Albany, NY?

Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough
Default Albany, NY?

Hi,
We are currently living in Oregon, but I have been 'approached' for a job in Albany NY.
Are there any locals that can recommend any cities in the area to research for living in? I'm looking at up to 30 miles away, which I think brings you into Vermont territory....?
Any positives / negatives of living in that area?
Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Albany, NY?

Originally Posted by BrightontoBoston
Hi,
We are currently living in Oregon, but I have been 'approached' for a job in Albany NY.
Are there any locals that can recommend any cities in the area to research for living in? I'm looking at up to 30 miles away, which I think brings you into Vermont territory....?
Thanks
There are a few nice areas around Albany but a few shitholes also. Schentectady is OK..avoid Troy or Rennselear. There are a few nice towns just north of Albany and within reach of the Interstate for commuting.

Best wait for Pat Hasler to reply to this as Im 140 miles from Albany and Pats nearer and knows the town better. I quite like Albany and Im a fussy bastard
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Ok, Ok ! ..... Saratoga is by far the nicest then comes Balston Spa, Glens Falls is cheaper and about 30 mins drive from Albany, Even try Schylerville (Scene of the infamous battle of Saratoga) Cross the line into VT and house prices soar !
I live 65 miles north of Albany and property is extreemely cheap in this town, don't know why cos there is no crime and it's beautiful
Old Nov 11th 2007, 4:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Ok, Ok, Ok ! ..... Saratoga is by far the nicest then comes Balston Spa, Glens Falls is cheaper and about 30 mins drive from Albany, Even try Schylerville (Scene of the infamous battle of Saratoga) Cross the line into VT and house prices soar !
I live 65 miles north of Albany and property is extreemely cheap in this town, don't know why cos there is no crime and it's beautiful
Cheap 'cos you're in the boonies!!!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies guys. Saratoga sure does look a nice area, it's also refreshing to see some more 'sensible' property prices, the Pacific NW is just crazy still.... bloody Californians paying silly prices ;-)
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Thanks for the replies guys. Saratoga sure does look a nice area, it's also refreshing to see some more 'sensible' property prices, the Pacific NW is just crazy still.... bloody Californians paying silly prices ;-)
Pats right Saratoga is a very nice town...and I was trying to remember the name of Ballston Spa but forgot it. I'll be on a course there for 6 days later this month so if there is anything in particular you want me to have a gander at let me know.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

okay, have to ask, but what happened to Boston?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
okay, have to ask, but what happened to Boston?
Nothing...its still a shithole full of plastic paddies.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rushman
LOL! Well, been there got the t'shirt......

It's funny how 9 out of 10 Americans clain to be Irish! ;-) One of my good buddies is as Hispanic looking as you could possibly get, but still claims to be Irish "because he's got a 'Mc' for his name!"

I actually work for semiconductor companies... Intel - Hudson MA (a small and nasty FAB), and now Intel - Hillsboro (there biggest site, where all the crazy new stuff is born). You can probably work out fairly easily what I may head to in NY.....
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

You can probably work out fairly easily what I may head to in NY.....
Cheaper hookers?
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:38 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

There are a few nice areas around Albany but a few shitholes also. Schentectady is OK..avoid Troy or Rennselear. There are a few nice towns just north of Albany and within reach of the Interstate for commuting.

Best wait for Pat Hasler to reply to this as Im 140 miles from Albany and Pats nearer and knows the town better. I quite like Albany and Im a fussy bastard
So what's your nearest largish city? You must be in the boonies, boonies!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Redlippie
So what's your nearest largish city? You must be in the boonies, boonies!
Plattsburg is 70 miles Northest and Albany is 140 miles South east.

In the boonies? Like you wouldnt believe.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

too right
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:13 am
Banned

Yassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud ofYassir Arthur has much to be proud of

Hi,
Thanks
As already said, Saratoga is nice. Its full of tourists in the Summer due to the horse races. If you want modern suburbian living, try Colonie or Niskayuna. Stay away from Schenectady, as the downtown has all the appeal of Beirut. Avoid Troy as it is pretty rough, but Albany itself is very nice in parts and does have cultural offerings such as the State museum, the Egg, etc. But as with any large city, Albany has problems too.
There are many small towns with character if you are looking for something more historical and "small towny".

One last item: The winters are very long and can get very, very cold.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yassir Arthur
As already said, Saratoga is nice. Its full of tourists in the Summer due to the horse races. If you want modern suburbian living, try Colonie or Niskayuna. Stay away from Schenectady, as the downtown has all the appeal of Beirut. Avoid Troy as it is pretty rough, but Albany itself is very nice in parts and does have cultural offerings such as the State museum, the Egg, etc. But as with any large city, Albany has problems too.
There are many small towns with character if you are looking for something more historical and "small towny".

One last item: The winters are very long and can get very, very cold.
All very true, but I think even Troy has its charm. Some parts, down near a college (Sage, is it called?) are very pretty. Prices very affordable too (certainly cheaper than Saratoga or Ballston Spa - plus you don't have to rub shoulders with the aristocracy.)

Robin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.