Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

L2 travelling on own

L2 travelling on own

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all
Default L2 travelling on own

Hi everyone,

I have a L2 visa and may be travelling back to the UK for my brother's wedding in May, along with my 11 year old daughter. Is there anything I need to take with me or do to ensure that I can get back into the U.S. without being with my husband (holder of the L1). I remember when I took my driving test out here I was not allowed to present my I.D. information without my husband being present and showing his at the same time.

Also, any tips for someone who is slightly nervous travelling on her own for the first time?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Default Re: L2 travelling on own

Hi,
You shouldn't have any problems at all travelling on your own on an L2. I flew home a couple of weeks ago and back, and thy jut said, what visa have you got? I said an L2, they said, why have you got an L2? I said because of my husbands work. Fine they said :-) So no problems.

You'll be fine flying on your own, I actually quite enjoyed it - I decided what I was going to eat, and when, and which shops to wonder round, etc etc. As long as you are ever too far away from the gate, you can't go wrong :-)

Have a good trip x
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
Hi,
You shouldn't have any problems at all travelling on your own on an L2. I flew home a couple of weeks ago and back, and thy jut said, what visa have you got? I said an L2, they said, why have you got an L2? I said because of my husbands work. Fine they said :-) So no problems.

You'll be fine flying on your own, I actually quite enjoyed it - I decided what I was going to eat, and when, and which shops to wonder round, etc etc. As long as you are ever too far away from the gate, you can't go wrong :-)

Have a good trip x
Thanks - just out of interest, what part of New Jersey are you in and what part of the UK did you come from?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Thanks - just out of interest, what part of New Jersey are you in and what part of the UK did you come from?
Flew out of Newark, into Heathrow. Live in Bridgewater :-)
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I flew to the UK and back alone several times using the same visa. Our daughter also made the same journey as an unaccompanied minor.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks girls, I feel silly worrying about travelling on my own when your daughter did it, Jerseygirl - do they provide helpers at the airport when the children are under a certain age?

Nannyanne - I live in Morris County - not sure whether that is anywhere near you or not?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks girls, I feel silly worrying about travelling on my own when your daughter did it, Jerseygirl - do they provide helpers at the airport when the children are under a certain age?

Nannyanne - I live in Morris County - not sure whether that is anywhere near you or not?
She was 12 at the time and flew with BA...they were great. She had a full row of seats to herself as they wouldn't let anyone sit by her. She was accompanied from the moment my husband handed her over to the time when I met her at Manchester.

BTW I am in Morris County.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

My husband flies around the world with our 4 year old, and has done since she was a baby. He's always managed just fine, and we didn't drive until last year so he was dealing with public transport a lot of the time too.
As for L2, I took my driving test and nobody asked to see my visa, never mind my passport. I took my state ID for my ID though, maybe your state doesn't have them? The back of my I-94 has the details of my husband's L1 on it if they would ask for that, yours should too.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
My husband flies around the world with our 4 year old, and has done since she was a baby. He's always managed just fine, and we didn't drive until last year so he was dealing with public transport a lot of the time too.
As for L2, I took my driving test and nobody asked to see my visa, never mind my passport. I took my state ID for my ID though, maybe your state doesn't have them? The back of my I-94 has the details of my husband's L1 on it if they would ask for that, yours should too.
In NJ we had to produce our PP c/w visa...I think this was mainly for ID purposes. We took our test within a week or so of arriving so there was no need to obtain a state ID.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In NJ we had to produce our PP c/w visa...I think this was mainly for ID purposes. We took our test within a week or so of arriving so there was no need to obtain a state ID.
Yeah I needed more than a week to learn how to drive! I managed 30 years without needing to drive! Having to worry about more than which stop to ring the bell at was going to take me a while!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Yeah I needed more than a week to learn how to drive! I managed 30 years without needing to drive! Having to worry about more than which stop to ring the bell at was going to take me a while!
Our first priorities were first get a SS number which we did the day after we landed...second get a drving license which we did within the first week.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here in Chicago it's possible to live fairly easily without a car. But my husband works out in the burbs so we ended up caving and getting one.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

I have a L2 visa and may be travelling back to the UK for my brother's wedding in May, along with my 11 year old daughter. Is there anything I need to take with me or do to ensure that I can get back into the U.S. without being with my husband (holder of the L1). I remember when I took my driving test out here I was not allowed to present my I.D. information without my husband being present and showing his at the same time.

Also, any tips for someone who is slightly nervous travelling on her own for the first time?

Thanks
Hi Braintreegirl

You shouldn't have any problems - I did the trip several times (just me and the kids) before we got our green cards.

Good luck with your trip.

Soap addict
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:25 am
Just Joined

CatW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Braintree girl, I, too am from Braintree though I went to school in Chelmsford. Delightful place isn't it? now living in Pasadena, California. Anyway, I have often travelled back to the UK on my L2 visa without my husband who has an L1 and have never had any trouble at all. I was sometimes asked where he worked but that was all. Have also taken kids back on my own and again no problems. And as for travelling on your own, don't worry about it and just ask anyone for help. When I'm with my kids I often find someone from the airline as soon as I walk in the terminal and tell them I am travelling on my own with kids and can they help and they will usually help me with luggage and let me check in at business class check in for speed (though sadly no upgrade). Good luck
CatW
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all I feel much better now. CatW - I don't believe I've found another "Essex" girl. I grew up in Chelmsford and went to Boswells - shame you're now so far away!

Jersey Girl we're actually in Pine Brook - anywhere near you?

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.