Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

all read please

all read please

Old Oct 12th 2002, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

pepsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default all read please

we are worryed , about proving the support kind of thing , we both live with our perents, so we didnt have to waste money on buying or renting some where untill we could be togther, she is still in college education, the only thing we have is our bank account statments , can any one please help us and tell us how strict this side of it is, and is our situtation like to be rejected?

Last edited by pepsi; Oct 13th 2002 at 12:35 am.
Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:47 am
ScarlettHill

Default Re: all read please

Originally posted by pepsi:
we are worryed , about proving the support kind of thing , we both live with our perents, so we didnt have to waste money on buying or renting some where untill we could be togther, she is still in college education, the only thing we have is our bank account statments , can any one please help us and tell us how strict this side of it is, and is our situtation like to be rejected?
Hi Pepsi

(I answered your private message but am copying the info here in case anyone else needs this info)

I'll do my best. You don't say what visa you are applying for but I am going to assume the K1 fiancé visa. If this is not what you are doing then the following information will possibly not be relevant to your case.

If you are applying for a K1 visa, the alien fiancé will need to show 'evidence of support' at her/his interview. The US fiancé usually should provide them with an affidavit of support - form I-134 which you can download from the INS website.

The law requires that financial support meets 125% of whatever the goverment poverty level guidelines are for your particular state in the US. So, for example, if the US fiancé has a job, the simplest way is for them to fill in this form (with supporting documentation such as a letter from the employer, bank statements etc) to prove this.

In my own case, just as an example to help you understand, I am the alien fiancée and I have two children. My fiancé lives in Texas. So he has had to prove he earns 125% above the poverty-line for a family of four in Texas. This is more than $22,000 per year (can't remember the exact figure). If he earned less than this, he would probably have asked his dad, who has a good job, to fill out a second affidavit of support for me. Also I have a firm job offer in the US (this is very unusual so don't worry about it) and so because my fiancé is right on the cusp of that poverty level for Texas I'm going to use this as part of my financial evidence.

Don't be frightened by the figure my fiancé had to prove. First of all, these figures vary from state to state, secondly, remember this is for a family of four. The figure is significantly lower for a family of two.

You can probably find the poverty guideline for your state by doing an internet search using words like poverty, the name of the state, and guidelines. Make sure you're not looking at figures for 2001. They need to be 2002 figures.

Since in your case I believe neither of you are earning, there would need to be a second I-134 filled in by a family member or friend as a kind of guarantor. Or you would need to show a lot of money in the bank. The reason for the law is the consular official wants to be sure the alien will not become a 'public charge' while in the US and will have enough to live on because you are not entitled to state benefits.

I hope this helps. I'm not a lawyer - you should double-check this information. And if you need any more help shout.

Best of luck.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett:

Hi Pepsi

(I answered your private message but am copying the info here in case anyone else needs this info)

I'll do my best. You don't say what visa you are applying for but I am going to assume the K1 fiancé visa. If this is not what you are doing then the following information will possibly not be relevant to your case.

If you are applying for a K1 visa, the alien fiancé will need to show 'evidence of support' at her/his interview. The US fiancé usually should provide them with an affidavit of support - form I-134 which you can download from the INS website.

The law requires that financial support meets 125% of whatever the goverment poverty level guidelines are for your particular state in the US. So, for example, if the US fiancé has a job, the simplest way is for them to fill in this form (with supporting documentation such as a letter from the employer, bank statements etc) to prove this.

In my own case, just as an example to help you understand, I am the alien fiancée and I have two children. My fiancé lives in Texas. So he has had to prove he earns 125% above the poverty-line for a family of four in Texas. This is more than $22,000 per year (can't remember the exact figure). If he earned less than this, he would probably have asked his dad, who has a good job, to fill out a second affidavit of support for me. Also I have a firm job offer in the US (this is very unusual so don't worry about it) and so because my fiancé is right on the cusp of that poverty level for Texas I'm going to use this as part of my financial evidence.

Don't be frightened by the figure my fiancé had to prove. First of all, these figures vary from state to state, secondly, remember this is for a family of four. The figure is significantly lower for a family of two.

You can probably find the poverty guideline for your state by doing an internet search using words like poverty, the name of the state, and guidelines. Make sure you're not looking at figures for 2001. They need to be 2002 figures.

Since in your case I believe neither of you are earning, there would need to be a second I-134 filled in by a family member or friend as a kind of guarantor. Or you would need to show a lot of money in the bank. The reason for the law is the consular official wants to be sure the alien will not become a 'public charge' while in the US and will have enough to live on because you are not entitled to state benefits.

I hope this helps. I'm not a lawyer - you should double-check this information. And if you need any more help shout.

Best of luck.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

yes this is the visa , im talking about thanks alot for your help, and we both work, i just cant find a provity thingy on the internet
Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:15 pm
ScarlettHill

yes this is the visa , im talking about thanks alot for your help, and we both work, i just cant find a provity thingy on the internet
a provity thingy?

can you be more specific so we can help?

Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ScarlettGarrett:

a provity thingy?

can you be more specific so we can help?

sorry, i mean a website showing the state in question (illnois) poverty level so maybe i could get a idea of the figur , i did a few searchs on the internet but maybe there is more of a goverment offical site?
Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tiff is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry, i mean a website showing the state in question (illnois) poverty level so maybe i could get a idea of the figur , i did a few searchs on the internet but maybe there is more of a goverment offical site?
INS Poverty Guideline Chart
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/ho...pp.htm#poverty

Everything you needed to know about Affidavit of Support

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/howdoi/affsupp.htm