Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Death to US!

Death to US!

Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:31 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death to US!

Very interesting article. A must read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6547881.stm
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Death to US!

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

there is another thread about this somewhere on here, started earlier this avvie.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:49 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there is another thread about this somewhere on here, started earlier this avvie.
Dang it!!! Cheers though. Hopefully one of the mods can merge it with the original.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:36 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod

The thing that I think pisses most people off about the US is its belief that its better than any other country, they're just so smug.......

It doesn't matter if you're talking to a Republican or a Democrat, a conservative or liberal, they all believe the "shining city on the hill" myth and that they have the best democracy and government in the world, and that they are in some way chosen by God. Whenever, I hear a country or its leaders claiming exceptionalism and divine authority I worry, be it the US, UK, Iran or Israel, I worry......

Now let's all have a moment of silence for Kurt Vonnegut, who said

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

and

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them."

Last edited by nun; Apr 13th 2007 at 6:52 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:04 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The thing that I think pisses most people off about the US is its belief that its better than any other country, they're just so smug.......
I know it's bloody ridiculous. Everybody knows that only we English are entitled to be smug as we are obivously superior to all other nationalities.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:42 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I know it's bloody ridiculous. Everybody knows that only we English are entitled to be smug as we are obivously superior to all other nationalities.
I get the "tongue in cheek" humour, it might be funny if it wasn't true.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Aabryn will become famous soon enoughAabryn will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Death to US!

Great article. It's really satisfying to know Anti-Americanism was born in France.

If there's one thing every American agrees on, it's that the French are rude, total pussies, smell bad, and are horrible tippers.

We hate you too, Frenchies
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aabryn

Great article. It's really satisfying to know Anti-Americanism was born in France.

If there's one thing every American agrees on, it's that the French are rude, total pussies, smell bad, and are horrible tippers.

I don't. Not really. But I don't understand why 'mericans don't like the French. I mean, we've had centuries of fighting with them, invading each other and trying to take over each others thrones and governments. But why do Americans have a grudge?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to BE

btw i don't hate the french......how could i when they produce the very finest champagnes
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danfan
But why do Americans have a grudge?
...I take it you've never waited tables on French tourists before?

Lucky you then. (seriously, they're always total pricks)

I actually don't hate the French, I don't think Americans harbor any real animosity towards them or hard feelings, they are just fun to make fun of and jokes about what pussies the French are maybe the only thing sure to amuse both the right-wing conservatives and the leftist liberals. Kind of like how we feel about Canada, except that Canadians have better attitudes.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

I´ve observed the same attitude towards the french over here in Spain!! Yep, rude and smelly says it all...I´ve never waited table so I can´t comment on the tipping thing. They are quite possibly the world´s worst drivers also from what I have witnessed, no clue whatsoever about lane maintaining or signalling their intentions

Firtreesix
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun

It doesn't matter if you're talking to a Republican or a Democrat, a conservative or liberal, they all believe the "shining city on the hill" myth and that they have the best democracy and government in the world, and that they are in some way chosen by God. Whenever, I hear a country or its leaders claiming exceptionalism and divine authority I worry, be it the US, UK, Iran or Israel, I worry......

Now let's all have a moment of silence for Kurt Vonnegut, who said

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

and

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them."
Actually, as an American and a veteran, there is little that I resent more than when anyone in the U.S. from the President on down uses the "greatest country in the world" remark. I'm shamed by it. I think that my home country has much that is good about it, and much that is bad. Just as with almost any other country. I think you will find more Americans than you would suspect who share my opinion.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dakota44
Actually, as an American and a veteran, there is little that I resent more than when anyone in the U.S. from the President on down uses the "greatest country in the world" remark. I'm shamed by it. I think that my home country has much that is good about it, and much that is bad. Just as with almost any other country. I think you will find more Americans than you would suspect who share my opinion.
Well it does seem a bit arrogant but then pride in one's country is hardly as bad as some traits. Personally, I think that wherever someone is, they should feel is the greatest place there is, and take pride in that fact. The only thing that bugs me, is the opposite... people who are American and have the temerity to speak bad about it. Like the folks who run the site godhatesamerica.com (as well as godhatesfags.com) ...that is the worst thing I think any person can say. Especially when said at the funerals of soldiers who died in battle, it's so infuriating to have people disrespecting the troops who died to protect them. Far more so I think, than the overly patriotic belief in one's country being the 'greatest'
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it does seem a bit arrogant but then pride in one's country is hardly as bad as some traits. Personally, I think that wherever someone is, they should feel is the greatest place there is, and take pride in that fact. The only thing that bugs me, is the opposite... people who are American and have the temerity to speak bad about it. Like the folks who run the site godhatesamerica.com (as well as godhatesfags.com) ...that is the worst thing I think any person can say. Especially when said at the funerals of soldiers who died in battle, it's so infuriating to have people disrespecting the troops who died to protect them. Far more so I think, than the overly patriotic belief in one's country being the 'greatest'
Eveyone needs to vocalize legitimate criticism of their country. It is the silence that is damaging. As for the godhatesfags idiots, they are fringe lunatics. There are times when free speech is a curse.

I can criticize my country and still love it. The same as I can criticize my children and still love them.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dakota44
I agree with you and I've spoken to many Americans who cringe at the way America sometimes portrays itself to the world. I have found most americans to be very generous and welcoming people, but if you make a remark that doesn't fit in with their world view their mood can quickly change.

I'm not limiting this observation to Amercians though as most nationalities are guilty of it to some extent, the US is just the worst, closely followed by the UK and then France

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.