Alaska

Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:08 am
Just Joined

ceesma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alaska

Hello all,

Are there any British Expats in Alaska? Or soon to be?

I would especially love to find out more about people who have lived in the interior, off grid. It seems like an amazing (but extremely challenging) way to live.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alaska

I know a number of people who have done this.

Quite often it ends when a chronic health condition kicks up and they need to be nearer to conveniences in a city.

For real survivalists and loners, not people just out for a different experience.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:04 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

'Off grid' people in Alaska are unlikely to have internet access!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
I know a number of people who have done this.

Quite often it ends when a chronic health condition kicks up and they need to be nearer to conveniences in a city.

For real survivalists and loners, not people just out for a different experience.
I once saw a program about a couple who moved to the Yukon, and it was fascinating to see how the self confessed 'wussy' husband transformed in a short time to someone quite happy to get the rifle out and try to call a moose in.

Did any of the people you know write posts or blogs on it?

Thanks for your reply!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ceesma
Are you asking as you're considering a move there? Or is this for another purpose?

Welcome to the forum btw.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I once saw a program about a couple who moved to the Yukon, and it was fascinating to see how the self confessed 'wussy' husband transformed in a short time to someone quite happy to get the rifle out and try to call a moose in.

Thanks for your reply!

No, none. As someone mentioned, those who do this, generally aren't the blogging type.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you asking as you're considering a move there? Or is this for another purpose?

Welcome to the forum btw.
Both/All lol.

I am thinking about it. But i also write/research too.

It's not a kneejerk thing though. It's a long term thing. Seems like the interior would be incredibly challenging. I read the other day about how actually meeting people can become one of the biggest challenges because of the length of time isolated away from human contact. But some people love it. There was a photo essay about a family, the Atchleys, One family's life in the wilderness - BBC News, who seem to have made a real success of it.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
No, none. As someone mentioned, those who do this, generally aren't the blogging type.
Indeed its one of the problems with finding out about moving to the middle of nowhere.

Last thing I would want to do is make a decision like that based on little to no research though.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking about it. But i also write/research too.
Ah, ok. If it's research for anything specific, then do make sure you abide by the site rules i.e. if it's for anything media related, put it in the Media Requests section etc.

If it's just for you moving, then start your research with the Pulaskis Ways article on here as getting a visa could be the trickiest part. Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Best of luck.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok. If it's research for anything specific, then do make sure you abide by the site rules i.e. if it's for anything media related, put it in the Media Requests section etc.

If it's just for you moving, then start your research with the Pulaskis Ways article on here as getting a visa could be the trickiest part. Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Best of luck.
thats brilliant! many thanks. V much appreciated.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You ARE aware that what you see on a TV show is FAR from reality, right?

If you were to base a possible future on something you saw on television, I think you'd be seriously disappointed!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You ARE aware that what you see on a TV show is FAR from reality, right?

If you were to base a possible future on something you saw on television, I think you'd be seriously disappointed!
I agree. im really keen to discover what it is really like from people who have done it.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not off grid, I have an electricity supply, but quite a few people around here are, easier to go PV etc than pay for the connection.

Nothing particularly challenging.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am not off grid, I have an electricity supply, but quite a few people around here are, easier to go PV etc than pay for the connection.

Nothing particularly challenging.
Where are you based? I think one thing for a brit especially would be coming into a life where hunting is an important part of surviving. I would imagine that could be one of the biggest culture shocks.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you based? I think one thing for a brit especially would be coming into a life where hunting is an important part of surviving. I would imagine that could be one of the biggest culture shocks.
Colorado

They have Supermarkets here as I am sure they do in Alaska.

I have put on for my tags this year but I doubt i have enough preference points. You need a lot of land to get one for certain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.