British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Almost done with USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/almost-done-usa-681913/)

nun Aug 19th 2010 6:05 pm

Almost done with USA

Is it me or is the USA turning into a country of idiotic bigots? Right after various bloggers and politicians whipped up outrage at the "Ground Zero Mosque", I now read that 18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim (it's 34% amongst Republicans). I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.

pejpm1 Aug 19th 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Almost done with USA

turning into?

Englishtart Aug 19th 2010 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 8788398)
Is it me or is the USA turning into a country of idiotic bigots? Right after various bloggers and politicians whipped up outrage at the "Ground Zero Mosque", I now read that 18% of Americans think O'Bama is a Muslim (it's 34% amongst Republicans). I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.

Where have you been for the last 12 months?

Zonie Aug 19th 2010 6:14 pm

Is it me or is the USA turning into a country of idiotic bigots? Right after various bloggers and politicians whipped up outrage at the "Ground Zero Mosque", I now read that 18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim (it's 34% amongst Republicans). I don't know if I can live here anymore, it's just getting too surreal and scary.

Are you watching too much TV?

dgsyd1 Aug 19th 2010 6:16 pm

Of course the irony is that the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque", is not a mosque, and isn't at Ground Zero. And as far as the incresingly hilarious "Obama is a muslim" argument goes, TBH, so what if he is.

Duncan Roberts Aug 19th 2010 6:20 pm

I also heard that the poll showed that people who thought Obama is christian generally gave him a positive approval, people who didn't know his religion were split and people who thought he is muslin gave him a generally negative approval.

nun Aug 19th 2010 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dgsyd1 (Post 8788421)
Of course the irony is that the so-called "Ground Zero Mosque", is not a mosque, and isn't at Ground Zero. And as far as the incresingly hilarious "Obama is a muslim" argument goes, TBH, so what if he is.

Of course, but that so many people can be so deluded is the scary part. It's also frightening when I find myself longing for the inclusive comments of the Bush Presidency just after 9/11.......

AmerLisa Aug 19th 2010 6:35 pm

Yes, because those 18% or 34% make up the whole of this country. :rolleyes:

tonrob Aug 19th 2010 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8788464)
Yes, because those 18% or 34% make up the whole of this country. :rolleyes:

You've got to admit though it's a fairly large number of people to be harbouring this particular misunderstanding.

Giantaxe Aug 19th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8788511)
You've got to admit though it's a fairly large number of people to be harbouring this particular misunderstanding.

Especially when you couple it with the fact that 27% think he was "definitely or probably born outside the US".

I used to laugh at this stuff, but there really does seem to be a scary side to it in that a significant minority of the population doesn't see him as a "legitimate" President.

AmerLisa Aug 19th 2010 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8788511)

I think there are a fairly large amount of people who still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy......I don't think I'd run through the streets saying the sky is falling.

I would hope that the OP would find the people that don't believe in that, there must be a few in this big country. ;)

AmerLisa Aug 19th 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8788519)
Especially when you couple it with the fact that 27% think he was "definitely or probably born outside the US".

I used to laugh at this stuff, but there really does seem to be a scary side to it in that a significant minority of the population doesn't see him as a "legitimate" President.

I see him as a "one term" President, and I voted for him. Where do I fit in?

The_English_Bride Aug 19th 2010 7:46 pm

To be honest, I am quite entertained by those comments you read after news articles etc. It is scary, though! It's the sheer ignorance and blind agreement that freaks me out the most. DH's grandma always comes out with these opinions after seeing or reading other people's thoughts (typically those people that represent her political affiliation in some way) on say Obama, and suddenly they are her opinions. Worse still she, and others, usually have no evidence or argument as to why these statements or opinions have any truth to them. It's sad. :thumbdown:

Giantaxe Aug 19th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8788530)
I see him as a "one term" President, and I voted for him. Where do I fit in?

I don't see the relevance of your comment?

Giantaxe Aug 19th 2010 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8788527)
I think there are a fairly large amount of people who still believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy......I don't think I'd run through the streets saying the sky is falling.

I'm betting most of them aren't of voting age though :)