Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

After almost a decade.....

After almost a decade.....

Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:51 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After almost a decade.....

Originally Posted by garfro
Go Home Mate.........this Country is F,ed up beyond belief, whatever you read about Europes debt put a few 0000s on for the US problem, this country is going down, I have been here 30 plus years and gone from being an Illegal alien to a Home owning, taxpaying, citizen who has earnt great money all these years but have decided that life is not all about money but about quality of life(Americans still believe that lotsa money will give you quality of life) HA HA

sorry to ofend anyone but this place is sad
G
30+ years? Wow, so to put it into perspective, Wham and The Human League were in the charts when you emigrated? Have you been back much since? It's been almost a mere decade for me and I've been told that Britain has changed.

I'd like to go home though. If I were to have been able to assimilate in the US, it would have happened by now. I have tried, but it's like farting against thunder. When you're a triangle trying to fit into a square, you're basically screwed. I'm here because I love my wife though. To an extent, I have to just swallow it and man up. There are people who would trade anything to be in my position; people who are unhappy in the UK and who would fit in better here.

I don't give a crap about money or possessions. As long as I have food, a roof and maybe an internet connection and a source of music, it's all good. The rat race is tiresome, moronic and banal.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
30+ years? Wow, so to put it into perspective, Wham and The Human League were in the charts when you emigrated? Have you been back much since? It's been almost a mere decade for me and I've been told that Britain has changed.

I'd like to go home though. If I were to have been able to assimilate in the US, it would have happened by now. I have tried, but it's like farting against thunder. When you're a triangle trying to fit into a square, you're basically screwed. I'm here because I love my wife though. To an extent, I have to just swallow it and man up. There are people who would trade anything to be in my position; people who are unhappy in the UK and who would fit in better here.

I don't give a crap about money or possessions. As long as I have food, a roof and maybe an internet connection and a source of music, it's all good. The rat race is tiresome, moronic and banal.
Yes i go home as often as i can (been over 2 years though) as i am in the process of getting back there to live, I didnt go back for the first 10-11 years as i thought the US was everything i needed,so it was a big change when i got back but subsequent visits i was impressed at how modern things where getting and how comfortably most people lived, I am moving to N Ireland where i have family and the average wage is approx 13000 gbp per annum, and i think that they live nicely, I think when i get settled i can probably live on 100 pound a week
Remember change is good and i cant see lot of changes going on here in the near future as most people dont like change here.

G
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garfro
but subsequent visits i was impressed at how modern things where getting and how comfortably most people lived, I am

G
I so agree with this. Britain has changed a lot but mostly for the better IMO. Average people have much better lifestyles than they had when I left 20 years ago, the food is a million times better, and the country is more multi-cultural. Some of the old problems remain (the drinking culture for one, racism for another) but some are long gone.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

SadInStates is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly don't think I could go through with it, no offence. When your heart's not in something, no point in going for it half throttle.

My wife and I had a talk tonight anyway. She has accepted that in the long-term, we need to be back in Europe (not necessarily the UK). Both of us want children, but I don't particularly want them here. I would rather take my kids to B&Q, to football matches, to Roman and Norman ruins and castles and many trips to the continent to give them a perspective on other languages and cultures that won't be an $800 flight plus time off work that I really don't have.

Rule Britannia!
I understand what you're saying, but the main thing is that taking out citizenship will give you options. Options to move while your mother in law is able to cope, and options to return if/when she isn't.

You say you want to do all these things with your kids, but you won't be able to if you stay in America for your wife and her mother. That $800 flight to holiday in the UK (which I think is on the low side) will be nearer $3000 with two children in tow.

