Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Air passenfer duty (APD) changes

Air passenfer duty (APD) changes

Old Jul 6th 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air passenfer duty (APD) changes

I was reading an article today on the telegraph about airlines cancelling flights due to the APD.

You can read it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...el-routes.html

It says that the Dutch have scrapped all flight taxes on flights to/from Holland. Has anyone flown to/from Holland recently and noticed a fall in flight costs?

I also looked up the APD in google and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty

It seems that by November APD will be going up again, so for my family of 4 we will pay 300 quid for the privilege of flying to Gatwick. I might start to look at a flight to Europe and connecting to the UK.....
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Pashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the roughPashtun is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Air passenfer duty (APD) changes

Hey, I used to live there! In Muswell Hill....
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
It seems that by November APD will be going up again, so for my family of 4 we will pay 300 quid for the privilege of flying to Gatwick. I might start to look at a flight to Europe and connecting to the UK.....
That will not save all the APD as you will still pay it on the flight to Europe but it will be cheaper.

My sons always fly to Amsterdam and connect to a US flight from there. There always seem to be good deals going on the KLM/Delta (Northwest) code shares.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shocking amount of additional tax to whack onto passengers, by next year it will be £480 tax for our family of four if we fly from the USA to the UK.
I might try via Amsterdam to see if it's cheaper!

While I was reading the article you posted I saw a link to this story about Ryanair planning on having standing passengers.........
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by While I was reading the article you posted I saw a link to [URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5753477/Ryanair-to-make-passengers-stand.html"
this story [/URL]about Ryanair planning on having standing passengers.........
RyanAir are unbelievable. I can certainly see them shoe horning in an extra 50% but I bet the price reduction gets lost somewhere along the way.

I was talking earlier today with a friend who flies a lot for work. On a recent RyanAir flight he accidentally dropped his wallet but didn't realise until he got home. He called them up and fortunately they had found it and offered to post it to him for £7. He was going back through the same airport a few days later so he just said he'd collect it. When he got there they made him pay a £5 retrieval fee because they had to store it in a secure place for him!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMDA
RyanAir are unbelievable. I can certainly see them shoe horning in an extra 50% but I bet the price reduction gets lost somewhere along the way.

I was talking earlier today with a friend who flies a lot for work. On a recent RyanAir flight he accidentally dropped his wallet but didn't realise until he got home. He called them up and fortunately they had found it and offered to post it to him for £7. He was going back through the same airport a few days later so he just said he'd collect it. When he got there they made him pay a £5 retrieval fee because they had to store it in a secure place for him!
They are money grabbing gits

I've only flown with Ryanair once and that was enough. It was like being on a Northern Line tube train with wings.....
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I was reading an article today on the telegraph about airlines cancelling flights due to the APD.

You can read it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...el-routes.html

It says that the Dutch have scrapped all flight taxes on flights to/from Holland. Has anyone flown to/from Holland recently and noticed a fall in flight costs?

I also looked up the APD in google and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Passenger_Duty

Weird you should post this, yesterday and today I have been looking at flights for Feb next year, all the better prices are flying via Amsterdam with KLM/NWA.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The apparent purpose of the APD tax hike was to reduce carbon emmissions, it looks like all they are going to acheive is an increace in traffic for other european airports and doing nothing for overall emissions, though I'm sure they will claim their plan has worked anyway!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Weird you should post this, yesterday and today I have been looking at flights for Feb next year, all the better prices are flying via Amsterdam with KLM/NWA.
With immaculate timing for this thread Lufthansa has just announced it is suspending its Portland/Frankfurt service from September and Delta (NWA) has informed PDX that their Amsterdam service is at risk as well.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
That's a shocking amount of additional tax to whack onto passengers, by next year it will be £480 tax for our family of four if we fly from the USA to the UK.
I might try via Amsterdam to see if it's cheaper!

While I was reading the article you posted I saw a link to this story about Ryanair planning on having standing passengers.........
While reading that story, I happened to come across this one, which I found incredibly funny!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Governments need to learn if you raise taxes too much, people stop using the services and buying goods etc.

When I make trips home to the US, I always fly out of Bellingham to avoid paying the higher taxes on flights originating in Canada and based on the amount of BC license plates in the parking lot I am not alone.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 8th 2009 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Governments need to learn if you raise taxes too much, people stop using the services and buying goods etc.
Wasn't that the theory behind it though? Aren't they trying to reduce air travel because of those pesky carbon emissions? So ultimately, i wonder if it's the goal to stop air travel completely?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Wasn't that the theory behind it though? Aren't they trying to reduce air travel because of those pesky carbon emissions? So ultimately, i wonder if it's the goal to stop air travel completely?
What they'll no doubt say is that they've been succesful at reducing emissions and air traffic in the UK, but if all they've really done is force people to travel via other airports then overall emissions may not be impacted at all.

It seems to fly in the face of their efforts to expand Stansted and Heathrow though
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
While reading that story, I happened to come across this one, which I found incredibly funny!
Did I read somewhere that they subsequently gave that guy a job, or did I just dream that...?