Alaska

Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska

Originally Posted by ceesma
I agree. im really keen to discover what it is really like from people who have done it.
I don't recall ever seeing anyone on BE who had gone off-grid in Alaska, and I only remember one relatively frequent poster who lived in Alaska for a few years.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't recall ever seeing anyone on BE who had gone off-grid in Alaska, and I only remember one relatively frequent poster who lived in Alaska for a few years.
I seem to remember 2 who said they were in Alaska but do not recollect anything about utility arrangements.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

There is a very good PBS program called "alone in the wilderness". Very entertaining about a guy who lived
His entire life in a remote area of Alaska. PBS runs the series every few years and also has it on DVD.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you are researching, the way to go is to spend time in Anchorage or Fairbanks (where a lot of people who have done it and left, will be), find some people who are / have done it that meet the specifications you are looking for (thorough societies, outdoor clubs, word-of-mouth etc), and consult books/articles about it that might be available locally there but that you would have never found or even heard of in the UK, as it is a very niche market.

The people who have done it, do not all do it for the same reasons, and have different objectives when doing it and so have completely different lived experiences - you need to narrow down your sample criteria.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

After the day I've had, Alaska sounds awesome. No kids, no almost ex-OH, no former clients being a pita, only grumpy bears. perfect. And it's cool.

and french people I know who support the FN. They're not allowed in, right?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... and french people I know who support the FN. They're not allowed in, right?
You admit to knowing supporters of the FN?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You admit to knowing supporters of the FN?
Why are you surprised?
30% of the voters in my tiny town in france voted for the FN.
?23% of France voted for the FN.

Austin has a large french community. I've just left the french FB group because of the pro-FN propaganda in it.
The FN and their hate policies have been "normalised" in France. You are no longer a social outcast because of supporting them. Thank god I left.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:49 pm

Why are you surprised? ....
It was a reference to admitting it. I image it leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.
.... The FN and their hate policies have been "normalised" in France. You are no longer a social outcast because of supporting them. Thank god I left.
And landed in Trump's America. ..... Maybe you could go back to Britain?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2017 at 9:52 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:51 pm
Austin. TX.

And landed in Trump's America. ..... Maybe you could go back to Britain?
I've had a tough day so F***k off!!!

I'm off to Spain.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:53 pm

I've had a tough day so F***k off!!!

I'm off to Spain.
I hope your evening improves.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:57 pm
Austin. TX.

I hope your evening improves.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

After the day I've had, Alaska sounds awesome. No kids, no almost ex-OH, no former clients being a pita, only grumpy bears. perfect. And it's cool.

North Carolina is perfect.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised the movie "Into the wild" has not been mentioned yet.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

. . . and bears are not even that grumpy. Just tie a tin can to your belt with some pebbles in it so they can hear you coming when you're outside, and they will leave you alone.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:42 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by carcajou
. . . and bears are not even that grumpy. Just tie a tin can to your belt with some pebbles in it so they can hear you coming when you're outside, and they will leave you alone.

I think I should be wearing one of those around the house this evening!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.