If you have kids here they will grow up American. We're moving back with 4 of ours (aged 10-16) but the 18 y/o wants to stay here alone. He wants nothing to do with the UK. All his finds and life is here. The 14 & 16 y/os would too if they could. From my perspective it is easier if a move with children occurs before they enter their last year of UK primary school, so about the age of 10. That gives you plenty of time to take out citizenship.
On the other hand if you wait too long for your wife to be able to leave her mother it might not happen at all. We had recently resigned ourselves to not moving back until after the kids were grown, because of their ages now, but then my husband was suddenly made redundant and we seized the opportunity.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:14 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I so agree with this. Britain has changed a lot but mostly for the better IMO. Average people have much better lifestyles than they had when I left 20 years ago, the food is a million times better, and the country is more multi-cultural. Some of the old problems remain (the drinking culture for one, racism for another) but some are long gone.
I disagree. I think British society has changed for the worse.

There are still lots of really nice and honourable people in the UK and if you are careful and lucky you can make sure that these are the people you fill your life with

However, I think there is a large minority (maybe even a majority?) of people whose social skills and beliefs are far worse than was the case 20 years ago.

The media unfortunately bases its content on this section of society as it sells well.

Standard of living? yes I agree the average person is far better off. The problem is they proabably don't realise or appreciate it.

Baaaaahhhhh Humbug!!

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Feb 17th 2012 at 5:15 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew

There are still lots of really nice and honourable people in the UK and if you are careful and lucky you can make sure that these are the people you fill your life with

However, I think there is a large minority (maybe even a majority?) of people whose social skills and beliefs are far worse than was the case 20 years ago.

The media unfortunately bases its content on this section of society as it sells well.

Standard of living? yes I agree the average person is far better off. The problem is they proabably don't realise or appreciate it.

Baaaaahhhhh Humbug!!
How do you know this if you're living in Dubai and only go on quick trips back to the UK? Stop reading the Daily Mail!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!

I wonder how far back we'd have to go before we stopped finding people saying things were better in their day.

Stuff changes, some things get worse, some things get better, but if you step back and look at the big picture, it's generally always for the better.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:39 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
How do you know this if you're living in Dubai and only go on quick trips back to the UK? Stop reading the Daily Mail!
Because I spend between 2 months and 3 months per year in UK, have relatives and friends there, have 2 grown up children there who I pick up a lot of information from and - no I dont read the DM.

I have also taught UK children (and had contact with their parents) for a total and of 21 years prior to moving overseas. I have seen how parental and childrens attitudes have changed considerably.

I base my comments on personal experience not heresay and the DM
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:43 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!

I wonder how far back we'd have to go before we stopped finding people saying things were better in their day.

Stuff changes, some things get worse, some things get better, but if you step back and look at the big picture, it's generally always for the better.
This doesnt negate what I have said.

I'm not saying everything was better (you will see I agree with your comments about SoL), I just think societal values and behaviour have worsened on the whole.

I don't have a lawn, I live in an apartment, but if I had one I would be happy to share it with you
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Victor Meldrew, you choose to live in Dubai, a country that has slave labour. How dare you get snooty about values in the UK! I wouldn't even visit Dubai, on moral and ethical grounds.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:16 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:18 pm
Banned

After the day I've had today, I'm just about ready to jump on a plane. Me and the wife are due a long talk.

Meldrew, the UK isn't the only place where society has worsened. Unfortunately, it's a global trend
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

After the day I've had today, I'm just about ready to jump on a plane. Me and the wife are due a long talk.

Meldrew, the UK isn't the only place where society has worsened. Unfortunately, it's a global trend
What happened to you today?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:49 pm
Finally Home!

This doesnt negate what I have said.
You might not think it does, but I do. (Even though I appreciate the offer to share your lawn ).

As we get older, we always think things were better when we were younger. We cast a rosy glow over the past and see the present in the worst light because we don't understand the new mores as well as we understood the old ones.

Today's young kids in hoodies will one day be bemoaning "the youth of today" and their kids will do the same and on and on.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

I think its just as simple as this........All of us have a sense of belonging that is inherent and the longer we are away from this the more it nags away. For some it becomes to much of a pull and we need to go back. So for good or for bad warts n all.....Blighty is always home (for me)...........So why am I still in NZ 20 years on? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.