back in England either) and you're far better off not knowing (or caring) what's going on politically. After all, nothing will change...you will go to work, pay tax, then die. Presidents will sent people to their deaths because it's profitable to do so. The US economy will continue to spiral downwards, but it doesn't matter because the world loves the dollar.

I think I'm better off not being reminded of this every day. Ignorance is bliss, when it comes to something you cannot change (I'm not a US citizen, so am not eligible to waste an afternoon queing up to "vote" in the misguided belief that there is some form of democracy in any country any longer). But even if I could vote, I could maybe help oust the figurehead, but I can't vote to remove Halliburton, Israel, Monsanto, GM, Fox News and all the other organisations who tell the president how high to jump. And before someone tells me "if I don't like it, go back to England" - it's the same story there, and I did not come here to escape dodgy politics; I was fully aware of the dire situation both here and in the UK.

...why do I have a strangely familiar feeling that I might be stirring up a bit of a hornet's nest here?http://www.the370z.com/images/smilies/th_stirthepot.gif
Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Same here , I got rid of the TV 18 years ago and I don't miss mainstream TV in the slightest, I do get Netflix though.

My daughter asked me after the oil spill if I thought everything was going to s##t,. I explained that this hype as been going on for eon's and next week it will be something else and so 'ad infinitum'.

Fortunately, I have found my own Shangri La here, and I am, for the most part surrounded by like minded people.

I go back to Manchester a few times a year and I do fantasize about living there again, politically though I am not sure it's much different, although socially I think it may be better.

So for now , home is where the van is .......

Sell your TV, I would rather be ignorant than misinformed. And with your new found time, go out and get involved with your community, you can create change far more locally, than using the ballot box.

Just my opinion of course.
Ridiculous comments - so far as it relates to "nothing will change" bit...
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Ridiculous comments - so far as it relates to "nothing will change" bit...
I don't know..wouldn't you say there is some truth to the ol' adage "the more things change, the more they stay the same"?

Those with money, either individuals or corporations, will always advocate to their best interests and to hell with anyone else. Only way around it is to take away their power, and that isn't in politicians best interests is it? Unless we can all somehow move on to a Utopian society where money doesn't mean anything, people will always walk over other people they deem less worthy....but I digress..
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
We're still in the UK, coming to AZ on an L1A in a few months.

I can (un)happily tell you we have plenty of uninformed people here in the UK. I don't think you can blame these individuals so much as the newspapers they read, and the TV they watch.
I call it Murdochism - a.k.a Foxnews-ism in the US
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Especially when you couple it with the fact that 27% think he was "definitely or probably born outside the US".

I used to laugh at this stuff, but there really does seem to be a scary side to it in that a significant minority of the population doesn't see him as a "legitimate" President.
Funny, cos even if that was true, it doesn't make him inelgible anyway.

You just have to be born an American.

So my son was born in Frimley in Surrey, but wife's American, so he was born an American. Makes him entirely eligible to become President... no pressure

If you look up where John McCain was born, that's kind of interesting...
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't know..wouldn't you say there is some truth to the ol' adage "the more things change, the more they stay the same"?

Those with money, either individuals or corporations, will always advocate to their best interests and to hell with anyone else. Only way around it is to take away their power, and that isn't in politicians best interests is it? Unless we can all somehow move on to a Utopian society where money doesn't mean anything, people will always walk over other people they deem less worthy....but I digress..
I am not saying Politicians always work in the best interests of 'common man' but just saying "I threw out the TV 20 years ago coz nothing is going to change" is a bit much. Everyoneis entitled to an opinion sure however, I am more of an optimistic person. Change in one's life is an overall statement. There are things that one can change themselves. They don't need Obama OR politicians. Immigration, health etc sure that's something one can not change but say education, lack of jobs just mean more hard work.

As I said, everyone has their opinion. I just thought overall both of the comments were extreme.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.
See ya, then.....
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Especially when you couple it with the fact that 27% think he was "definitely or probably born outside the US".

I used to laugh at this stuff, but there really does seem to be a scary side to it in that a significant minority of the population doesn't see him as a "legitimate" President.
It remains to be seen whether the American people are as nieve and gullible as the persistant and pervasive, propaganda outlets and polls would have us believe. I also laugh a lot less at the obvious and deliberate, daily attemps to mislead the US populace, wondering if enough voters will buy into the scam, to be of any impact on who is elected.

I am, however an eternal optimist who believes that America usually gets it right eventually. There is a good chance that those who deliberately mislead the public, will pay the political price for their cheap shot agenda, for short term political expediency.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Almost done with USA

Originally Posted by hobbes79
McCain was born in 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone, at the US Naval Air Station. From 1903 to 1979 this zone was officially US territory.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:39 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I think there are a fairly large amount of people who still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy......I don't think I'd run through the streets saying the sky is falling.

I would hope that the OP would find the people that don't believe in that, there must be a few in this big country.
Ahhh, but Santa Claus DOES exist- about 20 minutes from me.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Funny, cos even if that was true, it doesn't make him inelgible anyway.

You just have to be born an American.

So my son was born in Frimley in Surrey, but wife's American, so he was born an American. Makes him entirely eligible to become President... no pressure

Sorry but it appears that is not the case for your son.

U.S. Constitution, Art. II, Sec. 1, Clause 5: The Presidency:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural..._United_States

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.