Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Of all countries,why the USA?

Of all countries,why the USA?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:52 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Of all countries,why the USA?

Hi

I'm curious to know why many of you decided on America to relocate to and what is missing in the UK that makes you look else where? From what I hear the UK is a beautiful nation with lots of opportunity just like the States.I would think it difficult to leave your customes and traditions behind for a place so far away.Did you ever consider another country in Europe(Spain,Germany)as an option because it could be an easier place to settle in? I thought many Brits looked down on America? Only "half" joking there.Why America and has your decision been a good one?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all countries,why the USA?

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Hi

I'm curious to know why many of you decided on America to relocate to and what is missing in the UK that makes you look else where? From what I hear the UK is a beautiful nation with lots of opportunity just like the States.I would think it difficult to leave your customes and traditions behind for a place so far away.Did you ever consider another country in Europe(Spain,Germany)as an option because it could be an easier place to settle in? I thought many Brits looked down on America? Only "half" joking there.Why America and has your decision been a good one?
Many of us came here for spouses work or married a USC.

For me it was the souses work, but it was not a good decision all said and done and I am going home in 7 weeks 6 days!. Moved here in October.

I think with children there comes an age where the mountains you face are just too high, also the working ethics here we have found very hard.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - not a again please!!!

This has got to be wind-up...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

only here coz of usc hubs...can't wait to move back home

one thing missing in uk is moi
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

have a search, plenty of threads on this topic for you to get a feel for things already
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Like Loopylorns, we came here on an intracompany transfer.

However, we moved here directly from Singapore, where we lived for 51/2 years. My husband was offered the choice of a post in New York City or Tokyo and he chose NYC as it was a better career move. We never had a strong urge to want to move to the US where all non-citizens are regarded as 'aliens' FFS.

Now his company (British) would like him to take on a new post (good for his career) which mould mean relocating to Beijing or back to London.....however they've told him that as he's the preferred candidate he can work out of New York as we're in the middle of our green card applications as our 18 year old son wants to stay here. I think we will stay here for the next 2 to 5 years max and then relocate.

I'd love to move back to South East Asia for a few years as I love the culture there - it's brilliant to be an expat there, it really is and later in life return to the UK.

I don't want to be an old lady in the USA; want to be back home amongst family, friends and never have to worry about large and confusing medical bills.

I don't think it helps that most of my expat friends have had enough of it here (working in NYC is exhausting) they tell me that they have 'done their time' by making a bit of money and have either left for home or another expat posting and the ones who haven't already gone will be leaving in the next 6-12 months.

Also it seems that living in suburban New Jersey just doesn't do it for me.....

......particularly since I've spent most of the bloody day trying to dry out our basement which was partially flooded and my back is killing me.... Now I've got to go out to Home Depot which probably has nothing left and indeed was closed due to flooding......
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm curious to know why many of you decided on America to relocate to
Marriage to USC
and what is missing in the UK that makes you look else where?
Nothing. Well nothing that made me look elsewhere

From what I hear the UK is a beautiful nation with lots of opportunity just like the States.I would think it difficult to leave your customes and traditions behind for a place so far away.
Yes, yes and yes

Did you ever consider another country in Europe(Spain,Germany)as an option because it could be an easier place to settle in?
No, but wouldn't have minded a 2nd home in Crete.

I thought many Brits looked down on America? Only "half" joking there.
*cough cough*

Why America and has your decision been a good one?
Still deciding after several years.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:11 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

what is missing in the UK that makes you look else where?
A lack of obvious opportunities when I got out of uni. And I would have considered elsewhere in Europe if I had been better at languages. Still do sometimes, as now I am better at picking up foreign languages. Maybe when they kick me out of my current very good job.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:42 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Like Loopylorns, we came here on an intracompany transfer.

However, we moved here directly from Singapore, where we lived for 51/2 years. My husband was offered the choice of a post in New York City or Tokyo and he chose NYC as it was a better career move. We never had a strong urge to want to move to the US where all non-citizens are regarded as 'aliens' FFS.

Now his company (British) would like him to take on a new post (good for his career) which mould mean relocating to Beijing or back to London.....however they've told him that as he's the preferred candidate he can work out of New York as we're in the middle of our green card applications as our 18 year old son wants to stay here. I think we will stay here for the next 2 to 5 years max and then relocate.

I'd love to move back to South East Asia for a few years as I love the culture there - it's brilliant to be an expat there, it really is and later in life return to the UK.

I don't want to be an old lady in the USA; want to be back home amongst family, friends and never have to worry about large and confusing medical bills.

I don't think it helps that most of my expat friends have had enough of it here (working in NYC is exhausting) they tell me that they have 'done their time' by making a bit of money and have either left for home or another expat posting and the ones who haven't already gone will be leaving in the next 6-12 months.

Also it seems that living in suburban New Jersey just doesn't do it for me.....

......particularly since I've spent most of the bloody day trying to dry out our basement which was partially flooded and my back is killing me.... Now I've got to go out to Home Depot which probably has nothing left and indeed was closed due to flooding......
Having lived in NYC and NJ,everything you said about both places I can relate to.They both are very fast pace high stress places which can leave a person wanting a more relax inviroment.How nice it is that you feel comfortable taking a chance traveling and living in various places around the world.

Many people would be afraid to leave home for many reasons,one being that if you stay away too long home will not feel like the right place to return to.I guess it stands to reason at some point the desire to return back to your birth nation can become too strong to ignore.Where ever your plans take you may it be a wonderful experience.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

met a girl

got an intracompany transfer

got married

doing pretty well

would I move back to the UK? probably not because I like the climate and lifestyle in nashville
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:09 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

When I left England, the economy was in the toilet, Thatcher was in #10 and America was the land of milk and honey.......one of the first impressions I had was walking along Santa Cruz boardwalk and finding a 20 lying on the ground with people just walking right past it.......well.......

There was no such thing as "Europe" as it is now.......so it wasn't really that much of an option. Not like now. Australia and Canada were places your Uncle Bob went to 20 years prior and was never heard from again.....

Things do tend to change a bit, dont they?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm closing this thread. The OP should do a search of this forum for other threads of like nature. This question has been asked repeatedly over the last 3 months.

Hi