Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

Old Oct 9th 2002, 10:53 pm
  #1  
spy
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4
spy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

Hi,

I am new to the forum and am looking to visit New York in early November.

I have narrowed my choice of hotels down to two, WJ and Howard Johnson midtown. WJ looks nice and modern but the Howard Johnson has larger rooms and a restaurant. Can anyone give me any advice on which hotel is better?

Also is this a good area to stay in? or would I be better off somewhere else - I was also looking at the Empire and Holiday Inn Midtown which are nearer to Central Park.

I am hoping to book in the next couple of days so would be very greatful for any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,

spy.
spy is offline  
Old Oct 10th 2002, 12:36 am
  #2  
Dennis Lewis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:53:20 +0000, spy
wrote:
    >I have narrowed my choice of hotels down to two, WJ and Howard Johnson
    >midtown. WJ looks nice and modern but the Howard Johnson has larger
    >rooms and a restaurant. Can anyone give me any advice on which hotel
    >is better?

You mean the Washington Jefferson? Evidently it's undergone quite a
transformation -- from a budget shared-bath facility in the late '90s
to a midrange full-service hotel today. Alas, I can't provide a
personal recommendation on either one. Back when the Washington
Jefferson was a budget shared-bath hotel, I always stayed at its
competitor, The Habitat on East 57th. But The Habitat has remained
budget shared-bath while evidently the Washington Jefferson has moved
upscale, based on its Web site:
http://wjhotel.com/
Trivia: The Washington Jefferson was featured in one scene of Woody
Allen's "Small Time Crooks."

    >Also is this a good area to stay in? or would I be better off somewhere
    >else - I was also looking at the Empire and Holiday Inn Midtown which
    >are nearer to Central Park.

The WJ and Howard Johnson Midtown are convenient to Times Square and
the Port Authority. With a multi-day Metrocard, you can get from the
Times Square or Port Authority subway stations to any neighborhood in
Manhattan fairly quickly. The Empire is convenient to Lincoln Center,
Columbus Circle, and a variety of restaurants along Columbus Avenue.
The Holiday Inn Midtown, on West 57th Street, is located between 9th
and 10th Avenues. Of the hotels you've mentioned, it's probably the
farthest from subway and tourist-related destinations in Manhattan,
though not exceptionally so.
 
Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:02 am
  #3  
spy
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4
spy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

Originally posted by Dennis Lewis:
On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 22:53:20 +0000, spy
wrote:
    >I have narrowed my choice of hotels down to two, WJ and Howard Johnson
    >midtown. WJ looks nice and modern but the Howard Johnson has larger
    >rooms and a restaurant. Can anyone give me any advice on which hotel
    >is better?

You mean the Washington Jefferson? Evidently it's undergone quite a
transformation -- from a budget shared-bath facility in the late '90s
to a midrange full-service hotel today. Alas, I can't provide a
personal recommendation on either one. Back when the Washington
Jefferson was a budget shared-bath hotel, I always stayed at its
competitor, The Habitat on East 57th. But The Habitat has remained
budget shared-bath while evidently the Washington Jefferson has moved
upscale, based on its Web site:
http://wjhotel.com/
Trivia: The Washington Jefferson was featured in one scene of Woody
Allen's "Small Time Crooks."

    >Also is this a good area to stay in? or would I be better off somewhere
    >else - I was also looking at the Empire and Holiday Inn Midtown which
    >are nearer to Central Park.

The WJ and Howard Johnson Midtown are convenient to Times Square and
the Port Authority. With a multi-day Metrocard, you can get from the
Times Square or Port Authority subway stations to any neighborhood in
Manhattan fairly quickly. The Empire is convenient to Lincoln Center,
Columbus Circle, and a variety of restaurants along Columbus Avenue.
The Holiday Inn Midtown, on West 57th Street, is located between 9th
and 10th Avenues. Of the hotels you've mentioned, it's probably the
farthest from subway and tourist-related destinations in Manhattan,
though not exceptionally so.
thanks for the advice. i think i will probably go for the howard johnson as it sounds like the rooms are larger and it has a restaurant in the hotel.
spy is offline  
Old Oct 11th 2002, 2:27 am
  #4  
Rita
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:02:22 +0000, spy
wrote:

    >thanks for the advice. i think i will probably go for the howard
    >johnson as it sounds like the rooms are larger and it has a restaurant
    >in the hotel.

Having a restaurant in your hotel in New York City should be
the last thing on which you make a choice. Howard Johnsons
has a crumby restaurant and there are coffee shops, delis, and
restaurants of all kinds everywhere in the city. You are not going
to be in the boondocks -- you will be in a city with thousands of
places to eat to suit all tastes. To be in New York City and to eat
at Howard Johnsons would be a major sin, almost a crime
 
Old Oct 13th 2002, 8:57 pm
  #5  
Jenifercharles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: New York city hotels: WJ or HoJo?

i stayed at the howard johnsons near times square & the theatre district in
march...great location and the room was pretty big and always clean



 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.