Wikiposts

Albany, NY?

Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:57 am
Banned

Yassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud of
Default Re: Albany, NY?

Originally Posted by robin1234
All very true, but I think even Troy has its charm. Some parts, down near a college (Sage, is it called?) are very pretty. Prices very affordable too (certainly cheaper than Saratoga or Ballston Spa - plus you don't have to rub shoulders with the aristocracy.)

Robin
Troy, NY - "Home of Uncle Sam".
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yassir Arthur
Troy, NY - "Home of Uncle Sam".
Yes, Uncle Sam lived & is buried in Troy; he was born in Arlington, Massachusetts, one of my favorite American towns.

Robin
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:20 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrightontoBoston
Hi,
We are currently living in Oregon, but I have been 'approached' for a job in Albany NY.
Are there any locals that can recommend any cities in the area to research for living in? I'm looking at up to 30 miles away, which I think brings you into Vermont territory....?
Any positives / negatives of living in that area?
Thanks
Hi

I'm curious why you are considering leaving the Oregon area.Is it more than just the cost of living?What do you think of the place in general in terms of things to do and how friendly are the people? Hillsboro is not far from Portland,would a relocation into the city offer more plus' in your opinion? I ask because of my interest in Oregon.

Thanks
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Hi

I'm curious why you are considering leaving the Oregon area.Is it more than just the cost of living?What do you think of the place in general in terms of things to do and how friendly are the people? Hillsboro is not far from Portland,would a relocation into the city offer more plus' in your opinion? I ask because of my interest in Oregon.

Thanks
Hi Yankeemovingabroad, for me it's purely career development, I love the area, and would stay. It will always be special here for me also as it was where my daughter was born this year. Take a look at some of the other threads regarding Oregon, and you will see it's pretty much the consensus of opinion from everyone else in the area! The people are some of the friendliest I have met ANYWHERE, great beer, beautiful scenery, great beer, great wine, great beer.... woops! Portland definitely wins over Seattle for me.
Downtown Portland is very expensive, mainly condo / apartment living, but very easy to get around, plenty of bars and clubs. The only negative I can think of.... PDX is not an easy airport to fly direct to many cities, certainly no UK flights (although a daily flight to Frankfurt) Boston etc you need to change planes, which makes for a long trip if you fly a lot of business. We are actually flying Seattle - Heathrow direct though for our trip back at Christmas which makes for a quickish (9.25 hour) flight - about the same time it takes to get to Boston!!! PM me if you need any info. on any area!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:57 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yankeemovingabroad, for me it's purely career development, I love the area, and would stay. It will always be special here for me also as it was where my daughter was born this year. Take a look at some of the other threads regarding Oregon, and you will see it's pretty much the consensus of opinion from everyone else in the area! The people are some of the friendliest I have met ANYWHERE, great beer, beautiful scenery, great beer, great wine, great beer.... woops! Portland definitely wins over Seattle for me.
Downtown Portland is very expensive, mainly condo / apartment living, but very easy to get around, plenty of bars and clubs. The only negative I can think of.... PDX is not an easy airport to fly direct to many cities, certainly no UK flights (although a daily flight to Frankfurt) Boston etc you need to change planes, which makes for a long trip if you fly a lot of business. We are actually flying Seattle - Heathrow direct though for our trip back at Christmas which makes for a quickish (9.25 hour) flight - about the same time it takes to get to Boston!!! PM me if you need any info. on any area!
Thank you Brighton.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Give me a PM nearer the time you want to start looking. I have some info you will (not might) find useful if you decide to relocate here.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:22 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Tragic bus crash in Albany...

Bus crash
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Thanks again guys/girls for the heads up on the area, I am off house hunting this week, you saved a whole steaming heap of grief, from not having to do so much driving around upstate NY....
If the Rushmeister is still around under an alias, please give us a PM with the details you mentioned - 'I have some info you will (not might) find useful if you decide to relocate here'

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again guys/girls for the heads up on the area, I am off house hunting this week, you saved a whole steaming heap of grief, from not having to do so much driving around upstate NY....
If the Rushmeister is still around under an alias, please give us a PM with the details you mentioned - 'I have some info you will (not might) find useful if you decide to relocate here'

Cheers
Ask Patrick Hasler, he knows him.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:33 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Albany itself is fairly horrible. Cohoes seems to be alright though.

There is a cool pub about 30 mins from Albany on Rt7 called "The Man of Kent"
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Ohhh, pub tips..... now that's what i'm talking about......!!

Cheers!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:54 am

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

If you are into ski sports, Albany can also be a good base for the Vermont mountains (they start about 2 hours away, Okemo, Sugarbush, Killington etc).
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

lentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant future

Um.......watcha Dan u ol' slapper!!!

That would be "Smallbany".....

Wouldn't even let my ex mother in law live there.......
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lentil_curry
Um.......watcha Dan u ol' slapper!!!

That would be "Smallbany".....

Wouldn't even let my ex mother in law live there.......